Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When Do You Exercise?
Ariana 02:49 PM 12-09-2015
When do you all find time to exercise? I feel so lazy and tired at the beginning and end of each day that I have completely stopped exercising and as you can imagine I have slowly gained about 20 pounds over this past year I don't even have kids 3 mornings a week but I use that time to catch up on cleaning/laundry/shopping.

How do you do it? What do you do for exercise? Help me
Rockgirl 03:01 PM 12-09-2015
I run or go to the gym at 5 AM. It's the only time that works for me. At first it's hard to get up that early, but it gets easier. And the hardest part is rolling out of bed--the rest is easy!
Michael 03:03 PM 12-09-2015
Usually early in the morning or around sunset. Just taking a 15 minute walk can get your metabolism moving. I also start out the day with Dr Schultz's SuperFood which keeps me going. I'll even take it again in the afternoon.
Febby 04:14 PM 12-09-2015
I ride my horse 4-5 days per week (after work or during the day on weekends). I used to jog, but it gets dark so early now and I don't like running in the dark. I also leave for work at sunrise so same problem in the morning.

And I have the bad eating habit of not eating when I'm busy or have been busy, which has me eating minimal amounts during the day, and then I go home and lay down and usually microwave some rice.
midaycare 04:40 PM 12-09-2015
I used to be an exercise queen. Then I gained weight - while exercising. Real weight, real pant sizes. I went from a 6 to a 10. All the while nothing changed.

So I saw a nutritionist- who said I ate excellent - and she had me add in weights. I gained more weight and went to a size 12.

I was very frustrated and saw the doctor - many times. Low carb, high fat diets make the weight fall off me, but not crazy low carb. Lower than 100 grams per day.

Now I might walk a few times a week, but really, I'm very active in the daycare and with DH and DS. It's not a priority anymore, and I feel really good
Unregistered 07:28 PM 12-09-2015
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I used to be an exercise queen. Then I gained weight - while exercising. Real weight, real pant sizes. I went from a 6 to a 10. All the while nothing changed.

So I saw a nutritionist- who said I ate excellent - and she had me add in weights. I gained more weight and went to a size 12.

I was very frustrated and saw the doctor - many times. Low carb, high fat diets make the weight fall off me, but not crazy low carb. Lower than 100 grams per day.

Now I might walk a few times a week, but really, I'm very active in the daycare and with DH and DS. It's not a priority anymore, and I feel really good
My mom was a big women. I'm talking almost 400lbs before she died. Not like she become 400 and died. She was about 400lbs for almost 20 years. I think some bodies are just more prone to putting it one. She ate a lot, but rarely junk and HATED sweets. Everyone in the family was skinny. Her siblings, her parents, even extended family except for one aunt who was about 500lbs. With both these women (my mom and great aunt), they could exercise and lived to be very old. My great aunt was very fluffy. My mom had fat, but she a tone to her.
childcaremom 12:41 AM 12-10-2015
Originally Posted by Ariana:
When do you all find time to exercise? I feel so lazy and tired at the beginning and end of each day that I have completely stopped exercising and as you can imagine I have slowly gained about 20 pounds over this past year I don't even have kids 3 mornings a week but I use that time to catch up on cleaning/laundry/shopping.

The best times for me are mornings. I used to get up and head to the gym for 5 am. Now I'm trying to get out after dinner for a walk.

I gained some weight this past year, as well, so am making it a priority to get it off. I feel better when I'm more active, too. We spend a lot of time outside so I make sure i'm always moving with the dcks. I try to fit in my yoga at some point during the day (usually rest time).

Good luck! It's not easy getting started but once you make the commitment and get going, you will miss it when it doesn't happen.
Annalee 04:57 AM 12-10-2015
30 minutes walking in the evening....usually on the treadmill since the time has changed...I don't necessarily do it to lose weight but it sure makes me feel tons better.....a great stress relief.....the best is when I can walk outdoors....I love just walking and clearing my head when there is nothing but me and the road! Even if cars are flying by, I just tune all that out......great therapy for stress relief!
momofsix 06:01 AM 12-10-2015
I'm really struggling with this too. I'm so afraid of tripping and falling over something in the dark while running. It's dark before 5:30 here now I hate running on the treadmill, mine is so old and LOUD, but that's what I've been doing lately. I generally try to hop on as soon as the kids leave-family dinner either waits or they can eat without me...I've got a 25k coming up in the spring I need to train for so I really can't not run.
If i had 3 mornings a week free that would be my dream! Use at least half an hour for exercise and you'll still have time for the other stuff. Starting is the hardest part, once you get going you'll be so glad you did!
Rockgirl 06:09 AM 12-10-2015
Originally Posted by momofsix:
I'm really struggling with this too. I'm so afraid of tripping and falling over something in the dark while running. It's dark before 5:30 here now I hate running on the treadmill, mine is so old and LOUD, but that's what I've been doing lately. I generally try to hop on as soon as the kids leave-family dinner either waits or they can eat without me...I've got a 25k coming up in the spring I need to train for so I really can't not run.
If i had 3 mornings a week free that would be my dream! Use at least half an hour for exercise and you'll still have time for the other stuff. Starting is the hardest part, once you get going you'll be so glad you did!
I so understand this! I try to always be training for something....I need a goal to keep me going. I've been running at 5 AM for a few years now, but I run with at least one other person, sometimes more. We stick to the major streets because they are well-lit, and we wear LED reflective vests. I really enjoy it!
Unregistered 07:04 AM 12-10-2015
Running up and downstairs in the morning bringing supplies needed for day down.

Lifting munchkins in and out of pack n play & on and off change tables.

Hokie Pokie, Head & Shoulder, Knees & Toes and other goofy dancing with kids.

Hauling the youngest two up and down stairs for outside time.

While outside sprinting across yard to keep toddlers away from swing set and off picnic tables etc.

Loading and unloading Quad stroller with kids and going for walks.
daycare 08:26 AM 12-10-2015
Originally Posted by Ariana:

you have to find something that you like to do and make it a daily habit.

what interest you? do you like running? jogging? walking etc.

once you find out what it is that you like to do then you will find what time of the day most interest you to do these things.

I like lifting weights, so for me it's first thing in the morning and I run at night. Well before I injured myself I ran at night, but that is my schedule every day. I don't miss a day ever. You need to form a new habit and get yourself past the 30 day mark of consistency. then it will happen as naturally as sleeping.

do you like to join gym? a lot of the women here like to do that dancing class, it looks like a ton of fun, but I have two left feet so I just admire from afar.
permanentvacation 09:59 AM 12-10-2015
In the morning before daycare, at night before bed, during nap time, and during free play time at daycare.

I walk on my treadmill, ride my stationary exercise bike, and lift weights on my home gym in my basement during nap time. We are legally allowed to be on another floor in the house while the kids are asleep. I also bought things that I can use to exercise with that can be used while I'm watching the kids during free play. Inside, I have a mini-bicycle. It's just the pedals. I sit in my desk chair and peddle away while the kids are playing. I also have one free weight that I use to do arm curls, wrist curls, and whatever it's called when you hold the dumbbell in your hand, start with your arm straight in the air like you're raising your hand in school, then bend your arm to put the dumbbell to the top of your back. I also have an exercise resistance band that I use and hand squeeze things that work on your hand muscles.

Outside, on my porch, I have a mini-trampoline that I jump on while the kids are playing.

Since I don't sweat too much while doing the exercising I just told you about, I can do them during the daycare day without needing to take a shower. I am still doing my job completely legally (regarding going in the basement during nap time), and I am monitoring the children as well as talking with them during free play and outdoor play.

Between exercising and working at my 2 new part-time jobs (which keep me moving at work and keep me away from my refrigerator!), I've lost 16 pounds in the past 3 weeks!
Blackcat31 10:25 AM 12-10-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Running up and downstairs in the morning bringing supplies needed for day down.

Lifting munchkins in and out of pack n play & on and off change tables.

Hokie Pokie, Head & Shoulder, Knees & Toes and other goofy dancing with kids.

Hauling the youngest two up and down stairs for outside time.

While outside sprinting across yard to keep toddlers away from swing set and off picnic tables etc.

Loading and unloading Quad stroller with kids and going for walks.

I used to think this too but then I found out that once your body becomes accustomed to doing those activities, it becomes normal activity for your body and not considered "exercise" to lose weight.

You have to raise your heart rate for at least 10 minutes* before your body burns more calories than it is used to doing on a daily basis. *(I'm pretty sure that is the #)
daycare 10:42 AM 12-10-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I used to think this too but then I found out that once your body becomes accustomed to doing those activities, it becomes normal activity for your body and not considered "exercise" to lose weight.

You have to raise your heart rate for at least 10 minutes* before your body burns more calories than it is used to doing on a daily basis. *(I'm pretty sure that is the #)
yes you are correct!!
Annalee 10:53 AM 12-10-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Dh tried the "But, I walk all day long at work" tactic on his doctor" but the doctor cleared that up right quick....The doctor told him if he would walk 30 minutes a day, fast or slow, just steady walking, he would feel so much better and he would be surprised how his health would benefit. Does my dh walk? NO but it was good information. So I am the one doing the walking!
DaveA 11:08 AM 12-10-2015
Not that it counts as "exercise" so to speak, but I've taken to starting my day at my garage workbench. I spend about 30 min doing some of the basic shop handwork: hand polishing, handle/ guard fitting, sheaths, etc. Like I said- not really exercise but I find that when I'm working in the garage in the morning I stay on the lower end of my normal weight range.

My wife prefers to work out first thing in the morning unless it is long runs or rides. Me, well I'm allergic to exercise
midaycare 11:15 AM 12-10-2015
I'm in an exercise funk right now - especially since I have been losing just with diet, but as to what I do when I exercise: lately it's the rebounder. It's a fairly cheap piece of equipment, gets toxins out of your body, tightens and firms, and the average person loses around 75 calories every 12 minutes.
laundrymom 12:29 PM 12-10-2015
I don't officially exercise. I just build physical things I to my day. I don't have time for an extra chore. I make one bag trips to the car/house from grocery. I park mid way in lot. I walk briskly to get mail. To clear yard toys. I push now an acre. I clean my windows weekly. I take extra steps throughout the day and it adds up. I've lost from a 22 to a 10 in three years.
Ariana 12:40 PM 12-10-2015
Thanks everyone!!

I am VERY active during the day with the kids obviously and I will even do yoga and go for walks with the kids and I have a 3 floor house so I am always going up and down stairs...not to mention cleaning up after toddlers...but it never makes a difference. Sometimes I think if I had a desk job I'd be 300lbs

I think going for walks (which is my favorite exercise besides swimming) in the morning is what I may start doing. The before school kid I have is leaving in January so I will be able to get out earlier while my husband is here. I also really like juicing so I might start that up again. I really need to get this weight off it is driving me nutty and exercise is so good for stress which I really think is half of my weight problem.
Tags:exercise
Reply Up