Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Do With Infants Anyway?
legomom922 03:59 AM 01-04-2011
I just wondered how you all entertain infants in the 4-8 moth range. My variable hrs moms baby who is 6 month, is very needy, and if he is not geing held all the time, he screams..all day..I put him in the excersaucer, the jumperoo, now a walker, swing etc, and all he does is cry!If I put him down on the floor for tummytime he cries..I have never had to watch him along with another child before, but since DCM changed her hrs, I will now have him along with my 2.5 DCG, and I'm not sure how I am going to take care of her and him at the same time because all he will do is cry. So what kinds of things do you do in this situation or even when you take care of more than 1 infant? Do you just them them CIO while you are tending to other infants/children?
mickey2 04:19 AM 01-04-2011
Yes I do let them cry it out while I am tending to other things. There is no reason why a baby this age can not sit in an exersaucer or jumparoo or play on the floor or in a pack n play. I know babies need a lot of attention and need to be played with a lot but this child is just used to being constantly entertained and the sooner you get baby out of this the better for you and your daycare kids. It will take time though and you will feel like pulling your hair out but once baby learns, (and he will) your day will go a lot better. I've gone through it a few times. I just went through it for about a month with my own grandson whom I care for full time along with my 5 other daycare children. Mom never put him down for the whole 11 months that she was home with him. He wanted to be held or constantly played with ALL the time. Impossible! Unless mom wants to leave him with someone who has only him & pay for one on one care!
mac60 04:40 AM 01-04-2011
I have 2 that are 1 1/2 and just turned 1. They are such whiners all of the time. Never content for more than a few minutes. My daycare space is my family room, so at 12 months and 1 1/2, I don't want them freely roaming the room as they won't stay off the furniture, out of the tv, away from the fireplace, etc. So, they either play in the high chair, or in my enclosed play area where they can crawl, walk, play and move around. When I have exhausted those options with them and they are not content, they go to bed. I never allowed my own two kids to freely crawl on my furniture, play with my tv, etc, and I will not allow the dc kids either. There is nothing wrong with a young child...under age 2....until they learn what no means, to play in an enclosed play area to keep them safe and out of things until they can understand.
Cat Herder 04:54 AM 01-04-2011
I do it a bit different, I guess. I do not do swings, bouncers, or any restraint type of device...except for when they are newborn (6-12 weeks) and the parents bring me their swing for a few weeks (only if they are already habituated to it). I wean them off quick, though, since I feel strongly that is why so many infants scream whenever their feet hit the floor.

I only use exersaucers on the outdoor playground so the bigger kids can play without littles underfoot and littles are able to see everything but not eat the mulch . I do not use high chairs until they are able to sit up unassisted; I feed them in bean bag chairs when they are still spoon fed (easier/safer for me with more than one infant).

Each child gets their own "half wall" divided playroom 36 ft with play mat flooring. Infants each have their own toys, "gym mats" with mobiles and the divider walls are decorated with hanging toys and tactile cloths/boards. They learn to roll, crawl and walk in their own little safe house free from toddler domination , but are still able to see everyone. Each infant I accept is a large investment and since I only enroll infants I am very selective .

There is also one large central area for group activities and a huge indoor climber with tunnels and slides. It is a very "physical" setup but allows each child their own individualized quiet space as well. I initially set this playroom up for my own three children and it has served me very well over the years.
legomom922 05:16 AM 01-04-2011
Ok, so it's ok then if I lay this baby on his back in a safe area, and just let him roll around, crawl around and continue to cry? When I put him in the excersaucers etc, and he cries, I should just let him to continue to cry? I feel bad, and I'm sure he is spoiled at home, but I just cannot hold and play with this baby every minute. I just didn't know if just letting him cry all the time was acceptable to do or not, and I know tomorrow I am going to have a stressful day!
countrymom 05:24 AM 01-04-2011
if there is nothing wrong with him and if he's fed and bum is cleaned then don't worry if he cries. don't worry it will take some time before he gets the hang of it, but I think once they realize they can play all by themselves it will make their lives so much easier.
mickey2 05:26 AM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by legomom922:
Ok, so it's ok then if I lay this baby on his back in a safe area, and just let him roll around, crawl around and continue to cry? When I put him in the excersaucers etc, and he cries, I should just let him to continue to cry? I feel bad, and I'm sure he is spoiled at home, but I just cannot hold and play with this baby every minute. I just didn't know if just letting him cry all the time was acceptable to do or not, and I know tomorrow I am going to have a stressful day!
Yes let him cry. As long as he is safe, Its not going to hurt him. Let him see you, talk to him, interact with him, but let him learn that you can not entertain him for the whole day! He will soon learn to pay attention to his toys, what is going on around him etc. Yes it is going to be very stressful until he is trained! I call my training period with babies, "baby boot camp"
SilverSabre25 05:28 AM 01-04-2011
What I do with babies...try to keep them happy and occupied long enough to do something else.
Cat Herder 05:36 AM 01-04-2011
Ok, so it's ok then if I lay this baby on his back in a safe area, and just let him roll around, crawl around and continue to cry?
Absolutely. He will learn that it does not work and that you will come to him when he needs something regardless of the crying. Eventually there is not payoff for doing it and he will move on to something else.
ammama 05:46 AM 01-04-2011
I bought a really great (expensive though) baby carrier that comfortably holds big babies. If I have a 6 month old who wants to be carried, I carry them. Put them on my back, and let them stay there. I only take on one infant under 18 months at a time though, so that makes it easier.
legomom922 05:51 AM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by ammama:
I bought a really great (expensive though) baby carrier that comfortably holds big babies. If I have a 6 month old who wants to be carried, I carry them. Put them on my back, and let them stay there. I only take on one infant under 18 months at a time though, so that makes it easier.
Doesnt that kinda enforce the behavior that you dont want though? I want to break him of the habit of being held all the time.
SilverSabre25 05:58 AM 01-04-2011
Doesnt that kinda enforce the behavior that you dont want though? I want to break him of the habit of being held all the time.
Some babies do need more holding, this is true, and baby carriers let that happen while you can still do things. Not every baby is interested in being worn, though, and not every provider is interested in babywearing--this is why I never suggest it here. Babywearing is awesome, though, and useful for more than just babies if you have the right carrier.

Eventually, they do outgrow the need to be held a lot and are more content to be down on the ground doing their own thing.
Daycare_Mama 07:19 AM 01-04-2011
Yes, I let them CIO if I know they have been fed, changed, and are not tired. Like pp said, there's no reason a baby of that age can't play by themselves for a little while. That is how they learn to roll over, etc. I had a baby like the one you described that I had to term because I couldn't take the screaming nonstop anymore. She was 6 months old (I had her since she was 8 weeks) and she still couldn't roll over and I gave her lots of tummy time. She was held constantly at home and slept with parents for naps and bedtime. So, as you can imagine, she did not do well here when I can't (and won't) sleep with them to get them to go to sleep and when I can't (and won't) hold them the whole time they are here.

I had never had a baby like this in all my years of working as a nanny, in infant rooms, and doing daycare. There are just some babies that will not do well in a daycare setting, although a lot of it is how the parents treat that baby at home.

On a side note, are you keeping the baby then? Did mom agree to set days/hours?
MommyMuffin 07:21 AM 01-04-2011
I have a 4 month old in care now and am expecting my new baby soon and then will have my own in july so in order to be fully prepared for so many babies I am trying to make this 4 month old have good habits.

I have tried my best to establish a routine with this 4 month old; as much as they let you! haha He does get spoiled too at home, I just do what you do and change his positions...swing..floor...bouncer..I will hold him for short periods besides..rocking to sleep and feeding. But I do not hold him all day.

If he is fine as far as feeding, diapering, sleeping and I have changed positons I will let him cry for a little while. He is safe..and you keep your sanity.

I let him cry within reason and then just try everything over again. Hopefully your 4 month old will adapt to your house and not being held all the time.
kidkair 07:39 AM 01-04-2011
It may very well be easier with another kid because babies love kids. I'm one of the ones who believe you cannot hold a baby too much before six months. Between 6 and 8 months I'd transistion to more away time but I don't expect periods over 5-10 minutes of independent play until they are crawling and exploring.
legomom922 07:48 AM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by Daycare_Mama:
On a side note, are you keeping the baby then? Did mom agree to set days/hours?
No havent heard from her since yesterday when she stomped out of here...This was just another problem with this family, and tomorrow she is suppose to bring him here, (unless she texts me tonight and changes her schedule again!) and he will be here for the 1st time with the 2.5 DCG, whom I really enjoy a ton and I've had her since she was only 4months, and so I don't know how the day will go with him screaming the whole time and bothering DCG. She takes great naps, at least 2-3hrs (she is here for 12 hrs tues/wed) and I dont want him waking her up, as he is coming from 12-4 and she goes down for her nap at from 1-4.

Just another reason to get rid of them! LOL
laundrymom 09:28 AM 01-04-2011
Could you post a pic or email me one? Invert interested in details of this
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I do it a bit different, I guess. I do not do swings, bouncers, or any restraint type of device...except for when they are newborn (6-12 weeks) and the parents bring me their swing for a few weeks (only if they are already habituated to it). I wean them off quick, though, since I feel strongly that is why so many infants scream whenever their feet hit the floor.

I only use exersaucers on the outdoor playground so the bigger kids can play without littles underfoot and littles are able to see everything but not eat the mulch . I do not use high chairs until they are able to sit up unassisted; I feed them in bean bag chairs when they are still spoon fed (easier/safer for me with more than one infant).

Each child gets their own "half wall" divided playroom 36 ft with play mat flooring. Infants each have their own toys, "gym mats" with mobiles and the divider walls are decorated with hanging toys and tactile cloths/boards. They learn to roll, crawl and walk in their own little safe house free from toddler domination , but are still able to see everyone. Each infant I accept is a large investment and since I only enroll infants I am very selective .

There is also one large central area for group activities and a huge indoor climber with tunnels and slides. It is a very "physical" setup but allows each child their own individualized quiet space as well. I initially set this playroom up for my own three children and it has served me very well over the years.

Francine 09:39 AM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Could you post a pic or email me one? Invert interested in details of this
I was going to ask the same thing.
Cat Herder 09:41 AM 01-04-2011
Sure...will send private messages.

Sent messages, but my folder is not showing them as sent, let me know if you got them...ok?
Michael 12:13 PM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Sure...will send private messages.

Sent messages, but my folder is not showing them as sent, let me know if you got them...ok?
When you "Send New Message" look below the message area and smileys. You will see "Miscellaneous Options", There is a box to check off that reads: Save a copy of this message in your Sent Items folder.
Cat Herder 12:34 PM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by Michael:
When you "Send New Message" look below the message area and smileys. You will see "Miscellaneous Options", There is a box to check off that reads: Save a copy of this message in your Sent Items folder.
Thank you, problem solved... With room distractions talking about things you know in short blurbs is easy...learning new things, not so much
legomom922 02:46 PM 01-04-2011
Well I won't have to worry about what to do with him tomorrow anyway...DCM pulled the plug on me...Doesn't suprise me at all really...
ammama 04:28 PM 01-04-2011
With babies that young, I figure, if they are crying to be held, then for whatever reason, they need to be held. They don't spend all their time on my back, and it tends to go down as they get older. I have never had a child who wanted to be carried all the time, forever. Again, I only take one baby at a time, so I don't have the problem of trying to spread myself around to multiple babies at once. My other dck's know that the babies needs have to met immediately, and that for the most part, they can wait for a minute until I can help them. I enjoyed babywearing with my kids though - you always know where they are, and that they are ok - so it was natural for me to do it with other people's babies too.
AfterSchoolMom 10:15 AM 02-09-2011
I'm bumping this up, because I'd like to see what other people have to say about this!
marniewon 10:59 AM 02-09-2011
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
I'm bumping this up, because I'd like to see what other people have to say about this!
I didn't go back through to read all of the responses (I did when it was first posted, but don't remember all of them) but I'll put in my 2 cents .

I have an almost 4mo old dcb who, up until this week, didn't really sleep in the afternoon (he's only here from 1-5 3days a week). Here's what we do here: When he first gets here, and after naps, I'll hold him for a little while. I have two "seats" that he likes to play with. One is a rocking chair type thing and the seat vibrates. He likes that for a little bit because he can see everything going on. I have another seat that the seat part vibrates, and it has something over top of it that lights up and plays music. It's the type where when baby pulls on the hanging toys it lights up and plays different music, so it's interactive to a small point. I have a blanket type toy that has mobile type toys over and baby can use hands and/or feet to play.

Then there's feeding and diapering time. If he's fussy I will rock him for a little while. I don't want him to get used to me rocking him every time he's fussy, but I don't want him to have to "fend for himself either".

I'm not exactly sure what I would do all day if he was here all day though. Being that young he doesn't like to be in one spot more than a few minutes. I think it would be kind of like an obstacle course, me moving him from one activity to the next every few minutes, all day long
jen 11:20 AM 02-09-2011
I tie 'em up!

Ha! I start really loving my infants once they can sit up! They are just so much for fun then. In the mean time I just keep moving them around...tummy time, different toys, I cart them around with me....It's sort of a waiting game until they are just slightly more functional!

If I were going to be really, really honest, I don't think that daycare for 10+ hours a day, 5 days a week is AT ALL good for babies that young. JMHO.
AfterSchoolMom 11:25 AM 02-09-2011
I have one here now that's almost 4mo. I do a bouncer (w/o a toy bar, so they just sit and look around, or I'll give them a toy to hold/chew), a baby gym to lie under, tummy time (5 or so minutes is the max they'll tolerate), and I just introduced the saucer. I've been rotating from one to the other, along with some holding and lots of face to face interaction/talking.

I'm just wondering if constantly moving from one to the other of the same things, each and every day isn't stimulating enough for a 4 mo?
SandeeAR 11:50 AM 02-09-2011
I've had two that were held at home a lot. Parents don't realize, they are starved for time with the little one and the two of them pass baby back and forth for the few hours they have them. Even if they have other children, there are "still two of them" vs. one of us! Then the next day, we get them for 6-10 hours, along with several other kids and can't/won't do that.

One I broke of the crying here all the time and now dck only cries when dck needs something. The other one, is learning. I don't hold all the time, even if I have the time. I do hold and play with all the kids in a rotation basis.

dck spends a little time in the saucer, the floor, the swing, the bumbo, my lap etc. When dck is full and dry and not sleepy, I let dck cry while in the saucer while I fix lunch, give out dck a bottle etc. I also try, very hard, to NOT pick up dck when crying. I try to catch that moment that they stop and pick them up them.

Stick with it, and they will learn.
gatorgirl 07:00 PM 02-22-2011
Do you have a sling or mei tei? Wearing the fussy baby on your back will allow him to be soothed and you to go about your work with other kids. Best of both worlds.

I do not agree that 'children cry; it's what they do'. Children cry because they need something and sometimes that's closeness.
Tags:infant, infant care
Reply Up