Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Another Infant Tied Up
Cat Herder 12:08 PM 10-24-2018
"A sheet was used to tie him around his thighs and around his arms and chest," said the Millers. "It was told to us that it was a tactic used to keep him from 'wallowing' around while he was sleeping."

They went on to say the child was placed on his belly and sweating profusely.

DHS said one staff member was placed on a 'safety plan' and that the infant room was closed while staff members were retrained. A follow-up inspection on Sept. 20 found no violations." - https://www.wkrn.com/top-news/tennes...ime/1521157123

*I would have been under the jail if that happened here.
hwichlaz 12:28 PM 10-24-2018
I'm wondering if the infant was really tied, or swaddled. I think that would be the difference between an arrest and job loss or safety plan.
Cat Herder 12:45 PM 10-24-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
I'm wondering if the infant was really tied, or swaddled. I think that would be the difference between an arrest and job loss or safety plan.
As I read it, this was an infant, covered with a blanket, tied up in sheets, placed on his belly, overheated.

"Our son, laying there, 9-months-old, on his belly," said the baby's father Linell Miller. "Had this blanket, and as Miss Brandy pulls the blanket back from his feet, back to his neck, there I see a sheet had his feet tied up, his legs, and his thighs - double knotted."
hwichlaz 12:49 PM 10-24-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
As I read it, this was an infant, covered with a blanket, tied up in sheets, placed on his belly, overheated.

"Our son, laying there, 9-months-old, on his belly," said the baby's father Linell Miller. "Had this blanket, and as Miss Brandy pulls the blanket back from his feet, back to his neck, there I see a sheet had his feet tied up, his legs, and his thighs - double knotted."
one of my old swaddle cloths for my kids, had a tie on it though. The belly in combo with the swaddle would freak me the heck out. So I guess i'd want to see for myself before judging....probably because it's hard to believe people are that stupid.
CalCare 01:04 PM 10-24-2018
Definitely first instinct is to think, no no there must be something wrong in the report- cause no one is that stupid. Unfortunately lots are that stupid.
Speaking of stupid, "keep him from wallowing"?! Okay. Far from my main concern for a child at nap time. No wallowing, kids! Better make sure no one wallows today. Better tie em up.
BrynleeJean 01:29 PM 10-24-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
This!

I’d read a another story of an infant tied up in a similar fashion. Seems like swaddling to me. Which we are allowed to do here but not lay them down after . So i guess we can swaddle to soothe and rock them for a while then unswaddle to lay them in their bare firm cribs but I don’t swaddle either way because of this right here

I and feel like I’ve seen that kind of swaddle catherder!
Not to sound harsh but i really hope they were doing something unjust and not just getting punished for swaddling a crying baby. News can be so cruel.
Cat Herder 01:59 PM 10-24-2018
Swaddling is against regs/laws in most states, though. To my knowledge, Tennessee is one of them. I would have to look it up again and I have a parent due any minute.
Josiegirl 02:17 PM 10-24-2018
Ok, maybe I'm different but I would never swaddle a 9 mo anyways??!! A newborn is a whole different thing; and I don't think I ever even swaddled my own when they were newborns. But a 9 mo? No way. Nine mos toss and turn and get themselves into all kinds of positions and some are even pulling themselves into standing position. Swaddling? No way in he!!. Retraining staff?? Maybe they need to retrain the whole entire center because someone must've thought it was ok. And to me, it's just not.

After reading the article, he was "swaddled", covered in a blanket AND placed on his stomach. As well as other infants covered with blankets. As much talk as there is about safe sleep now, WTH????
Annalee 03:09 PM 10-24-2018
"A sheet was used to tie him around his thighs and around his arms and chest," said the Millers. "It was told to us that it was a tactic used to keep him from 'wallowing' around while he was sleeping."

DHS said one staff member was placed on a 'safety plan' and that the infant room was closed while staff members were retrained. A follow-up inspection on Sept. 20 found no violations." - https://www.wkrn.com/top-news/tennes...ime/1521157123

This is in my state but not sure where exactly this is, but I can't believe they didn't shut them down. Providers have been shut down for much, much less. I am stunned!!!!!
Annalee 03:10 PM 10-24-2018
Swaddling is against regs/laws in most states, though. To my knowledge, Tennessee is one of them. I would have to look it up again and I have a parent due any minute.
You are correct, no swaddling! Sleepsacks with no blankets or anything else in the beds.
Annalee 03:21 PM 10-24-2018

I pm'd you CH!
Cat Herder 04:57 PM 10-24-2018
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I pm'd you CH!
Just got it. Thank you! Goodnight
Cat Herder 06:30 AM 10-25-2018
I don't believe it was a one time fluke.

*All of these were during inspections (several more unrelated to this topic as well). In a 4 year period. Literally witnessed by inspectors onsite. A rational person would have to question why they are allowed to get away with things other providers would not and what services look like when nobody is watching.

Observation: The teacher stated during the assessment that children are taken for a ride in the stroller outdoors but not taken outdoors to play. The director confirmed the teacher's statement on October 7, 2015.

Observation: On September 9, 2015 during the assessment an infant was placed in a swing at 10:40 am and not removed until 11:12 am. Rules require infants not remain in restraint devices more than 30 minutes. The child was left in the swing 32 minutes.

Observation: During the assessment on 9.9.15 a 15 minute sleep check was not conducted on an infant. A physical check was due at 11:07 am. At 11:12 am the assessor asked the staff to complete a physical check and it was completed at that time.

Observation: A child in the Infant/Toddler classroom was not signed in at drop off as required.

Observation: The director failed to ensure that all children are signed in daily, as required.

Observations: The director reports there is currently no staff certified in First Aid. He said he will arrange for this training next week even though the children are on fall break.

Observations: New infant enrolled about one (1) month ago had no file with an application, health history, proof of immunizations, and no proof of a physical. Mr.. Phillips states this infant’s older sibling is enrolled too.

Observations: PE observed pre-school educator remove a child’s medicine, liquid Tylenol, from a child’s back pack and place it in a tall cabinet which is out of children’s reach. PE also noticed this medication was not labeled with the child’s name. The director corrected these violations by adding the child’s name to the medicine and placing the bottle in a locked box.

Observation: Due to educator’s knowingly not following safe sleep procedures by swaddling infants and using blankets they did demonstrate capability of performing their duties satisfactorily.

Observation: On Aug 30, 2018, a 9 month old was restrained in a blanket during nap time and also covered with another blanket. In addition a 3 month old has been swaddled on a regular basis. Infants napping in pack ‘n plays were covered with blankets.

Observation: Management did not evaluate the program and staff adequately to ensure that staff were following rules and providing safe care.

Annalee 06:57 AM 10-25-2018

*All of these were during inspections (several more unrelated to this topic as well). In a 4 year period. Literally witnessed by inspectors onsite. A rational person would have to question why they are allowed to get away with things other providers would not and what services look like when nobody is watching.

Observation: The teacher stated during the assessment that children are taken for a ride in the stroller outdoors but not taken outdoors to play. The director confirmed the teacher's statement on October 7, 2015.

Observation: On September 9, 2015 during the assessment an infant was placed in a swing at 10:40 am and not removed until 11:12 am. Rules require infants not remain in restraint devices more than 30 minutes. The child was left in the swing 32 minutes.

Observation: During the assessment on 9.9.15 a 15 minute sleep check was not conducted on an infant. A physical check was due at 11:07 am. At 11:12 am the assessor asked the staff to complete a physical check and it was completed at that time.

Observation: A child in the Infant/Toddler classroom was not signed in at drop off as required.

Observation: The director failed to ensure that all children are signed in daily, as required.

Observations: The director reports there is currently no staff certified in First Aid. He said he will arrange for this training next week even though the children are on fall break.

Observations: New infant enrolled about one (1) month ago had no file with an application, health history, proof of immunizations, and no proof of a physical. Mr.. Phillips states this infant’s older sibling is enrolled too.

Observations: PE observed pre-school educator remove a child’s medicine, liquid Tylenol, from a child’s back pack and place it in a tall cabinet which is out of children’s reach. PE also noticed this medication was not labeled with the child’s name. The director corrected these violations by adding the child’s name to the medicine and placing the bottle in a locked box.

Observation: Due to educator’s knowingly not following safe sleep procedures by swaddling infants and using blankets they did demonstrate capability of performing their duties satisfactorily.

Observation: On Aug 30, 2018, a 9 month old was restrained in a blanket during nap time and also covered with another blanket. In addition a 3 month old has been swaddled on a regular basis. Infants napping in pack ‘n plays were covered with blankets.

Observation: Management did not evaluate the program and staff adequately to ensure that staff were following rules and providing safe care.
Yep and I bet most parents dropped their kids off the very next morning
Cat Herder 07:00 AM 10-25-2018
Yep and I bet most parents dropped their kids off the very next morning
Probably. So many parents don't know how to access their providers' records. Others just assume it won't happen to their kid because they are special, somehow.
Annalee 08:03 AM 10-25-2018
Probably. So many parents don't know how to access their providers' records. Others just assume it won't happen to their kid because they are special, somehow.
Here, the violations are placed on the door....so parents should have known.
mommyneedsadayoff 09:52 AM 10-25-2018

That has to be missing the word NOT right?? How is it satisfactory to use unsafe sleep practices? And the outdoor thing really bothers me. They only take them outside when they're in containment devices, so they get no free play. They go from strapped in the stroller, to strapped in a swing or high chair, to strapped in their pack and play! How the hell is this place still operating?
Cat Herder 11:10 AM 10-25-2018
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
That has to be missing the word NOT right?? How is it satisfactory to use unsafe sleep practices? And the outdoor thing really bothers me. They only take them outside when they're in containment devices, so they get no free play. They go from strapped in the stroller, to strapped in a swing or high chair, to strapped in their pack and play! How the hell is this place still operating?
I don't know. Only one provider was put on a safety plan. Others were "retrained" by the next day.

Corrective Action: One staff was put on a safety plan. Staff are being retrained. 09/11/2018

Corrective Action: Infant room was closed for retraining of staff. 09/11/2018

09/12/2018 Safety Plan Served Follow-Up Visit Safety Plan Monitoring Visit No Violations Found

(copy and paste)
LysesKids 12:54 PM 10-25-2018
This is in my state but not sure where exactly this is, but I can't believe they didn't shut them down. Providers have been shut down for much, much less. I am stunned!!!!!
Madisonville is Monroe Co... halfway between Chattanooga & Knoxville areas. I guarantee Blount or Knox would have shut the daycare down; parents can look up online when & how inspections went too, inc violations; most don't know they can do that
coloradoprovider 12:55 PM 10-26-2018
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Ok, maybe I'm different but I would never swaddle a 9 mo anyways??!! A newborn is a whole different thing; and I don't think I ever even swaddled my own when they were newborns. But a 9 mo? No way. Nine mos toss and turn and get themselves into all kinds of positions and some are even pulling themselves into standing position. Swaddling? No way in he!!. Retraining staff?? Maybe they need to retrain the whole entire center because someone must've thought it was ok. And to me, it's just not.

After reading the article, he was "swaddled", covered in a blanket AND placed on his stomach. As well as other infants covered with blankets. As much talk as there is about safe sleep now, WTH????
So much wrong with this - seriously? Had no one been trained on safe sleep?
Tags:confinement, confinement equipment, infant, safe sleep, sids, sids prevention, strapped, tied
Reply Up