Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Are You Going to "Enhance" Your Illness Policy?
Valerie928 01:21 PM 03-04-2020
In regards to the new virus. Those of us with higher risk folks in our homes. Will you tighten the belt if you have a surge of coronavirus cases in your town? Will you keep things the same? Some of us have very compliant parents, other parents don't care and try to get away with things. Just wondering.
Cat Herder 01:25 PM 03-04-2020
Our public school system just lowered fevers to 99 for exclusion, added in two extra handwashing breaks, and 30-day foreign travel exclusions.

Most make sense, except for the 30 days. 2 weeks should suffice.

The kids get to do home study, so parents will just love it.
AmyKidsCo 01:22 PM 03-06-2020
I'm considering lowering my fever temp to 100 instead of 101, but that's because I read an article saying that the average healthy temperature is a degree lower than it used to be.

I found my H1N1 letter and figured I'd redo it and send it out again. I might add if the local school district closes I'll close also, but haven't decided if that would be a paid or unpaid closure. Currently I'm paid for all closings except if I close because I'm sick.
Valerie928 01:53 PM 03-06-2020
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
I'm considering lowering my fever temp to 100 instead of 101, but that's because I read an article saying that the average healthy temperature is a degree lower than it used to be.

I found my H1N1 letter and figured I'd redo it and send it out again. I might add if the local school district closes I'll close also, but haven't decided if that would be a paid or unpaid closure. Currently I'm paid for all closings except if I close because I'm sick.
I too will close if my local school closes.
maelb05 07:09 AM 03-11-2020
I have decided I will close if the district schools close. I am still going back and forth on whether or not to charge. Depending on the length of a possible school closure, I am thinking about charging a percentage of the weekly rate as it would be hard to go an extended time without pay. Trying to think about the safety/health of all involved as well as what would be fair for both the families and myself in terms of payments in this situation.
We also have spring break coming up this next week. I have a couple families taking vacations, one family going to Mexico. My son is headed to NYC for a high school trip as well. I am letting all of my families know that my son will be traveling and will also be reminding my families that are traveling to be very aware of any symptoms they may start to have upon their returns.
Cat Herder 07:16 AM 03-11-2020
I just read a heartwarming paper saying coronaviruses can live on surfaces from between 48 hours to 28 days. Yes, days. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...ruses-persist?

I think I will cut the numbers of toys, soft surfaces and dress clothing down for a bit to make my cleaning routine more effective.

These overkill QRIS toy supply lists will just have to wait, they are overstimulating and causing them to bore more easily, anyway.
Snowmom 07:23 AM 03-11-2020
Originally Posted by maelb05:
I have decided I will close if the district schools close. I am still going back and forth on whether or not to charge. Depending on the length of a possible school closure, I am thinking about charging a percentage of the weekly rate as it would be hard to go an extended time without pay. Trying to think about the safety/health of all involved as well as what would be fair for both the families and myself in terms of payments in this situation.
We also have spring break coming up this next week. I have a couple families taking vacations, one family going to Mexico. My son is headed to NYC for a high school trip as well. I am letting all of my families know that my son will be traveling and will also be reminding my families that are traveling to be very aware of any symptoms they may start to have upon their returns.
Most cases aren't showing any symptoms for a week. By then, you've already exposed others.
Most kids infected are showing only cold symptoms. So tightening policies is a good idea, but again, by the time they show any cold like symptoms, it's too late.

I'm glad I'm always stocked on Lysol, wipes & cleaners (being a germaphobe) because that's really the best you can do to protect yourself. Although, the 2 kids who full on wet sneezed in my face the past week... no way in preventing that!

I honestly wish they'd just ban all travel for 2 weeks. It's two flipping weeks. People will survive without their vacation. Most businesses have already done this for their employees... personal travel should be banned too!
Valerie928 10:43 AM 03-11-2020
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
Most cases aren't showing any symptoms for a week. By then, you've already exposed others.
Most kids infected are showing only cold symptoms. So tightening policies is a good idea, but again, by the time they show any cold like symptoms, it's too late.

I'm glad I'm always stocked on Lysol, wipes & cleaners (being a germaphobe) because that's really the best you can do to protect yourself. Although, the 2 kids who full on wet sneezed in my face the past week... no way in preventing that!

I honestly wish they'd just ban all travel for 2 weeks. It's two flipping weeks. People will survive without their vacation. Most businesses have already done this for their employees... personal travel should be banned too!

I agree, no travel
Annalee 10:54 AM 03-11-2020
I have handed out info from emails I have received from licensing and clarified I will "continue" my sickness-prevention protocol/policy. All parents know I get paid 52 weeks a year.

I have reiterated that I would send home for excessive mucus, cough, etc. per our policy already in place and continue to wash hands often.

Granted, the schools, academically and athletically, are "acting" on the spread of germs but so far they are open for classes. Not sure what I will do if this changes.

This is going to get "testy" before it is finished, but I am not hitting the panic button. Got too much else to worry about to do that!
Jo123ABC 04:18 PM 03-11-2020
I did. I sent a text to everyone telling them I will be really strict in regards to illness and to please keep their kids home. I reminded them of the coronavirus, flu, and my 8th month of pregnancy as reasons for excluding kids with colds.
MomBoss 05:06 AM 03-12-2020
Im thinking about exclusion for any cold symptoms. Is this fair? I have a child that has an immunodeficiency so id like to keep that dck safe as well as my family.
Still trying to figure out payment. If the country shuts down like italy, then i wont charge or if mortgage and utilities are giving extentions or no late fees then i will close. But i have to be able to pay my bills.
VAmomof4 06:48 AM 03-12-2020
I won't enhance my policy but I will remind the parents to reread my illness policy. Our county has closed schools until March 20th. Now I'm trying to decide if I should close or do limited hours and if I should charge for being closed. I will let my parents know if they are asked to work from home or their business closes down that they will need to keep their kids home with them.
Blackcat31 06:49 AM 03-12-2020
The information we got from licensing says to do what we normally do as far as exclusion policies etc. I haven't really changed anything I normally do as we are in cold and flu season here and the info from licensing says "COVID-19 symptoms are similar to these more common infections, it is far more likely that anyone in Minnesota with respiratory symptoms is suffering from a cold or flu."

I have parents that work in our hospital systems, school systems and banking systems. I have a parent that works in a job that requires entering pretty much every convenience store, gas station and grocery store in the county as well as a parent that provides services IN homes all over the county as well.

Exposure to others, directly and indirectly is something that really cannot be prevented other than via extreme isolation so like I said, my plan is to simply do what I've always done and be consistent and firm about hand washing and other sanitary routines.

My husband has a autoimmune disease and we've always been pretty strict with illness/exclusion so my daycare parents are all very understanding as well as diligent themselves about stuff so I feel pretty comfy about the situation so thus far.
Ariana 04:01 PM 03-12-2020
I was going to enhance and take a “wait and see” approach but my City is getting really proactive and things are starting to shut down. Businesses, the NHL, concerts, schools etc. So I have decided to close for the next 3 weeks. My families are ok with it and can handle it so it makes the decision easier for me. I have one family that might be slightly burdened but they seemed like they could make it work.

My husband has severe asthma and has attacks when he gets the regular flu so I am worried about him getting it since it is a respiratory infection. I am not sure if it is worse or the same as the flu for asthmatics but his employer and DR told him to stay home.
Tags:coronavirus, exclusion policy, flu policy, flu season, illness policy
Reply Up