Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:01 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Default Two Potential Clients - 1 Spot - Help Me Choose Please

I just had two interviews for my last spot. Neither were perfect so I'm looking for the lesser. I currently have 1- 5y old, 2 -4 year olds, 2- 3 year olds, a 2.5y old, and a 28m old. The 2.5y old starts next week and one of my 4 year olds and my 28m old is a handful - both boys.

Okay:
#1 - Girl, 27m old
at a babysitter so not used to a schedule
interviewing other daycares so won't know until next Thursday
Looking for long term care
I'd be working until 4:45/5pm (everyone else is gone at 4:30)
Parents seem hands on and seem to "get it" and they she loves playing with other kids
Takes good naps

#2 - Boy, 3years old in Jan. - picked up by 4:30
Already at a daycare with my same type schedule
Mom is a student, switching because she is switching schools (daycare at the school).
Parents say he listens well at home but teachers have said he doesn't like authority. (Seemed okay at my house)
State Pay until March - This would be my first state pay so may be hard, not sure.
Kind of Wishywashy on how long they need care. May not need summer, next year or when he is potty trained may take him to college school some days (Has to be potty trained)
May or Maynot have problems with policies with parents. Was hard to tell.
They said they would like the spot.
I do like that he would be coming from structure, pick up at 4:30 and is almost 3y but the rest worries me.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:08 PM
mommyof5-and going crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WImom View Post
I just had two interviews for my last spot. Neither were perfect so I'm looking for the lesser. I currently have 1- 5y old, 2 -4 year olds, 2- 3 year olds, a 2.5y old, and a 28m old. The 2.5y old starts next week and one of my 4 year olds and my 28m old is a handful - both boys.

Okay:
#1 - Girl, 27m old
Parents seem hands on and seem to "get it" and they she loves playing with other kids
Takes good naps

Mom is a student, switching because she is switching schools (daycare at the school).
Parents say he listens well at home but teachers have said he doesn't like authority. (Seemed okay at my house)
State Pay until March - This would be my first state pay so may be hard, not sure.
Kind of Wishywashy on how long they need care. May not need summer, next year or when he is potty trained may take him to college school some days (Has to be potty trained)
I do like that he would be coming from structure, pick up at 4:30 and is almost 3y but the rest worries me.

I would take #1! There is more potential for long term care, especially given her age. I don't see any red flags, I feel the rest can be worked out. It seems like the parents would work with you so I'd definitely take that one.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:13 PM
Hurt Betrayed Confused

If it were me, I'd take the girl. They're looking for long-term care, and Mom seems like she "gets" it.

The boy's situation seems unpredictable, and you may find yourself going through interviews in less than 6 months.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:48 PM
Group DCP in Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
If it were me, I'd take the girl. They're looking for long-term care, and Mom seems like she "gets" it.

The boy's situation seems unpredictable, and you may find yourself going through interviews in less than 6 months.
Agreed
Old 12-04-2013, 07:55 PM
Daycare.com Member

I'd take the girl. Even though she has been with a babysitter and not on a schedule, having parents who "get it" means a whole lot. The boy's parents seem unsure about their plans and, like you said, wishy washy. Changing schools, changing daycares, not sure how long they will need daycare... I can't judge why they're doing those things, but it doesn't speak well to long-term stability if that's what you want.

Maybe charge a bit more since you'll be working longer hours.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:58 PM
Daycare.com Member

I would take the girl. There seems to be more stability there. They are doing their homework and checking out other daycares and that speaks volumes to me. #2 seems to have a lot of unknowns and not real reliable. If they are state assistance, do they have a copay and do you think they would pay it? I wouldn't say no to #2 until you know what #1 is going to do. Good luck.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:55 AM
Daycare.com Member

I vote #1 also. The second one sounds like you can't depend on them reliably.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:30 AM
Daycare.com Member

I agree! I would take the girl.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:33 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post

I would also take #1.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:36 AM
Daycare.com Member

I would take the girl. If the boy's parents have already alluded to an issue with authority with last daycare, unpredictable, possible policy issues, and then state pay alone would be a deal breaker for me
Old 12-05-2013, 07:35 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:

Okay:
#1 - Girl, 27m old
Takes good naps

For the bolded reasons, I would choose the boy. I value my family time and closing later when I had the option to close earlier would just seem silly for me. I'd be willing to take my chances with the uncertain length of time that I'd have him - in reality all our clients' longevity is uncertain anyways.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:39 AM

Quote:

Okay:
#1 - Girl, 27m old
Takes good naps

May or Maynot have problems with policies with parents. Was hard to tell
I would take the first option. I value routine, commitment on the parent's behalf and a child that is "moldable" into my routine verses one who has so many unknowns and/or variables.

The 15 minutes more that the first family requires isn't enough to have me stressed. It would be different if it were 30-60 minutes or more.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:33 AM
Matilda Jane Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycarediva View Post
I would take the girl. If the boy's parents have already alluded to an issue with authority with last daycare, unpredictable, possible policy issues, and then state pay alone would be a deal breaker for me
All of this. Definitely take the girl.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:16 AM
Family Childcare Provider

#1- seems like it would be more stable and long term.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:16 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I let the 1st family know I was interested and would wait for them until next Thursday which is when they will decide after the other daycare visit. Mom even said dad checked with his work and he could work until 4:30 instead of 5:00 so hopefully they go with me.

I'm trying to decide what to do with the other family. They don't need care until January when mom goes back to school so do I contact them (by phone - I don't email) to let them know I will make a decision by next Friday or just wait until I know for sure? I prefer email for these things so it sucks all I have is a phone number. I asked mom for phone/email for contact info and noticed after they left she only left email.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
I let the 1st family know I was interested and would wait for them until next Thursday which is when they will decide after the other daycare visit. Mom even said dad checked with his work and he could work until 4:30 instead of 5:00 so hopefully they go with me.

I'm trying to decide what to do with the other family. They don't need care until January when mom goes back to school so do I contact them (by phone - I don't email) to let them know I will make a decision by next Friday or just wait until I know for sure? I prefer email for these things so it sucks all I have is a phone number. I asked mom for phone/email for contact info and noticed after they left she only left email.
I would contact them and thank them for their interest in your program and that you are still conducting interviews but will have a for sure answer for them by next Friday.

That way, you still have the option of taking them if family #1 doesn't pan out.

Plus, it seems like a nice thing to do (contacting the 2nd family with an update) do they will remember you as professional in case they should ever need you in the future..kwim?