Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 10-09-2017, 01:17 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default New Kid TV Addict

I have a 14 mth old starting today. He has been at another daycare that was "unreliable" and the TV was on all day.

He was referred to me by another local provider who often sends me referrals (she's almost retired and has back issues and doesn't take babies/toddlers any more). Referring provider also confirmed that the previous provider had issues.

So...turns out that dcb14mth has major separation, and the only thing that distracts him is (1) watching a show and (2) even better watching it while on someone's lap. <sigh> Not possible, especially the lap.

So...has anyone had to wean a transferring toddler off a previous bad environment?

His crying has been so bad that I was ready to call for pick up. I'm going to try outdoor time next when I'm done typing this. Right now DH, who has today off, is holding him so I could eat my lunch. But this is obviously not going to work all the time. I'm wondering if I should keep trying to tackle this or not...and if so...how long does it take to wean a TV addict.

And a toddler!!!! Most one year olds can't watch a tv show to save their lives, and this kid is sitting through a Land Before Time MOVIE!!!! 70 minutes. Not normal!
Old 10-09-2017, 01:30 PM
Daycare.com Member

I've had a child (12mths at the time) come to me from another bad environment but tv wasn't her problem. For her, it seemed to help her adjust with me giving her as much positive praise and reassurance as possible and to speak in a soft voice when talking to her. She also didn't want to be out of my sight. She has adjusted well and though she still prefers to always be wherever I'm at, she's a whole new kid. Even her parents/grandparents have commented on how much better she is doing in my care. She's been with me since August and I'd say it took abut a month for her to adjust and learn the routines and rules here. I wouldn't take tv away altogether but I would work on decreasing it time wise each day. And odds are that this other provider never showed him how to play or engage in other activities so I'd work on introducing as many new activities as possible. I'm sure as he learns how much fun there is to be had away from the tv that he'll soon forget about it. I'd also ask DCM/DCD to limit tv at home while he is adjusting.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Two View Post
I have a 14 mth old starting today. He has been at another daycare that was "unreliable" and the TV was on all day.

He was referred to me by another local provider who often sends me referrals (she's almost retired and has back issues and doesn't take babies/toddlers any more). Referring provider also confirmed that the previous provider had issues.

So...turns out that dcb14mth has major separation, and the only thing that distracts him is (1) watching a show and (2) even better watching it while on someone's lap. <sigh> Not possible, especially the lap.

So...has anyone had to wean a transferring toddler off a previous bad environment?

His crying has been so bad that I was ready to call for pick up. I'm going to try outdoor time next when I'm done typing this. Right now DH, who has today off, is holding him so I could eat my lunch. But this is obviously not going to work all the time. I'm wondering if I should keep trying to tackle this or not...and if so...how long does it take to wean a TV addict.

And a toddler!!!! Most one year olds can't watch a tv show to save their lives, and this kid is sitting through a Land Before Time MOVIE!!!! 70 minutes. Not normal!
Do you have TV on at all for any amount of time during the day?

I honestly give new kids (baring anything obvious) 2 weeks to get with the program so to speak so if his crying didn't decrease day by day, I would not keep him.

Do you know if his parents allow TV or tablet use at home or is this all a side effect from previous daycare? I would think if the parents don't allow TV at home that he would be used to at least one environment that was TV free and not having it at your house shouldn't be such a shock.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:02 PM
Daycare.com Member

What about music instead of tv? I have a little one that had some adjustment issues and I discovered it was the lack of noise (other than from kids) that bugged him. Music along with time has done wonders for him.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:06 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleExplorers View Post
What about music instead of tv? I have a little one that had some adjustment issues and I discovered it was the lack of noise (other than from kids) that bugged him. Music along with time has done wonders for him.
I agree with music I would rip off the band aid with the tv, so to speak. I wouldn't allow it until there's an adjustment. It might be an awful 2-3 weeks, sorry
Old 10-09-2017, 02:25 PM
Daycare.com Member

How much tv time does he get at home? Odd that this association is just in child care, kwim? What crutch are the parents using?

Music, outside, cold turkey. I wouldn't hold or coddle, reassurance, sure. He will either adjust or not.

It's going to be TOUGH. Electronics are highly addictive, and now he has to learn to play. With toys that are passive objects, no less. EEK.

I have one kid here who asks me daily where my batteries are, he's always looking for the compartments and trying to make toys do things. Eg. animal toys, he will pick them up and turn them over looking for a button to push. Ask him what he thinks they say and he says "I don't know the batteries are out." UGH.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:56 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleExplorers View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by midaycare View Post
I agree with music I would rip off the band aid with the tv, so to speak. I wouldn't allow it until there's an adjustment. It might be an awful 2-3 weeks, sorry
Yes, I'll try music tomorrow. I remember that helped my newer 3 yo (been here 6 mths) a lot during her worst separation anxiety.

Some of these adjustments...oh boy! The morning was harder due to having the 3 mth old here who needs quite lot from me. It's a bit hard with them both.

I hope tomorrow goes a bit better!
Old 10-09-2017, 04:48 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Bubbles also help. Maybe music and some bubbles to pull his attention. You basically have to compete with a tv for a bit until he weans off.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:09 AM
Daycare.com Member

Today he's down to just sobbing constantly rather than yelling like he did yesterday. But after 2 1/2 hours of crying this morning, I put him in his crib to see if he needed a rest. I know for sure I do!

I think the music helped a little. He does stop crying sometimes, but mainly he wants to sit by the front door and pat it.

We went outside yesterday afternoon and he liked that better, but still fussed and cried quite a bit. No interest in ANYTHING.

Mom says they don't watch TV at home. idk

Mom and dcb stopped by on Sunday afternoon to drop off paperwork, and they stayed for quite a while. Dcb played sooo well. He loved the toys. I thought he was just a little one yo tornado--speed crawling and into everything. But nope. Without mom, he loves nothing!

When mom picked up yesterday, the sun sure came out. He was all smiles and waves, just like he had been on Sunday.

I've been cuddling him a lot today and he does like it briefly, but not enough to keep him away from the front door. <sigh>
Old 10-10-2017, 11:28 AM
Daycare.com Member

Maybe THAT is why the other daycare was using TV? Either that or the kid was screaming? idk. Poor kiddo, poor you!
Old 10-10-2017, 01:59 PM
Daycare.com Member

It sounds like he's got other issues beyond the TV time. But I know my own kid turns into a growling monster after just a few minutes of screen time, so why add to the troubles? I would use the transition to your daycare as the opportunity to go cold turkey. It'll be rough transition in any case and maybe it ultimately won't work out, but setting a precedent for screen time to soothe the kids can only come around and bite you in the butt.

Tags
television, tv addict