Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Are Trampolines Allowed In California?
JaydensMommy 10:40 AM 07-03-2015
The last time I had a visit from licensing, I asked and was told they were allowed. I read on some threads here that they are not. Anyone have one in California or been told they are allowed? I looked through the regulations and don't see them mentioned.
JaydensMommy 10:47 AM 07-03-2015
I guess I should mention I wouldn't be allowing the daycare children on it. It would only be for my son to use outside of daycare hours. My in laws are wanting to buy him one for his birthday this weekend and I have no way of calling licensing to ask until next week.
Controlled Chaos 12:08 PM 07-03-2015
I dont live in Cali, but we were told if we wanted a trampoline but not for daycare use, we just needed to flip it over during daycare hours.
JaydensMommy 04:21 PM 07-03-2015
Thank you for your response. I guess no one in Cali knows the answer to this question. I will have to call licensing and find out for sure.
sharlan 08:51 PM 07-03-2015
Trampolines have been against regulations for as long as I've done daycare. That's 31 years. We aren't even allowed to have them on the premises for our own children. (Or so I've been told by licensing.)

I called licensing a couple years ago about taking some older kids to a trampoline park and was told is was against regs.

Again, CA is so gray that one analyst will approve something and another one will write you up for it.

I would call your local agency before purchasing a trampoline.
Unregistered 04:18 PM 07-05-2015
Trampolines are against my homeowners insurance policy.
mom2many 10:37 PM 07-05-2015
I wish I could have a trampoline here in Ca! If anyone hears differently, please let us know.
daycare 08:44 AM 07-06-2015
you can have anything you want, you just have to make it NOT accessible to the children.

example. My BBQ and hot tub are on the side of my yard where it is not an accessible area to the kids, there is no way the DCks could get access to it. When you apply for your license, you draw a map of your area and which areas kids have access to and don't have access to. This area I made off limits to the dcks.

The only way to get to my hot tub is by going through my garage, which the dcks are not allowed to enter into. We built a fence to section off the side yard from the rest of the backyard.

So yes, you can have one, but it can not be accessible to any of the daycare kids ever.
BrooklynM 10:40 PM 07-06-2015
I email my licensor on any question I have so I have his answer in writing! My licensor is awesome! I love him- he will tell me well, sometimes he will tell me- it's not against regulations but that's about to change, etc.

I like everything in writing just in case!
JaydensMommy 09:54 AM 07-08-2015
Ok, so I did contact licensing as well as my analyst. Licensing said there is no regulation against them so they are allowed. They recommended I call my analyst and see if a waiver was required. My analyst confirmed they are allowed and a waiver would be required if used by the children. He said it would just need to be inaccessible to the children. He said a netting and removal of steps would be sufficient. We did hold off on buying one but this is great news, hoping we can buy one tonight and surprise my son for him birthday tomorrow morning. Thank you everyone for your responses.
mom2many 11:31 AM 07-08-2015
Originally Posted by JaydensMommy:
Ok, so I did contact licensing as well as my analyst. Licensing said there is no regulation against them so they are allowed. They recommended I call my analyst and see if a waiver was required. My analyst confirmed they are allowed and a waiver would be required if used by the children. He said it would just need to be inaccessible to the children. He said a netting and removal of steps would be sufficient. We did hold off on buying one but this is great news, hoping we can buy one tonight and surprise my son for him birthday tomorrow morning. Thank you everyone for your responses.
I have a call into my analyst and plan to ask her about this.
daycare 12:20 PM 07-08-2015
i was told the same...can have anything you want and if it's not LIC approved, then you just need to make it not accessible to the kids. HOWEVER...my liability insurance said I could not have a trampoline on my property at all. Did you check with your insurance?

have fun with it and best of luck
MarinaVanessa 02:56 PM 07-08-2015
Originally Posted by JaydensMommy:
I wanted to add that you should check with your homeowner's policy just to make sure that having a trampoline doesn't void the policy. Most will just say that they won't cover injuries from a trampoline accident but I heard at least one case where the homeowner had her policy canceled when the insurance provider found out they had one.

ALso if you have liability insurance for your daycare check with them also. Licensing might be okay with allowing netting and removal of steps counting as "inaccessible" but the liability insurance company might have their own restrictions
Tags:california - regulations, homeowners insurance, trampoline
Reply Up