Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Putting a big gate by front door at pickup???
Unregistered 06:03 AM 09-11-2016
Every time a parent picks up, the kids go crazy and they even try to go outside while the parent is talking to me. One parent lets her kid stay on the porch (she can see him) and the other mom lets her kid run out to her running vehicle and let's him play in the driver's seat. (Lord, help me!)

I recently updated my contract saying that children MUST be accompanied in and out of my house by the parent. Apparently the parents don't understand what I mean...it lasted a week and then they let their kids run out to the vehicle again. It's absolutely ridiculous. I feel like I have to babysit kids AND parents.

What do I do? Should I put one of those big gates (the ones you would put in front of a Christmas tree) in front of my door? I wouldn't lock the kids in it, it round be a big "U" in front of the door so the parent could step inside but the daycare kids wouldn't be allowed to go outside. I would have to lift the kid up over it though and I have a BIG dcb.

I am just fed up with it and it's a HUGE liability. If a kid got out of my house and went to the street......I don't even want to think about it.
laundrymom 07:18 AM 09-11-2016
Maybe respond differently to the parent. ?
Instead of continuing to talk to the parent while the child is free range, say--
Mom, see you tomorrow. Jonah needs your supervison.
And walk away.
Cat Herder 08:31 AM 09-11-2016
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Instead of continuing to talk to the parent while the child is free range, say--
And walk away.
That is the easiest solution.
AmyKidsCo 12:33 PM 09-11-2016
Yep. Or add a bit of humor - "Uh-oh, we got a runner - better catch him!"

ITA it's a HUGE liability so in addition to hurrying pick-up I'd put a note in my newsletter that focuses on the safety issue.
Controlled Chaos 01:32 PM 09-11-2016
Yep, "oops there goes Sally! I'll let you go. Have a great night!" shut the door.
JackandJill 03:51 PM 09-11-2016
I do something like this. I have my daycare set up in my basement, and have a "parent area" gated at the bottom of the stairs. I don't lift kids over until their parents and I are done talking about their day.

I have a pick up policy, outline that parents need to accompany their child, etc., but the gate kind of serves as a visual reminder!
sharlan 07:49 PM 09-11-2016
I am very firm on my pick up policy. No daycare child is allowed to touch the door regardless of age, only adults. No daycare child is allowed outside without an adult, again that's regardless of age.

I firmly correct the child in front of the parent and remind the parent in a firm voice. I've been known to place a child in time out in front of the parent.

I rarely have to remind a child twice.
renodeb 08:05 PM 09-11-2016
I have a gate by the front that is mounted onto the wall. I ask that the adults operate it even though the older kids figured out how to. I have told the parents that I'am responsible for them until they are out the front door. When I first started doing dc I had no gate at the front, it did not take long to find out that a gate was the only way to do it. It's a real sanity savor.
Blackcat31 06:56 AM 09-12-2016
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I am very firm on my pick up policy. No daycare child is allowed to touch the door regardless of age, only adults. No daycare child is allowed outside without an adult, again that's regardless of age.

I firmly correct the child in front of the parent and remind the parent in a firm voice. I've been known to place a child in time out in front of the parent.

I rarely have to remind a child twice.
This is exactly what I do.

Frankly considering the massive liability a running child could potentially bring to the provider Im surprised that being firm and direct isn't the obvious answer for everyone.

I'm thinking being sued in court for injuries that happened on your property due to a parent not listening to you would suck majorly so wouldn't finding the strength to be firm and addressing the parent point blank would be much easier.....and cheaper ?
Unregistered 07:19 AM 09-12-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
This is exactly what I do.

Frankly considering the massive liability a running child could potentially bring to the provider Im surprised that being firm and direct isn't the obvious answer for everyone.

I'm thinking being sued in court for injuries that happened on your property due to a parent not listening to you would suck majorly so wouldn't finding the strength to be firm and addressing the parent point blank would be much easier.....and cheaper ?
Thank you everyone for your responses.

Blackcat, yes you are right, being firm and direct SHOULD be the obvious answer, but I'm very reserved and shy by nature and I don't like to correct parents. I feel like I shouldn't have to tell the parents to keep an eye on THEIR kid. But, yes, in this situation, I do need to grow a pair and take control...
Blackcat31 08:14 AM 09-12-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Thank you everyone for your responses.

Blackcat, yes you are right, being firm and direct SHOULD be the obvious answer, but I'm very reserved and shy by nature and I don't like to correct parents. I feel like I shouldn't have to tell the parents to keep an eye on THEIR kid. But, yes, in this situation, I do need to grow a pair and take control...
I know it's hard.

But put YOUR needs first.

If it helps get into "character" what I used to do is pretend like every parent that didn't take me serious was STEALING money from my family and my ability to provide for my own children.

Suddenly being "Mama Bear" FOR my kids helped me wear the stern, strict hat needed to stress the rule to daycare parents.

Sometimes changing your perspective helps change your actions and/or approach. Try it.... when you need to confront a daycare client about this issues, speak as if you are speaking up FOR your family...because bottom line is, you really are.

You CAN do this!
Nurse Jackie 09:25 AM 09-12-2016
I also do not allow dck's to open the door and have had a to have a stern talk to dck's in front of their parents about touching the door. After they leave I immediately close the door because I Have witnessed parents chasing their little one up and down the street. Smh
christine19720 12:17 PM 09-12-2016
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
And walk away.
This is what I do
Crazy8 02:01 PM 09-12-2016
I would not let the child out of the house. If they go to leave I would say "wait for mommy" or "you can't go until mom is ready". I have a screen door and I just keep it locked for any kids who like to go near and push on the door.
I wouldn't go buying another piece of equipment because parents/children aren't following your guidelines.
Tags:entry way, entry way gate, gates, pick up issues, pick up policy
Reply Up