Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Christmas Days Off - Confused
MomBoss 05:27 AM 11-08-2017
Im not sure what to do for this year. I have in my policy “If the holiday lands on a saturday, the friday before will be closed/paid. If a holiday lands on a sunday, the monday after will be closed/paid.” In my policy the 24th and 25th are paid holidays.
The 24th lands on a sunday, 25th on monday. So how does this work? I should be getting monday off for the 24th but its already off for the 25th. So do I get tuesday as a paid holiday? What is everyone else doing?
storybookending 05:37 AM 11-08-2017
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
Im not sure what to do for this year. I have in my policy “If the holiday lands on a saturday, the friday before will be closed/paid. If a holiday lands on a sunday, the monday after will be closed/paid.” In my policy the 24th and 25th are paid holidays.
The 24th lands on a sunday, 25th on monday. So how does this work? I should be getting monday off for the 24th but its already off for the 25th. So do I get tuesday as a paid holiday? What is everyone else doing?
I think in this case you should do what you want. I am taking Tuesday off in place of Christmas Eve and remaining open the 27-29th. If I took the Friday before off it would mess more of my families up than taking off the allay after Christmas as schools are still in session through Friday this year. I can see why some providers take the whole week off and I might do so in the future, or at least follow the school district calendar.
Jupadia 06:36 AM 11-08-2017
I close early Christmas eve (family party at nigt) but if it falls on a weekend I don't worry about closing early another day cause the how reason for closing early then won't effect my holiday. But o do close Christmas (25) and boxing day (26). Last year when Christmas was on Sunday and boxing day was on monday I closed on the 27 in lieu of Christmas day. So I was closed Monday and Tuesday. It's what the banks and postal servies were doing. (Both are stat holidays here)
hwichlaz 06:49 AM 11-08-2017
I'm always closed the 24th, 25th, 26th.

I need the 26th off for travel time, or to clean up if I hosted.

I take the 24th and 25th off paid, if they fall on weekdays, but I take the 26th off unpaid as a personal day.
Meeko 07:11 AM 11-08-2017
My contract states Christmas Eve and Christmas Day are paid holidays. It also states that if a holiday is on a weekend, another day will taken.

This year I will be closed 25th and 26th(paid) and 27th(unpaid).
amberrose3dg 07:34 AM 11-08-2017
I do the same. I also take the 24th, 25th and 26th as paid days off. This year im taking my weekly vacation between Christmas and new years since attendance is so low anyways. Most parents just send the kids to get a break anyways.
Cat Herder 07:42 AM 11-08-2017
Normally I close for the whole week, "unpaid". I add the weeks payment into the years tuition rate so I lose no pay, even though the clients view it as a free week out.

This year I am saving for a remodel so am only closing Monday-Tuesday, paid. This gives me an extra weeks pay toward my goal.
LysesKids 08:18 AM 11-08-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Normally I close for the whole week, "unpaid". I add the weeks payment into the years tuition rate so I lose no pay, even though the clients view it as a free week out.

This year I am saving for a remodel so am only closing Monday-Tuesday, paid. This gives me an extra weeks pay toward my goal.
I do the same... I'm closed all week
Snowmom 08:41 AM 11-08-2017
I started wording holidays a little different in my contract and just left it at "I will be closed/paid 2 days at Christmas."

Same with Thanksgiving, New Years and 4th of July (2 days each).

That way, I am free to plan whatever 2 days I want around that holiday.
daycarediva 09:25 AM 11-08-2017
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
I started wording holidays a little different in my contract and just left it at "I will be closed/paid 2 days at Christmas."

Same with Thanksgiving, New Years and 4th of July (2 days each).

That way, I am free to plan whatever 2 days I want around that holiday.
SAME. I took out the weekend and confusing wording and just gave day amounts. I will be taking Monday and Tuesday off this year, paid.
AmyKidsCo 11:39 AM 11-08-2017
Originally Posted by Meeko:
My contract states Christmas Eve and Christmas Day are paid holidays. It also states that if a holiday is on a weekend, another day will taken.
My policies are the same as the OP's but I'm changing to the above for next year!

I close for "Winter Break" between Christmas and New Year so this year I'm taking Dec 25 - Jan 1, which stinks because some years I get a week and a half off but this year it's barely over 1.
lovemydaycare0912 02:47 PM 11-08-2017
I use to close early for Christmas Eve before I changed my policy making me close the Friday before at 1230pm. Closed for christmas and also closed the 26th as a paid personal day off.
SunflowerMama 10:50 AM 11-15-2017
I always take the week off between Christmas and New Years and it's always paid. I added it to my contract about 4 or 5 years ago and I'll never go back. Families know to plan for it so never a surprise. So I'm closed the 25th - 29th this year.
Tags:christmas break, days off, holidays - off
Reply Up