Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Insurance>DCM Didn't Sign Transportation Consent
MarinaVanessa 02:15 PM 07-01-2011
I have a newer DC family at the moment that when they signed up DCM didnt want to sign the transportation consent form because she said she didn't feel comfortable having him driven around. It wasn't a big thing then (about a month ago) or anything to be concerned about since we walk everywhere anyway. Last month was kind of a muggy month for us so instead of walking to the park we would take short walks within my condo complex and take balls and toys with us and that has worked out.

Today the weather was beautiful and a little warmer than usual and the kids wanted to walk to the park. I packed my 7mo DS in the double stroller, the front was empty and I took a front carrier with us just in case. My 2 DCBs (21mo and 19mo), 3yo DCG and 6yo DD walked which is normal for us. Well the park is a 10 minute walk from my home and where we usually go it's 3 minutes tops. We make it to the park and play for an hour and on our way back DCBs both are tired so I took DS out and put him in the carrier and pushed the double stroller with 2 almost two-year olds. Let me tell you I am 100% convinced that this is NOT going to work. I was so tired when we got back that I was fighting to stay awake while kids napped.

On top of that we had a great arrangement in the am during school where my SIL would pick DD up and take her to school (my nephew goes to the same school). Well she has moved and will no longer be doing that. 20 minutes after this conversation and my DH calls to tell me that he will no longer be able to take a late lunch to pick DD up from school to bring her home. So that leaves me stuck with taking her and picking her up from school starting next month.

So my dilemma is how to approach the subject with DCM about allowing me to transport her son. Not only would I like to be able to drop off and pick up my DD but I'd like to be able to drive the kids to the park instead of walking vi should add that I live in a condo and we don't have a backyard just a small back patio. The kids love to go to the park and I would hate to keep our walks to only the green grassy area within our complex.

I need to figure out how to word my conversation so that she feels good about having me drive them. I don't want her to go elsewhere but ultimately if she doesn't change her mind then I'll have to let her go next month. I need to convince her to allow vehicle transportation AND to stay lol. Any ideas? I was thinking I would bake her some cookies first lol.
familyschoolcare 02:26 PM 07-01-2011
start with it would really be great to be able to take the kids to the park also I will have to take my child to and from school next year my other arrangement fell through, and I thought taking the children to on a field trip to the library (for example) might be fun.

Basically sandwich you needing to transport your child between why it would benefit hers. Do not hid the fact that you need to pick child up from school just do not flaunt it, or make it seam like the biggest reason for the transportation.

Did mom tell you why she was uncomfortable with the child being driven around maybe that issue could be addressed. A few years ago the big thing was not to sign a conceivably to transport unless it stated that the child would be place in an approve for their age/weight car seat.
daycare 02:37 PM 07-01-2011
I had a parent that did the same thing. they enrolled in the fall so it was not a huge deal a the time. I did tell them that i would be going back on schedule with our normal plans after a month or so.
Time came and mom said that she was still not sure about allowing the DCK to go on outtings that I would need to drive. So I made a new rule.

Any parent that wishes not to have thier child participate in activities that will involve having to be transported must make alternative arrangements for thier child and will not be credited for the day.

This mom ended up going else where... and I didnt mind because it was not fair to the rest of the kids who were used to going to these places and parents who expected me to keep up on our outtings.

or you can always hire someone to stay with the child and then the parent can pay $x amount to cover the fee that you will need to pay an assistant!!
safechner 03:20 PM 07-01-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
I had a parent that did the same thing. they enrolled in the fall so it was not a huge deal a the time. I did tell them that i would be going back on schedule with our normal plans after a month or so.
Time came and mom said that she was still not sure about allowing the DCK to go on outtings that I would need to drive. So I made a new rule.

Any parent that wishes not to have thier child participate in activities that will involve having to be transported must make alternative arrangements for thier child and will not be credited for the day.

This mom ended up going else where... and I didnt mind because it was not fair to the rest of the kids who were used to going to these places and parents who expected me to keep up on our outtings.

or you can always hire someone to stay with the child and then the parent can pay $x amount to cover the fee that you will need to pay an assistant!!
I agree with Daycare 100%.
momma2girls 04:42 PM 07-01-2011
Originally Posted by safechner:
I agree with Daycare 100%.
I also agree!!
Abigail 04:52 PM 07-01-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:

OR cut out the liability for using your own assistant and make a rule they may not attend on field trip days.
TBird 05:02 PM 07-01-2011
I haven't had this problem yet. I let parents know from JUMP (the interview) that if you don't want your child to be transported, this is NOT the daycare program for you!!!

The most recent parents I had start have a 6 month old. I let them know at the interview that we are an "on the go" group and if that is going to be a problem, then this is not the group for them (in exactly those words) and they didn't have any problem with it. As a matter of fact they said they didn't want their baby inside all dang day long (of course being mindful of the summer heat...which is no problem since I don't like to be directly in it myself).

I know people can change up and act crazy even though they've agreed to something but if you tell them at the interview it's really their choice and it's their responsibility to make the right one.
meganlavonnesmommy 05:13 PM 07-01-2011
I tell parents up front that if they are not comfortable with my transporting, then they need to find another home for their child. It is a MUST in my home. That being said, I dont do it often, but I like to be mobile, and hate being stuck in the house everyday.

I always inform my parents of any outings ahead of time, and always give them the option of not bringing their child that day, and do not offer a credit if they do. So far no parents have kept their kids home.

From the point of view of the parent, I think most are afraid at first because they dont know you, you are a stranger. Now that they have been in your care for a month, I am sure they feel more comfortable with you. I also think most are afraid to sign a waiver like that ( I have one also) because they think it gives you free rein to go anywhere anytime you want to.

I explain to all my parents that outings are limited, and they will ALWAYS be informed ahead of time when we will be transporting, where we are going, and the times. I limit my outings to things like the park, library, the school, the pool, special field trips. NEVER do I go to the grocery store, Walmart, or anything that is not related to the kids.

My waiver also states that I will at all times have current auto insurance, everyone in the vehicle will be in proper carseats at all times, I will obey speed limits at all times, and I will never talk on my cell phone while driving. I state that I have been driving for over 20 years and have never been in an accident. That my own children are in my vehicle as well, and I will treat them all as very precious cargo.

Just like Tbird, I tell parents that we are a very active group, and if that is a problem, then I am not the home for them. 99% of the time the parents prefer this, vs a home where their child sees the same 4 walls each day.

Just in the last month my group has gone to the park, on a picnic, to the pool, the library multiple times, a science show and a bouncy house place. Just be honest, open and they will appreciate it.
sharlan 06:14 PM 07-01-2011
I let my parents know up front, that I don't stay home. We often go somewhere on a moment's notice.
Country Kids 02:33 PM 07-01-2011
I am in the same boat! I have a some parents that signed but are not that comfortable with me transporting at all. I was the same way at first-no big deal but then realized that I do not like to be stuck in my house at my house for 50+ hours a week. Also I can never get my own children any where and it has actually been a situation that is causing me burn out with my childcare. I have transported a few times (maybe two?) but could tell the parents weren't real yeah about it. I wish I had just stuck to my guns during the interview and said this is how it is but I didn't.

Come the fall though I think I'm just going to say this is what we do, these are the field trips we are taking and go from there. Field trips have always been a big part of my program and I feel like we are missing out on so much because of this and I know my own children are really starting to despise it.
Tags:choose appropriate childcare, choose the right provider, enforcing policies - consistency, insurance, risk management, transportation, transportation permission slip, unreasonable parental expectations
Reply Up