Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Never Have Luck...
MommyD 07:25 PM 09-06-2011
Searching the forums for what I am looking for.

Can anyone help find a thread on the dcp using you as a sounding board/friend to vent to about life?

I have a dcp that comes in and sits down and starts complaining about their job or spouse or life in general. All the while my preschooler and their toddler get into their "mine" battles. I don't know how to stop this. It happens at pick up and drop off. This child tends to be my most challenging too and really starts my day on a bad note. It irks me even more when this parent tries to take control of the kids' disagreements!

I just want to say, "Please, just go. You told your child 10 minutes ago that you were going. It was time then, please leave."

Any advice, I am going crazy. Any past posts that would help??

Thanks!
Michael 07:37 PM 09-06-2011
I put a bunch of TAGs for you to view on the bottom left. I also started a "Parents that Dump on You" tag.
PitterPatter 08:25 PM 09-06-2011
Originally Posted by MommyD:

Can anyone help find a thread on the dcp using you as a sounding board/friend to vent to about life?

I have a dcp that comes in and sits down and starts complaining about their job or spouse or life in general. All the while my preschooler and their toddler get into their "mine" battles. I don't know how to stop this. It happens at pick up and drop off. This child tends to be my most challenging too and really starts my day on a bad note. It irks me even more when this parent tries to take control of the kids' disagreements!

I just want to say, "Please, just go. You told your child 10 minutes ago that you were going. It was time then, please leave."

Thanks!
Been there done that and I probably started 1 of those threads!

Pick ups were always the worst for me! After taking the advise I found here I have the kids ready, shoes on, coats if needed, projects in hand and waiting at the door if it's cold out as it has been. All summer I had them on the front deck with sign out sheet in hand "here u go, thank you, have a good evening" If parents insist on personal discussions I try to tell them I'm sorry but I really have to get dinner started and to have a good night.

Drop offs I greet them at the door and let the kids in and hand DCM the sign in sheet on a clip board. Have a great day! Summer I stay on the deck to receive all kids. They play in the yard and I water plants. Sign in sheets are on the table, have a great day!

Nip that in the bud fast or you will regret it. I have been thru a lot from totally disrespected in my own home to hearing stories I wish I didn't. It's amazing how much some people are willing to share with providers. Just months ago had to listen to a DCM tell me about her abortion. That was the final straw I am done dealing with clients personal issues. I understand they sometimes need a hug but I don't need details!

I like NannyDs take on this subject too. Look for that!

Good luck to you!!
MommyD 07:18 AM 09-07-2011
Thanks Michael,

I will definitely look at that at nap time!!

PitterPatter,

I am afraid I have already let it go to far! I am sure it means it will just take a little longer to get out of the bad routine. I am determined to get there though! Thanks so much for your support.

-D
Blackcat31 07:33 AM 09-07-2011
Originally Posted by MommyD:

Thanks!
As soon as the battles start with the kids, I would grab my child (and hers at drop off time) and say firmly "Well, it looks like someone else needs my attention so I will have to talk to you later." and take the child(ren) and walk away to do somehting else. I am guessing if you cut her off a couple of times she will get the hint.

If she doesn't then unfortunatley you may just have to say "I understand that you want to vent and talk but I really do not have the time at drop off and pick up with the kids present." Blunt but firm.

Some people take subtle hints no problem and with others you need to be firm and blunt.
Tags:clueless parents, lingering parents, parents - inconsiderate, parents - won't leave, parents that dump on you, rude parents
Reply Up