Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Transporting Without Booster Seat
Persephone 10:24 AM 01-22-2010
I watch a k-gardener that I pick up from morning class. His mom does not use a booster seat with him. He's 5 years old and weighs 38 pounds. I've been picking him up since the start of the year. We drive 3 blocks to my house.

I no longer feel okay about driving him with out a seat, when it is state law that he has one until 8 years of age. I'm not okay with paying a fine if for some reason I was pulled over in those three blocks...what if some dumb driver crashes into me. I'm okay with my driving...I'm not okay with everyone elses!

How should I bring this up to the mom?

Should I provide a booster seat? Should I make the mom provide it?

They run about $15 at Walmart for a cheap one.

My son will be in a 5 point seat until he outgrows it, which will be at like 70 pounds. Then he will be in a booster seat until he hits age 8 like law says.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 10:39 AM 01-22-2010
I say your car, your responsibility. and I would tell Mom that a friend of yours got pulled over and got a ticket for not using a seat with her kinder. Just to get her thinking.
Persephone 10:40 AM 01-22-2010
Originally Posted by laundryduchess@yahoo.com:
I say your car, your responsibility. and I would tell Mom that a friend of yours got pulled over and got a ticket for not using a seat with her kinder. Just to get her thinking.
That might work. I can say a friend got pulled over and ticketed for it and I don't want to take the chance. She can either provide one by *** day or She can pay me the $$ to buy one.
tymaboy 11:04 AM 01-22-2010
I bought one for my car so I could save everyone the hassel. Plus it a right off. I have been thinking of buying another since I have more then 1 kid in care. I dont go out much with the kids but when I do I want to know that I have the bases covered.
Persephone 11:07 AM 01-22-2010
Originally Posted by tymaboy:
I bought one for my car so I could save everyone the hassel. Plus it a right off. I have been thinking of buying another since I have more then 1 kid in care. I dont go out much with the kids but when I do I want to know that I have the bases covered.
I'm up and down about buying one myself.

But there's a 20% off coupon at big lots for next week which would make their no backs about $11.
momma2girls 11:12 AM 01-22-2010
I bought extra ones for my daycare at around $15.00 each
Childminder 11:15 AM 01-22-2010
I have gotten mine from garage sales and outgrown children. As long as I check the expiration dates on the seats I feel fine with them.
Persephone 11:26 AM 01-22-2010
Originally Posted by Childminder:
I have gotten mine from garage sales and outgrown children. As long as I check the expiration dates on the seats I feel fine with them.
Well that's what I would normally do, but since there's not yard sales right now I can. I have sent messages to all my local friends but no one seems to have one right now.
gbcc 12:00 PM 01-22-2010
Originally Posted by Persephone:
Well that's what I would normally do, but since there's not yard sales right now I can. I have sent messages to all my local friends but no one seems to have one right now.
It's her child. I would make her buy it. It's for her child's safety.
momma2girls 12:27 PM 01-22-2010
If I picked up a child from school for this family- I would definately have the family supply his car seat. I have extra ones for field trips in the summer, and if I ever have to leave before parents arrive, with them being late for pickups!!
Persephone 01:18 PM 01-22-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
If I picked up a child from school for this family- I would definately have the family supply his car seat. I have extra ones for field trips in the summer, and if I ever have to leave before parents arrive, with them being late for pickups!!

Thanks everyone. I'm going to call the mom later. She picked up the boy, but sent the older boy in to get him. I have 3 other kids in the house so I just couldn't run out to the car to talk to her.

ETA: I just sent her a text message, since that seems to be the easiest way to contact her from some reason. Well see what she has to say.

I don't even have texting on my phone, I sent via my email to her phone. I made sure to let her know that I didn't have texting also, since I don't like being charged for it...she's the only person who texts me.
Childminder 01:36 PM 01-22-2010
Originally Posted by :
It's her child. I would make her buy it. It's for her child's safety.
I have them for everyone's children, all sizes all ages. I have the ones that fit my vehicle and it's mine so I don't have to worry about not having the right one for the right time and right child. Children come and go in daycares, sometimes often, the carseat stays.
Childminder 01:40 PM 01-22-2010
Try craigslist or your local child care council. I have also gotten them from local churches and organizations for free. Even our county is a resource for them.
Persephone 01:43 PM 01-22-2010
I have them for everyone's children, all sizes all ages. I have the ones that fit my vehicle and it's mine so I don't have to worry about not having the right one for the right time and right child. Children come and go in daycares, sometimes often, the carseat stays.
I would do that this summer when I find them at yard sales, but I don't think I would have the room to store them when I didn't need them and I don't want to drive around with a bunch of car seats in my van if I'm not needing them all the time.
Persephone 01:48 PM 01-22-2010
Try craigslist or your local child care council. I have also gotten them from local churches and organizations for free. Even our county is a resource for them.
I don't think anywhere in town gives them away because the local hospital does when your child is born.

I did post on the local craigslist.
Crystal 01:55 PM 01-22-2010
I would buy it and write it off at tax time. I don't like using other people's careseats....I keep my car VERY clean, never allowing food in the car, etc. Most parents allow food in the car, and the carseat is usually very dirty, not something I want in my car. YUCK! Booster seats are inexpensive and small so they don't take much storage space. I wouldn't lie to Mom and say a friend got pulled over....why would you need to do that? Of course, that's just me, I'd feel guilty about it.
momma2girls 02:21 PM 01-22-2010
Originally Posted by Crystal:
I would buy it and write it off at tax time. I don't like using other people's careseats....I keep my car VERY clean, never allowing food in the car, etc. Most parents allow food in the car, and the carseat is usually very dirty, not something I want in my car. YUCK! Booster seats are inexpensive and small so they don't take much storage space. I wouldn't lie to Mom and say a friend got pulled over....why would you need to do that? Of course, that's just me, I'd feel guilty about it.
I am with you here!! They are not expesive, once kmart had nice flower ones and princess ones on sale for $15.00 each, that is when I bought 3 of them. Then you can write them all off on your taxes.
Persephone 02:22 PM 01-22-2010

Tax write off or not, it's money that I would have to pay out right now. I don't charge her all that much anyways.

Plus if I bought one to use for this child, I'd feel like I'd also need to buy for the other two children who I have to put in the car to go get him. Their mother provides seats for them. That would mean two boosters and a 5 point seat for the little one (at the cheapest that would be about $60 at one pop)

And No I don't feel guilty over one little small white lie. People do get ticketed for no child seat...more people should be. She maybe needs to be.
momma2girls 02:45 PM 01-22-2010
Let us know what she says about it, she should be the one to purchase a new one for you, if she wants to continue to have you pick up her child from school.
Crystal 02:53 PM 01-22-2010
well, gee, if you didn't want another opinion, why did you ask for it? Seems you already know what you are going to do. lol

And I'd ALWAYS feel guilty for a little white lie, it's unethical. If you feel so strongly about it, be honest and forthright about it.... tell her that it is against the law, and as per law as a mandated reporter, you are required to report it. And, technically you ARE supposed to.
Persephone 02:56 PM 01-22-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
Let us know what she says about it, she should be the one to purchase a new one for you, if she wants to continue to have you pick up her child from school.
I don't think she'll find too many other sitters to pick up her son. Not many will.
Persephone 02:57 PM 01-22-2010
well, gee, if you didn't want another opinion, why did you ask for it? Seems you already know what you are going to do. lol

And I'd ALWAYS feel guilty for a little white lie, it's unethical. If you feel so strongly about it, be honest and forthright about it.... tell her that it is against the law, and as per law as a mandated reporter, you are required to report it. And, technically you ARE supposed to.
I'm not licensed yet.
Unregistered 09:14 PM 01-22-2010
How should I bring this up to the mom?
Speaking directly with her is your best method. Just say that you are concerned that something may happen to your child and you do not feel comfortable in driving him/her without a carseat. Explain that there is a fine if you do get run over that you aren't willing to risk and that you can even have child protective services after you in the case that you are in an accident. If this happens (and assuming your are licensed) you can loose your license. I have a handbook of policies that works in conjunction with my contract that explains what is expected and I have a section about not being able to leave a child without a child/booster seat. I make it simple, if you don't have a carseat I won't watch your kid.
Lucy 02:26 AM 01-24-2010
I feel it's up to you to provide proper restraints for each age of child. If you don't have them, you shouldn't be transporting kids in your vehicle.
DBug 07:20 PM 01-24-2010
I have to agree with Joyce, you should supply a booster seat. Since you've already been driving him without one, why should Mom suddenly share your change of heart? To me it's also just a question of having the proper equipment to do your job. You wouldn't ask parents to supply the toys, craft supplies, dishes, sippy cups, playpens, and high chairs their children use at your place, right? Same with the booster. Although, if you don't want to start supplying them for every new kid that comes along, why not add that to your policy/registration for any new parents you interview? But I think with this child at least, you're stuck.
gbcc 07:55 PM 01-24-2010
People do get ticketed for no child seat...more people should be. She maybe needs to be.
I don't mean to be so forward and I hope this doesn't make me the bad guy but.... you are just as guilty. I understand you have gotten a conscience about it, but you have been going along with this for months.

I know no one likes the devils advocate but I just want to point out while yes mom is stupid and wrong here, she is not the only guilty party.
momofboys 08:09 PM 01-24-2010
Tax write off or not, it's money that I would have to pay out right now. I don't charge her all that much anyways.

Plus if I bought one to use for this child, I'd feel like I'd also need to buy for the other two children who I have to put in the car to go get him. Their mother provides seats for them. That would mean two boosters and a 5 point seat for the little one (at the cheapest that would be about $60 at one pop)

And No I don't feel guilty over one little small white lie. People do get ticketed for no child seat...more people should be. She maybe needs to be.
I'm confused. Why would you have to buy for the other two children if their mom provides seats for them? I'm not understanding something here.
Unregistered 03:09 AM 01-25-2010
I'm not licensed yet.

you dont have to be licensed to report abuse or neglect, which if mom is driving this child around w/out a booster, it is neglect.
mac60 03:13 AM 01-25-2010
I would simply tell her that if you are to continue to pick her up, that she must have a booster seat supplied to you within 3 days. I think your "little white lie" is a good intro into asking her to supply it. Honestly, sometimes a little white lie makes some things easier to deal with, and it causes absolutely no harm to anyone. As far as whether or not the mother uses a car seat in her own vehicle, I personally don't think that is anyones business but her'
s. She is making a bad choice, but it is her choice, and honestly not anyone else's business until the police catch her. You also need to add to your contract that if transportation is required and a booster or child seat is needed, that the parent must provide it in accordance with the law. I don't think it is unreasonable at all to ask for the parent to provide it. I have had many a parent ask me when they started their infant if I needed a pack in play, a high chair, saucer, and they were willing to supply if needed. (I supply it all though) I understand that buying this stuff is expensive, and while you do get the write off at tax time, you still have to pay for it now, but either way, you need to have one for the child.

This is why I do not transport, ever. I don't want the responsibility of someone else's child in my car, I don't want the extra insurance expense and liability issues, and many of my current parents asked if I transported children in my vehicle because they were looking for a provider who did not do this. I don't ever. Let us know how it all worked out.
originalkat 05:18 AM 01-25-2010
I always have the parents leave their carseats when we have a planned field trip. But some seats are huge, some tall, some shorter, too wide etc...I want to get 4 that fit in my vehicle and I can put them in the night before the field trip so we are ready to go. I think it is worth the cost for the convenience. Plus of course you can deduct it on taxes.
Persephone 08:33 AM 01-25-2010
I called mom this morning. Since I don't know when is a good time to call her since she works nights and seems to sleep at different times on different days. She said she forgot to bring on by over the weekend. She's really good about forgetting to do things.

She said she had an extra one at the house that she could leave with me. But she wasn't able to bring one today. Since I had a booster for the other little girls I watch was able to pick him up with a seat. My husband is home and was able to watch the others while I ran to get him.

She didn't act like she had a problem at all with it.
MarinaVanessa 08:36 PM 01-26-2010
Originally Posted by Joyce:
I feel it's up to you to provide proper restraints for each age of child. If you don't have them, you shouldn't be transporting kids in your vehicle.
Hmm ... I guess I feel that parent's put way too much and expect way too much from their child care providers. I feel that it is the parent's responsibility to have the appropriate carseats/boosters for their own children and leave them at daycare. I take my daycare kids to parks and community events and regularly take them on short firld trips. If the child isn't dropped off with a child seat then I won't accept the child. I won't risk driving around with a child in my car without a carseat and if one child doesn't have a carseat ... why should we have to cancel an outing and have the rest of the kids be punished.
Lucy 09:51 PM 01-26-2010
Obviously there are different schools of thought on this. I respect your opinion and it is entirely valid for you. I just think it's such a hassle to have to install all the carseats when you get ready to leave. Some of them are a pain in the butt and take a few minutes EACH. What are the kids doing while you're outside tangling with seatbelts in your vehicle? And, if the parents provide the carseat each day, this means they have to take it out of their car every morning and put it back in at night. Even if they provide you one when you first start caring for their child, that means they had to purchase an extra carseat, which they take back when their child leaves your care. Why have numerous parents buy numerous carseats when you can have your own on hand and use them for each kid as they come along?

Another thought is.. undoubtedly you'd have a parent who would say they couldn't afford an extra - they have one for their car, one for dad's car, and maybe even one for grandma's car - they just can't manage buying another. You say you would turn them down. Well, I don't know about you, but unless the family is undesirable in some other fashion, I can't afford to turn people away for something like lack of a carseat.

Also, assuming the parent brings the carseat on a daily basis, you'd never be ready to leave your house quickly in case of emergency. I had a situation where the house behind me was leaking gas and the fire dept. banged on my door and said to leave NOW. If I didn't have carseats already installed, it would've taken me 10 minutes to get ready. Instead it took me about 2 at the most to buckle everyone in.

Again, it's just a matter of viewpoint.
Lucy 09:59 PM 01-26-2010
In re-reading your post, I realize you do have them bring carseats each day. Again, that sounds like a huge hassle for you and for the parents. My other thought is that if they don't have one to leave with you that day, that means they came without one, and you should report them.

I fully agree that the other kids should not suffer because one kid can't go on a trip. That's why it's best - for me, anyway - to have various sizes of carseats available for them. And the proper carseats remain strapped in my van according to what kids I currently watch. I didn't buy these carseats brand new... a couple were at garage sales, a couple were passed on to me when kids grew out of them, etc. It's a good investment, in my opinion.

Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now.

Oh, and yes, I watch for recalls and number of years I keep them. I know somebody would've mentioned that if I didn't point it out.
gbcc 03:32 AM 01-27-2010
Ideally it would be nice to have all the carseats strapped in due to an emergency but for most that is just not feasible. I have a van but I also have 2 children that do not use car seats and don't want to be sandwitched between them. Not only that, my van will seat 3 in the back and 3 in the middle but that doesn't get me far since I am licensed for 12 and including my 2 that equals 14 children.

I do have an assistant that will help me supervise and transport on field trips. Over the years I have car seats that I have gotten along side the road for free. For the most part I prefer to use mine because I have learned how they work and can get them adjusted rather quickly now compared to one I have never used. I do ask parents that if I have a lot of children and not enough seats to supply one at drop off. I do have one parent that feels more comfortable with me using her car seat vs. my own and I can understad that and accomodate for her.

I think it is very much personal preference though. For me, my family comes first so I wont keep the van filled with car seats and daycare items. My child should be free to sit where he wants outside of business hours. I also wont waste my family time unhooking and rehooking up car seats everytime I want to go somewhere. Over the years I have learned that come 5:30 that is family time and I refuse to do anything daycare related. They give up enough time when they share me with other families.
Tags:booster seat, taxes
Reply Up