Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Suddenly I Feel Like
Scout 04:34 AM 12-20-2013
making homemade ornaments with the kids...I think we will do salt dough today and just use cookie cutters. They can paint them next week. or maybe I will try the applesauce ones!
daycarediva 04:50 AM 12-20-2013
do you have a good recipe for the salt dough ornaments? That would be fun!
melilley 05:44 AM 12-20-2013
We did salt dough ornaments and the kids loved painting them!
I put their handprint in the middle and took their pic in a santa hat and cut out their bodies and punched a hole in the top. I put a ribbon through the hole in the ornament and then through the pic. They turned out really cute! I used those for gifts to the parents.
mama0609 06:54 AM 12-20-2013
I made cinnamon ornaments with the kids last year and they turned out great! I love the smell and they're super easy to do.
http://www.mccormick.com/Recipes/Oth...amon-Ornaments
Scout 07:55 AM 12-20-2013
Originally Posted by mama0609:
I made cinnamon ornaments with the kids last year and they turned out great! I love the smell and they're super easy to do.
http://www.mccormick.com/Recipes/Oth...amon-Ornaments
can they take them home at the end of the day if we made these in the morning? I am waiting until monday so DS can participate. Procrastinator in the house!!
misslori50 09:44 AM 12-20-2013
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup salt
1 1/2 cups warm water

In a large bowl, stir together the flour and salt. Slowly add warm water until the dough ir workable but not sticky. Roll out to your desired thickness (I aim for about a quarter inch) and let the kids use cookie cutters to make shapes. Place shapes on a parchment covered baking sheet. Use a straw to poke a hole near the top of the ornament. Bake at 300F for an hour.

Once cool, let the kids paint as they wish, and finish with Mod Podge to glaze. I use a Sharpie to write each kid’s initials and the year on the back.
melilley 09:46 AM 12-20-2013
The cinnamon ornaments take 1-2 days to dry but I suppose they could take them home and they could finish drying there.

The salt dough can be done in one day though.
Scout 10:51 AM 12-20-2013
Thanks everyone!! I will be trying one of these!!!
Reply Up