Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Maybe I Am Not Doing A Good Job
Thriftylady 04:35 PM 09-26-2014
I know part of it is the small town I am in, but I also know people need childcare. I was wondering if I just can't write a good enough ad to sell my program. Will you all help me write a killer one?

Here is what I currently offer
24/7 care (as I get restarted)
healthy homecooked meals, often from scratch (homemade breads and pizza crusts included!) Tonight I am making pizza from scratch for just DD and I lol
Preschool (but I am not an actual teacher)
Very limited Tv
limited or no electronic toys (none now and for me to get some there would have to be a good reason).
School bus stops at my corner in my yard
Low numbers, never more than six and less than that most times
Park walking distance from my house

I am sure there is more that I am not thinking of right now.
laloolee 05:28 PM 09-26-2014
Since you're from Kansas...

What about something creative, short, and sweet?
Attached: thriftylady.pdf (194.1 KB) 
craftymissbeth 05:31 PM 09-26-2014
We all have different opinions on writing ads, but here are mine. Don't write your ad in paragraphs. Write a one or two sentence introduction and then bullet points from there on out. The top bullet points should be whatever is most important to parents: rate & business hours. Include pictures of your space that are clear and have plenty of natural light. If you are going to include pictures of children playing in the space, make sure that you include just as many pictures of just the space.

For example:

Thrifty's Fun House now has one full or part-time opening!

- Open 24/7
- Include rates if you'd like (a lot of providers like to do a quote over the phone and not include rates in ads... totally up to the individual here, but keep in mind that rates are usually extremely important to parents)
- Healthy, home cooked meals
- Limited Electronic Screen Time
- Educational Activities
- Low provider to child ratio

We are located on the XYZ bus route and within walking distance to our favorite park.

Call 555-5555 for a tour today!

idk, something like that.
craftymissbeth 05:32 PM 09-26-2014
Originally Posted by laloolee:
Since you're from Kansas...

What about something creative, short, and sweet?
I don't think thrifty lives in Kansas anymore.

I do... and I have to say I groaned a little at the Wizard of Oz references
laloolee 05:36 PM 09-26-2014
That's right, she's not in "Kansas anymore"... Sorry, I just couldn't resist going there.

Someone corny like me might see the ad and remember it amongst all of the others. I agree though, a good clear picture says a thousand words. Nice pictures of the play area in your home will be ultimately what makes the most lasting impression.
Thriftylady 06:03 PM 09-26-2014
Thanks all, I wish I took good pictures that would make a ton of difference. Every picture I take comes out horrible, even most of the ones I have ever taken with my own kids. I will play with it though!
laloolee 06:15 PM 09-26-2014
From what I understand, the key to taking great photos is taking A LOT of them and being selective with the ones that you keep. You're bound to get something good if you keep at it. Bump up the color and contrast a bit and crop them. Maybe do a collage online like on a site like ribbet. Have fun and play with your pictures. You can do it!

jenboo 04:05 PM 09-27-2014
This may just be me, but when I see someone advertise for 24/7 care, it sounds desperate to me.
Maybe you could say something like accommodating to midst schedules.... Just an idea.
NeedaVaca 06:03 PM 09-27-2014
Originally Posted by jenboo:
This may just be me, but when I see someone advertise for 24/7 care, it sounds desperate to me.
Maybe you could say something like accommodating to midst schedules.... Just an idea.
I agree, I wouldn't call someone that offered that service.
Thriftylady 07:59 PM 09-27-2014
Thanks for the input. I don't put it as 24/7, but I do put it as offer all days and shifts. I think I will reword it though!
spinnymarie 04:29 PM 09-28-2014
I agree that photos help, as do a good website, with those photos on it
Bring in extra lights, take photos on a nice bright but cloudy day, and you should be able to do the rest on a computer that can crop and brighten.
Thriftylady 06:40 PM 09-28-2014
Originally Posted by spinnymarie:
I agree that photos help, as do a good website, with those photos on it
Bring in extra lights, take photos on a nice bright but cloudy day, and you should be able to do the rest on a computer that can crop and brighten.
I have a website started. My DD wants to finish it for me, and will probably do a better job lol. But with all her honors classes and such she is busy. And she loves to be outside so is taking advantage of the fall weather lol. I know she will do it, and will do a great job but she is 16 so I try to allow her free time. As soon as it starts getting colder, she will be begging to do it. She will probably start it soon, I just need to give her the site info but likely won't be fully done for awhile.
Unregistered 08:13 PM 09-28-2014
I also would quickly skip an add that mentioned that 24/7 care. Maybe mention you are flexible in regards to hours of care needed. Otherwise I agree with a few sentences, bullet point what parents want to see quickly, and a few great pictures.
Blackcat31 07:14 AM 09-29-2014
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I know part of it is the small town I am in, but I also know people need childcare. I was wondering if I just can't write a good enough ad to sell my program. Will you all help me write a killer one?

Here is what I currently offer
24/7 care (as I get restarted)
healthy homecooked meals, often from scratch (homemade breads and pizza crusts included!) Tonight I am making pizza from scratch for just DD and I lol
Preschool (but I am not an actual teacher)
Very limited Tv
limited or no electronic toys (none now and for me to get some there would have to be a good reason).
School bus stops at my corner in my yard
Low numbers, never more than six and less than that most times
Park walking distance from my house

I am sure there is more that I am not thinking of right now.
Are other daycares I your area offering these same things?

If so, skip mentioning anything others offer as most parents will simply assume all programs offer the same things.

Try to highlight the things you offer that other programs don't offer.

Talk with other providers in your area and see if you can network with them to find out WHAT parents are seeking. I am assuming that since you live in a smaller town, the other providers can't accommodate all the children needing care so are their families without care arrangements or are the other programs in your town looking to fill spaces too?
Thriftylady 09:12 AM 09-29-2014
I know that a few of the others are looking to fill spaces as well. I don't actually know any of them, but they have fliers up at the store and post on facebook. I have thought about trying to start a facebook group for providers in my area we live right near the the county line and have two towns that are a little bigger (pop. 15,000 or so) ten miles in both directions, and people drive between the two for jobs. I was thinking if I did a facebook group for the two counties, maybe we could do some shop talk and such. Haven't decided if that is a good idea or not yet.
Thriftylady 11:46 AM 09-29-2014
OK, give me your opinions on this

CHILDCARE
NOW ACCEPTING ENROLLMENTS FOR CHILDCARE IN SABINA
Hours of care to fit a wide variety of schedules
Healthy meals and snacks most homemade
Low child to adult ratio
Preschool learning time and play based learning
Experienced provider, mother, grandmother
Smoke free environment
Walks to Sabina park
Great reasonable rates
Multiple child discount
Great referral program!!!!!
Ask about enrollment specials!
Blackcat31 12:36 PM 09-29-2014

CHILDCARE
Low child to adult ratio
Smoke free environment
Walks to Sabina park
Great reasonable rates
Multiple child discount
I think that sounds great!
melilley 06:51 PM 09-29-2014
I know that a few of the others are looking to fill spaces as well. I don't actually know any of them, but they have fliers up at the store and post on facebook. I have thought about trying to start a facebook group for providers in my area we live right near the the county line and have two towns that are a little bigger (pop. 15,000 or so) ten miles in both directions, and people drive between the two for jobs. I was thinking if I did a facebook group for the two counties, maybe we could do some shop talk and such. Haven't decided if that is a good idea or not yet.

I just joined a local fb group and am so glad that I did! Right now there are only about 10 of us, but we give each other leads on families of we don't have an opening, ask questions, give/get advice, it's nice! I even sold my daycare table that I've had for sale on cl for a month about a week after I posted it in the group, and I sold it to a friend of one of the ladies in the group.
I'm not sure how the woman who started it found people, but I found her/the group by joining a community group first.
melilley 06:56 PM 09-29-2014

CHILDCARE
Low child to adult ratio
Smoke free environment
Walks to Sabina park
Great reasonable rates
Multiple child discount
Maybe make it a little more personal/homey at the end? I can tell you what I put in mine if you want.
Reply Up