Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Question on Food for 10 Month Old!
Breezy 01:18 PM 09-27-2012
What do your 10 month olds eat? My DCB has:

7:15: Bottle and Baby oatmeal

12:15: Bottle

4:15: Bottle and jar of baby food

(Times are rough guess)

Then at home before bed he has bottle and 2 jars of baby food.

Is that enough food? Shouldn't he be having finger foods? I have talked to mom about finger foods and how he should be trying them but she is too scared. I let her know that comes 12 months she can give him cow milk and then his nutrients will come from real food.

She said "what?!? I thought that he had formula until he was 2!"

He can't hold his own bottle, doesn't use sippys, doesn't drink water, and has never tried any finger foods.
clep 01:37 PM 09-27-2012
I have never had a baby that was still taking a bottle at ten months. They have all been on a sippy with formula in it at certain times. They are eating finger foods, soups and everything we can cut up for them. No hard veggies or anything, but nothing pureed or baby food.

We have always cut it really small for them. My child who is 1 would have frozen squares of cooked, finely chopped veggies, meats, rice and potatoes for times when I was not okay with him eating salad or natchos with us.

Other than that, the babies I have had can hold their own sippy, eat finger foods by themselves and eat pretty much what we are eating.
Breezy 01:39 PM 09-27-2012
That's what I figured. I'm sitting here feeding him his bottle. He will not do it himself!
sharlan 02:04 PM 09-27-2012
My 10 mo is still on a bottle and still eats mostly baby food. She only has 2 teeth, though. She weighs 30 lbs.

Bottle or breast before coming.

Breakfast - 8:30 - 1/4 C powder oatmeal w/ 1/2 jar fruit w/ 2 oz formula. She then drinks about 4 oz formula.

Lunch - time depends on what time she wakes up from her morning nap, which could be anywhere from 12 - 2 - 2 jars of baby food - 1 veggie w/meat and 1 fruit w/water in a sippy cup which she doesn't really drink yet

mid afternoon - she takes another 6 oz bottle

She may have another 6 oz bottle during the day if she acts hungry or thirsty.

Both babies hold their own bottles or sippy cups. The 10 mo, I can either hold or lay her down and she will hold her own bottle.

I also give her a handful of cereal puffs or yogurt melts after breakfast or for a snack in the afternoon.

My 12 mo is pretty much off the bottle. I may give her one a day, but she pretty much drinks milk out of a sippy cup. No bottles at home. She barely weighs 20 lbs.

Breakfast at home - 1 whole waffle and 1 whole banana or something like that.

1 hashbrown when she gets here - thanks to my dh.

Sometimes eats a cup of cereal and fruit with 10 mo.

Bottle of milk before morning nap.

Lunch - generally whatever the other kids are eating. ex 4 chicken nuggets, 1/4 C cooked veggies, and 4 peach slices w/ either milk or water

2 handfuls of cereal puffs and a cup of milk at snack time
Lyss 02:07 PM 09-27-2012
Originally Posted by Breezy:

(Times are rough guess)

Is that enough food? Shouldn't he be having finger foods? I have talked to mom about finger foods and how he should be trying them but she is too scared. I let her know that comes 12 months she can give him cow milk and then his nutrients will come from real food.

He can't hold his own bottle, doesn't use sippys, doesn't drink water, and has never tried any finger foods.
I have nearly 10 month old DCG (25lbs with 2 teeth):

9am- bottle (5oz)
11ish- Solids (1/2 to 1 jar baby food)
1pm- Bottle (5oz)
230ish- Solids (1/2 to 1 jar baby food)
4pm- Bottle (5oz)

DCM does one more feeding and solids before bed. These DCP are VERY cautious/uncomfortable with solids, they didn't even begin them with DCG until 8 1/2 months. She uses a sippy here (but refused breast milk from it so mom requested that I still use the bottle), and occasionally will eat small finger foods (don't tell DCPs! ) because she SO wants them when my DD has them. Mom says on weekends they nurse on demand still every 2-3hours...

I have my own DD who is just over 10 months (19lbs; 2 teeth):

8am- bottle (8oz) w/daddy
930ish- finger foods and occasional puree or oatmeal
12pm- formula in sippy (6oz)
130ish- finger foods and occasional puree (or oatmeal if she hasn't had it yet)
4pm- formula in sippy (6oz)
530- finger foods and bits of whatever dinner is
730ish -bottle (8oz) before bed with daddy
itlw8 04:36 PM 09-27-2012
so that poor child only gets a bottle for lunch? that is just so wrong.

breakfast for a 10 month old is formula, iron fortified infant cereal and a fruit or veggie

lunch is formula, infant cereal, fruit or veggie

snack is formula or juice with a bread product like cheerios or toast

same for dinner

at 10 months most of mine are eating quite a bit of table food.
Cat Herder 05:13 PM 09-27-2012
Here, At 10 months they are on the same meal schedule as the rest with Formula/Breast Milk at 10 & 3 to accompany the snacks the olders eat.

Breakfast - 8am- Cereal and Fruit, water
Snack - 10 am - Formula/Breast Milk then veggie, water
Lunch - 12pm - Meat/protein, veggie, fruit, grain, water
Snack - 3 pm - Formula/Breast Milk then veggie, water

On Wednesdays and Fridays I also give another lunch cycle (Dinner) to buy them time to get to church or off to family night. Courtesy.

At 12 months, milk replaces Formula/Breast Milk and is served at Breakfast and lunch. Juice is served with snacks and water is available at all times.
Breezy 05:45 PM 09-27-2012
Thanks all!!

Glad to see you back, Cat!!
Cat Herder 05:50 PM 09-27-2012
Thanks all!!

Glad to see you back, Cat!!
Thanks!! I need to be writing papers, but I took today to "visit".

I had an empty house, was stuck on my subject matter... the keyboard was a nice "tactile redirection" for myself...
countrymom 06:09 PM 09-27-2012
I wouldn't push the cows milk yet, dcb is only 10months old, still a baby. I would also feed baby food too. I'm curious as to why you all would push solid food on a child, whats wrong with baby food. Let them be kids.

I also think that this child needs to be eating every 2 hours, there is way too much stretch inbetween.
Cat Herder 06:25 PM 09-27-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I would also feed baby food too. I'm curious as to why you all would push solid food on a child, whats wrong with baby food. Let them be kids.
To clarify.

I do HM purees of meats, fruits, veggies until they are on solids at home. I do use iron fortified infant cereals at breakfast for infants. That is our baby food.

As they get better at swallowing without difficulty, I make the purees a little more solid working my way to stew consistency. Once they handle that well, I introduce finger foods.
Lianne 06:38 PM 09-27-2012
In my care, by 10mos, a child is offered table food first with a cup of formula or milk then supplemented with pureed food and/or a bottle of formula depending on what and how much table food they ate. Before 10mos, a child is offered a bottle first, followed by pureed food and then table food. Usually between 9.5 & 10.5mos I make the switch from offering bottle & purees first to offering table food first. I do not follow a food program nor am I licensed so I have no rules to follow regarding feeding a child, just good common sense
countrymom 06:23 AM 09-28-2012
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
To clarify.

I do HM purees of meats, fruits, veggies until they are on solids at home. I do use iron fortified infant cereals at breakfast for infants. That is our baby food.

As they get better at swallowing without difficulty, I make the purees a little more solid working my way to stew consistency. Once they handle that well, I introduce finger foods.
I understand that because thats what I do, but the way alot were talking, it was acually finger foods.
itlw8 09:00 AM 09-28-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I wouldn't push the cows milk yet, dcb is only 10months old, still a baby. I would also feed baby food too. I'm curious as to why you all would push solid food on a child, whats wrong with baby food. Let them be kids.
most are ready to start solids that is why. and I start with finger foods because it is good for that pincer grasp that is needed. I start with very ripe bananas and then work from there. Every child is different . I find if you wait too long there can be sensory problems. and if you wait until 12 months to start there can be big problems.

The food program will give them an extra month to get off baby foods but even my special needs sensory boy was eating real food by 13 months.

I do no cows milk until 12 months

Yes they stil need baby food at 10 months but they also need to be introduced to more and more solids With the small amount of food that child is getting they likely have not even introduced all the baby food to make sure there is no allergies.
Heidi 11:02 AM 09-28-2012
The little guy I have will be 11 months this week, and he he eats like a grown man!

No kidding...except that everything is smaller, he eats ALOT! He loves food without exception.

I obviously don't give him raw vegies, and he still drinks formula (from a cup with a lid). I can't even remember the last time he got a bottle here, although mom still gives him some at home. He never was keen on taking it from me (started at 6 months), so I got him on a cup asap, then started thickening his baby food with cereal, then transitioned to soft finger foods, now he can tackle just about everything
Unregistered 04:29 PM 09-30-2012

(Times are rough guess)

My own 7 month old soon to be 8 month old eats real food he is done with baby food. Here is what my little guy eats in 1 day

7am-Breakfest- 6oz bottle, cherrios, some banana
11am-Lunch- 6oz bottle, chicken, green beans, and applesauce
3pm-Snack- 6oz bottle yogurt melts
5pm-Dinner- 4oz juice bottle, Ham, pineapples, mac n cheese, carrots
7pm-6oz bottle at bedtime

I would ask the parents if they wanna try tablefood first. My Son still wont take his sippy cup but he does hold his own bottles
Tags:infant - meals
Reply Up