Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>3 Yr Old Kindergarten - The Beginning Of The End!
LK5kids 06:38 AM 08-12-2013
I got notice from a parent Friday that our school district is now offering a whole day 3 yr old program for free we already have full day-5 days a week 4K. She was very excited to send her daughter next year and told me how great it it is...I point blank told her it will put me out of business. She hadn't considered my end of it. I am glad she told me.

I think they are offering two classrooms....so I assume this will increase next year to offer this to all 3's that reach age 3 by Sept. 1.

While I have a great group of kids and parents I am still not licensed....grrrrrr to my state. I am also struggling in general as I think I need an outside world job!

This really stinks for the providers in my area!
Laurel 06:58 AM 08-12-2013
Originally Posted by LK5kids:
I got notice from a parent Friday that our school district is now offering a whole day 3 yr old program for free we already have full day-5 days a week 4K. She was very excited to send her daughter next year and told me how great it it is...I point blank told her it will put me out of business. She hadn't considered my end of it. I am glad she told me.

I think they are offering two classrooms....so I assume this will increase next year to offer this to all 3's that reach age 3 by Sept. 1.

While I have a great group of kids and parents I am still not licensed....grrrrrr to my state. I am also struggling in general as I think I need an outside world job!

This really stinks for the providers in my area!
That really stinks. We have one for 4's and it cut into our business.

It also bothers me because it seems like we are institutionalizing them younger and younger. I find that incredibly sad.

I just had a thought. I don't know a thing about home schooling but I wonder if parent's would pay to have their child home schooled or if is even legal for non parents to do it??? That might be an income producer. I'd do it I think. Not sure as I am close to retirement now but it sounds good to me.

Laurel
itlw8 07:00 AM 08-12-2013
They must have gotten some sort of grant. This is part of the whole support early childhood education that was announced in the spring. problem is all those children will need childcare in the summer. In most areas those spots go to those who qualify for headstart
Familycare71 07:25 AM 08-12-2013
Originally Posted by Laurel:
That really stinks. We have one for 4's and it cut into our business.

It also bothers me because it seems like we are institutionalizing them younger and younger. I find that incredibly sad.

I just had a thought. I don't know a thing about home schooling but I wonder if parent's would pay to have their child home schooled or if is even legal for non parents to do it??? That might be an income producer. I'd do it I think. Not sure as I am close to retirement now but it sounds good to me.

Laurel
I agree it is sad!!! Parents look at it as free dc and government looks at it like teaching kids when they want how they want- the one who loses is the kids! And us
Unregistered 09:11 AM 08-12-2013
No one offers free preschool without some help from somewhere. She had to have been approved for some state program or government program. There is no way she just happened to get into a free program without having had to apply and get approved. Usually it's income based, but many programs offer free full day 4 day programs if a child has some sort of identifying need as well.
nanglgrl 09:45 AM 08-12-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
No one offers free preschool without some help from somewhere. She had to have been approved for some state program or government program. There is no way she just happened to get into a free program without having had to apply and get approved. Usually it's income based, but many programs offer free full day 4 day programs if a child has some sort of identifying need as well.
In Iowa we have free 4 year old preschool that is not income based. They only go part day, don't have slots for every family that wants one and they don't offer it to 3 year olds thank goodness!
The only application process is having to call to be put on the list.
Play Care 09:53 AM 08-12-2013
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
In Iowa we have free 4 year old preschool that is not income based. They only go part day, don't have slots for every family that wants one and they don't offer it to 3 year olds thank goodness!
The only application process is having to call to be put on the list.
The school district in the town over has it. But most families don't take advantage. Why? Because they work and getting kids to and from is problematic as well as covering school breaks. The 4's don't get bus service or qualify for the afterschool program.
Willow 09:54 AM 08-12-2013
Sad for providers, even sadder for the children who's parents end up enrolling them.....
Familycare71 10:00 AM 08-12-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
Sad for providers, even sadder for the children who's parents end up enrolling them.....

Memc2001 10:06 AM 08-12-2013
In MO our school offers a half day preschool at the Elementary for free to everyone in the district at age 4. No income info is given. It is 5 days a week and I just convinced them this year to offer bussing to my home at mid day because most of these kids don't have parents at home during the day that can get them. It's a win for my business and the parents.
Laurel 10:29 AM 08-12-2013
Originally Posted by Familycare71:
I agree it is sad!!! Parents look at it as free dc and government looks at it like teaching kids when they want how they want- the one who loses is the kids! And us

Laurel
LK5kids 10:59 AM 08-12-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
They must have gotten some sort of grant. This is part of the whole support early childhood education that was announced in the spring. problem is all those children will need childcare in the summer. In most areas those spots go to those who qualify for headstart
That's what I thought....child care needs for the summer, but it turned out they had a summer program all summer from 8:00-12:30 with breakfast and lunch included. It included the 4k kids too. So then people needed very little child care. Maybe it will include 3k kids too next year.
LK5kids 11:00 AM 08-12-2013
Our school is offering this and it is not income based...it is serving all children. Of course they have a grant or some kind of early childhood $$$ from the state.
LK5kids 11:02 AM 08-12-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
The school district in the town over has it. But most families don't take advantage. Why? Because they work and getting kids to and from is problematic as well as covering school breaks. The 4's don't get bus service or qualify for the afterschool program.
All parents take advantage of it here..all day program with busing.
cheerfuldom 11:11 AM 08-12-2013
our school district does some 3 and 4 year old programs but it is based on need for delayed or special education kids, basically early intervention only. a typical kid will not qualify. a low income kid can get daycare assistance but will be placed at local preschools or daycares.

are they actually advertising this as kinder for 3 year olds? or as a preschool program?
LK5kids 12:09 PM 08-12-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
our school district does some 3 and 4 year old programs but it is based on need for delayed or special education kids, basically early intervention only. a typical kid will not qualify. a low income kid can get daycare assistance but will be placed at local preschools or daycares.

are they actually advertising this as kinder for 3 year olds? or as a preschool program?
It is called 3k in my state.....to ready kids for 4k! It is basically a preschool program as is 4k.
Bookworm 01:51 PM 08-12-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:

Same here. We actually recommend this to certain parents (just the ones who ask for help when they notice a delay of some sort). They even offer aftercare for over half off of what we charge. We look at it as a good thing.
Michael 04:25 PM 08-12-2013
While we have to work for our money the government can print all it wants. Free dom

Pretty soon we are all going to be on the government dole.
Michelle 09:16 AM 08-13-2013
So we are good enough to take care of infants, potty train them, teach them not to bite, pinch, hit, ...train them to have respect for adults, and to socialize them, be we are not good enough to teach them their colors, letters, and numbers?
Yea, these 3-4 year olds will be much better off in a group of 20-35 other kids and 2 teachers!
Every single one of my kids that I sent to Kinder could read and can do simple first grade math .. but yea an institution is so much better...
after all it's "real" school.. right?
LK5kids 09:50 AM 08-13-2013
Originally Posted by Michelle:
So we are good enough to take care of infants, potty train them, teach them not to bite, pinch, hit, ...train them to have respect for adults, and to socialize them, be we are not good enough to teach them their colors, letters, and numbers?
Yea, these 3-4 year olds will be much better off in a group of 20-35 other kids and 2 teachers!
Every single one of my kids that I sent to Kinder was reading and can do simple first grade math .. but yea an institution is so much better...
after all it's "real" school.. right?
Yes.....ho hum, I am bummed!
Breezy 11:29 AM 08-13-2013
I'm assuming they are only offering thing program to potty trained children?
Michelle 01:10 PM 08-13-2013
In all of my years of offering my preschool program.. I only lost one child to "real" school. The mother was friends with the director and he was a young 4 year old.
He was already reading 3 letter words ( cat dog, mat sit...etc) and we were working on sight words and just starting to learn about long vowels and word blends then she pulled him all excited saying he's going to "real school"

So, I see him 6 months later... I agreed to watch him for one week ( school was closed because of budget cuts) and he barely remembered what I taught him. I asked him what he did at school and he said we are learning our colors, walking in line, eat hot dogs and pizza and we paint. I said "what about reading? " he said that only the teachers read.
This was a child development center close to where I live. I found out that they do not introduce numbers or letters until 4 and a half- 5 years old. Our local kindergarten assigns book reports in the first quarter of homework... so how are these kids going to be ready?

So, anyways... just let the parent know what your policy is on coming back and that you may not have the room if they change their mind.
I totally agree with the fact that some kids would benefit from early preschool ... especially autistic kids and very low income families that don't have daycares that offers school .. but 3 years old is pretty young to be in a public school all day.

I feel your pain!
grandmom 03:01 PM 08-13-2013
What state is offering free 3 yo preschool? Seriously?
Tags:freedom, government subsidies
Reply Up