Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>An 11 Month Old Should Be Napping A Couple Hours, Right?
littlemommy 11:39 AM 08-22-2011
I have an 11 month old who does. not. nap.

He'll be so tired, rocking himself back and forth, yawning, rubbing his eyes, and almost falling asleep on the floor. I put him in a pack n play, and he rocks on his hands and knees, rubbing his nose into the mesh siding. His nose is so red. He's been fed, changed, and has played hard all morning. You'd think he'd be tired, but he won't sleep!!

He's full time and doesn't sleep more than 10 minutes in the 9 hours he's here.
Zoe 11:43 AM 08-22-2011
Can't you just put him in the crib and let him fall asleep on his own? Does he pitch a fit if you lay him down?
Mom_of_two 11:49 AM 08-22-2011
At 11 months he can definitely learn to put himself to sleep. I used 'The Sleepeasy Solution (a form of CIO with checks) for my kids and all DC kids. They all learn to sleep on schedule.
littlemommy 11:49 AM 08-22-2011
Yes, that's what he's doing right now..in a pack and play. I don't have cribs here. If I did, I'm sure he'd bang his head against those, too.

I can't bring him out here or he'll cry and wake up the other kiddos. He's so overly tired..he'll pry cry the rest of the day.
Cat Herder 12:01 PM 08-22-2011
How does he sleep at home?

Dark, fans, white noise?

Alone or with siblings/parents in the room?
littlemommy 12:06 PM 08-22-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
How does he sleep at home?

Dark, fans, white noise?

Alone or with siblings/parents in the room?
I asked mom this right when the boy started 3 months ago, because I was having nap time problems right away with him. She said as soon as he starts rocking on his hands and knees, she puts him in a dark room, by himself, and lets him cio. She told me 2 months ago that he hasn't been napping well at home, either.

It can't be good on him to get that sleep deprived! She's said that he sleeps 8-9 hours at night.
cheerfuldom 12:37 PM 08-22-2011
I don't understand why he isn't falling asleep eventually. Are you leaving him in his sleep area for long enough? He NEEDS naps!
littlemommy 12:51 PM 08-22-2011
Today he started rocking, yawning, and rubbing his eyes at 10:30. I fed him and put him down by 11. He cried off and on for a good 2 hours. I play music in there too to drown out outside noise, which his mom also does at home. Could it be an allergy problem? He is lactose intolerant, as well as soy. He has not drank a bottle for me (he doesn't hold it himself) for weeks. Mom said he hasn't been eating baby food or formula at home, either.

I just wish he could talk and tell us what is going on! This no nap thing has been going on for too long. It can't be healthy.
cheerfuldom 01:13 PM 08-22-2011
he hasn't had a bottle at your house for weeks? does he even eat? Is he getting any liquids there at all? that situation sounds a bit alarming to me.
CheekyChick 01:31 PM 08-22-2011
Is he drinking water or formula from a sippy cup with you holding it? That is dangerous if he's not getting any liquids.

Since he's not sleeping anyway, maybe you should focus on a LONG afternoon nap. I would try to keep him up, let him play hard, make sure he's drinking (at least water), and eating more solids (diced/pureed) and tire him out. By 1:00 p.m., he should be ready to for a LONG afternoon nap. Hopefully. LOL!!!
littlemommy 02:06 PM 08-22-2011
Originally Posted by CheekyChick:
Is he drinking water or formula from a sippy cup with you holding it? That is dangerous if he's not getting any liquids.

Since he's not sleeping anyway, maybe you should focus on a LONG afternoon nap. I would try to keep him up, let him play hard, make sure he's drinking (at least water), and eating more solids (diced/pureed) and tire him out. By 1:00 p.m., he should be ready to for a LONG afternoon nap. Hopefully. LOL!!!
He will drink from a sippy cup, but only water. He's been on a formula strike lately. He ate 2 containers of baby food for me today, which mom said he had not been eating at home. So that's good.

And yes, since he doesn't sleep, I don't even offer a morning nap anymore. Maybe I just need to hold out a little longer though before putting him down!
nannyde 02:20 PM 08-22-2011
What is his schedule for arrival and departure?

What is he drinking besides water? If he is refusing formula or formula substitute then you must get a docs note saying what he IS to be drinking.

How many more weeks before he turns one and what are the moms plans for his milk substitute?

If they don't eat and drink properly nothing else works.

He would take a 1.5 hour nap in the morning and a 2.5 hour nap here in the p.m.

If he only slept eight hours at home he would take a 3 hour nap in the morning and a 3 hour nap in the afternoon. He needs about 14-15 hours of sleep a day.
CheekyChick 02:24 PM 08-22-2011
Originally Posted by littlemommy:
He will drink from a sippy cup, but only water. He's been on a formula strike lately. He ate 2 containers of baby food for me today, which mom said he had not been eating at home. So that's good.

And yes, since he doesn't sleep, I don't even offer a morning nap anymore. Maybe I just need to hold out a little longer though before putting him down!
That's awesome you got him to eat!!! Let's see how is afternoon nap goes. *crosses fingers for you*
CheekyChick 02:25 PM 08-22-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:

What is he drinking besides water? If he is refusing formula or formula substitute then you must get a docs note saying what he IS to be drinking.

How many more weeks before he turns one and what are the moms plans for his milk substitute?

If he only slept eight hours at home he would take a 3 hour nap in the morning and a 3 hour nap in the afternoon. He needs about 14-15 hours of sleep a day.
You must have the magic touch. Every child (here) is different. Some are great nappers and some are poor nappers. I wish I knew the secret to make ALL of them wonderful nappers.
cheerfuldom 03:36 PM 08-22-2011
I wouldn't keep a child that is refusing all milk of any sort and is mostly refusing solids. I'd be worried that something was legitimately wrong here. Thats not normal at all and I would require a doctor's evaluation before continuing care. Why is his mom not more alarmed that his diet and sleep habits are so poor?
littlemommy 03:55 PM 08-22-2011

He is on a pre-digested formula for his allergies. He is refusing it here and at home. He turns one in 2 weeks and mom said she "doesn't even want to think about what he'll be drinking"...not sure what that meant.

He is eating baby food here and drinking water.

How would you go about getting him to take a 3 hour nap, morning and afternoon? She says he will only "cat nap" at home...sleeping for 10 minutes and then awake the rest of the day. Perhaps she's not trying to get him to sleep after that 10 minutes. Maybe she thinks that's enough?
SilverSabre25 04:07 PM 08-22-2011
He is on a pre-digested formula for his allergies. He is refusing it here and at home. He turns one in 2 weeks and mom said she "doesn't even want to think about what he'll be drinking"...not sure what that meant.

How would you go about getting him to take a 3 hour nap, morning and afternoon? She says he will only "cat nap" at home...sleeping for 10 minutes and then awake the rest of the day. Perhaps she's not trying to get him to sleep after that 10 minutes. Maybe she thinks that's enough?
Suggest almond milk, hemp milk, coconut milk. There are also multi-grain milk.
nannyde 04:32 PM 08-22-2011
Originally Posted by CheekyChick:
You must have the magic touch. Every child (here) is different. Some are great nappers and some are poor nappers. I wish I knew the secret to make ALL of them wonderful nappers.
Nah it's not me. It's human nature.
nannyde 04:34 PM 08-22-2011

She doesn't have the option to not think about what he will be drinking. She needs a medical consult to clarify what he is to have as a milk substitute.

What is his arrival and departure times?
MG&Lsmom 05:46 PM 08-22-2011
My son has been this way since he was 4 months old. He's 2.5y now. We are battling major sleep issues. We almost had to visit the Children's Hospital ER 3 nights ago we were so worried. He goes through phases of very very little sleep. This past week he maybe averaged 3-4 hrs in a 24 hr period. He also has sensory processing disorder and probably autism. Not saying this is what is going on with this boy, but our sleep issues started this way and escalated. It's scary. And after 2 years of this we are finally seeing sleep spe******t. It took the docs this long to agree that something beyond Prevacid, diet, melatonin & CIO was going to help him.

The not eating/drinking/sleeping coupled with known allergies or intolerances tells me that he's got something GI going on. Is he on any reflux meds or anything to help with his tummy troubles? Even the predigested formula can hurt the gut. I'd insist that mom get him to a doctor and get it figured out before it escalates.
littlemommy 06:55 PM 08-22-2011
She doesn't have the option to not think about what he will be drinking. She needs a medical consult to clarify what he is to have as a milk substitute.

What is his arrival and departure times?
For the past 3 months, he had been coming from 9-3. She had the last 2 weeks off of school, so he was here only a couple days. From today on he will be here from 8-5.

She knows about what her choices are after formula..she has two other kids that have the same allergies. She said they were both good sleepers. She blames everything on teething, but I think there's something else going on. Since he has his one year check up in 2 weeks, is it safe to just give her a friendly reminder before the appt to ask about that? That doesn't guarantee she will, though.
Reply Up