Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Cell Phone
HappyPennie 06:01 PM 04-23-2012
Just wondering if my cell phone bill would be deductible as I use that to contact my daycare parents. I receive calls to my home phone from people inquiring about daycare but for communication between myself and my daycare families is 99% by my cell phone. Would I be able to deduct this or not?
Michael 12:01 AM 04-24-2012
Maybe this thread will help: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37533
TomCopeland 07:38 AM 04-24-2012
Originally Posted by JenJen:
Just wondering if my cell phone bill would be deductible as I use that to contact my daycare parents. I receive calls to my home phone from people inquiring about daycare but for communication between myself and my daycare families is 99% by my cell phone. Would I be able to deduct this or not?
You can't deduct the first telephone line into your home (land line or cell phone). You can deduct the business portion of a second (or third) phone line into your home. If your cell phone is the first line - zero deduction. If it's the second line - 99% deductible.
HappyPennie 08:18 AM 04-24-2012
Originally Posted by TomCopeland:
You can't deduct the first telephone line into your home (land line or cell phone). You can deduct the business portion of a second (or third) phone line into your home. If your cell phone is the first line - zero deduction. If it's the second line - 99% deductible.
What do they consider to be the first line? The one that is primarily used?
MarinaVanessa 08:24 AM 04-24-2012
I think in the case where you have both a land line and a cell phone it depends on which one is used for personal and business. If you have a home line (land-line) and a cell phone and your family calls you on your cell phone but your home phone is used for business (100%) then you can deduct the full cost of the home phone. But if you use both the land line and the cell phone for business and personal use then you can claim one of them by time/space%. The line that your DC families use most often to contact you would be the line that you deduct. At least that's how I understand it so someone correct me if I'm wrong.
TomCopeland 11:32 AM 04-24-2012
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I think in the case where you have both a land line and a cell phone it depends on which one is used for personal and business. If you have a home line (land-line) and a cell phone and your family calls you on your cell phone but your home phone is used for business (100%) then you can deduct the full cost of the home phone. But if you use both the land line and the cell phone for business and personal use then you can claim one of them by time/space%. The line that your DC families use most often to contact you would be the line that you deduct. At least that's how I understand it so someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes. If you have two phone lines, pick the one that you use most for your business and deduct the business portion of that line.
dave4him 04:36 PM 09-08-2012
I am better off deducting the home phone then since its almost used only for daycare, where as the cell really is personal execpt when texting parents
Tags:deduction - cell phone
Reply Up