Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Infants Sleeping In Car Seat Carriers
Great Beginnings 06:52 AM 12-16-2013
I saw the recent post about NYS daycare changes. I saw one that said infants can not sleep in carriers because of risk of aphixiation. I believe it and it makes since to me but does anyone know of any credible research through the government done on this? I ask because my SIL has a 7 week old and they don't put him down ever so he wont sleep in his crib so she admitted she rocked him in the carrier til he fell asleep then put the carrier in his crib. I told her how dangerous this was supposed to be but she didn't seem to believe me. I'd like to send her an article on proof.
Blackcat31 07:23 AM 12-16-2013
Just google the subject......1,000's of articles will pop up about the danger of this habit.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/10...eep-car-seats/
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/36964354...d-be-placed-on
http://www.themedguru.com/articles/s...-86120474.html
http://babyyourbaby.org/infants/positional-asphyxia.php
http://www2.canada.com/calgaryherald...tml?id=3227273
http://www.sleepingbaby.net/carseats.php
Blackcat31 07:24 AM 12-16-2013
The forum has several threads on this subject as well.

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...ional+asphyxia
sharlan 07:31 AM 12-16-2013
Uh, oh, let's hope another war doesn't start out.
itlw8 07:38 AM 12-16-2013
You said she rocked him in the carrier then put him in bed. There is no problem with that. That would mean it is unsafe for a child to be in a car seat in the car or fall asleep in the car. sorry I just went back you said placed the carrier in the bed... she has got to take him out and lay him in the bed.

Now if the child took naps in it and is not moved it also causes the flat spots. so it is not about just napping it is sitting in them when not in the car.
Great Beginnings 07:49 AM 12-16-2013
Thank you for the links. I tried to google but only found forum info and not actual studies. I'll look those over and hopefully find one I can forward to her!
Blackcat31 09:25 AM 12-16-2013
Here is a printable brochure that talks about safe sleep habits. On page 5 it specifically says not to use a carrier or car seat as a sleeping surface

https://www.nichd.nih.gov/publicatio...glish_2013.pdf

I'm sure somewhere on this site, they mention positional asphyxia.

http://www.nichd.nih.gov/sts/Pages/default.aspx

Maybe you could contact them and they could point you in the right direction to find a reputable study.
Great Beginnings 10:18 AM 12-16-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Here is a printable brochure that talks about safe sleep habits. On page 5 it specifically says not to use a carrier or car seat as a sleeping surface

https://www.nichd.nih.gov/publicatio...glish_2013.pdf

I'm sure somewhere on this site, they mention positional asphyxia.

http://www.nichd.nih.gov/sts/Pages/default.aspx

Maybe you could contact them and they could point you in the right direction to find a reputable study.
Wonderful! Thank you! I already sent some of the other articles you posted.
Cat Herder 10:32 AM 12-16-2013
You can also have them read the stories from grieving families at www.firstcandle.org , sadly there are new stories every day of parents who thought it could not happen to them.
Great Beginnings 12:18 PM 12-16-2013
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
You can also have them read the stories from grieving families at www.firstcandle.org , sadly there are new stories every day of parents who thought it could not happen to them.
OMG, how sad
I'm sure it will make a good resource though, thank you.
safechner 12:49 PM 12-16-2013
Ok it scared me a little bit. We are planning to go out of state to go see my parents this weekend for Christmas. We will be driving 11 to 13 hours a night. Will be he fine for sleeping in his car seat all night while I or my husband drives? He is 5 months old.
Great Beginnings 12:58 PM 12-16-2013
Originally Posted by safechner:
Ok it scared me a little bit. We are planning to go out of state to go see my parents this weekend for Christmas. We will be driving 11 to 13 hours a night. Will be he fine for sleeping in his car seat all night while I or my husband drives? He is 5 months old.
Some of the articles I have read said that you should stop every 1 to 2 hours and wake the baby up for a bit and then you can resume on your way. Sounds like it would be a pain but I would plan on the occational stops.

There seem to be two issues. The first issue is that studies show babies sleeping in a car seat vs flat surface have a 20 - 40% lower oxygen intake. The second issue is that the babies head could fall forward and since they can not pick it up on their own at a young age it could cause asphyxiation.
Blackcat31 01:07 PM 12-16-2013
Originally Posted by safechner:
They recommend either stopping to check or having another adult check to make sure all is well.

If your DH is driving, you can easily sneak a peek to make sure he isn't facing downward too far or if he has blankets in his face that could obstruct breathing.

I wouldn't worry too much if you are stopping to feed and/or change along the way.
safechner 01:11 PM 12-16-2013
Originally Posted by Great Beginnings:
Some of the articles I have read said that you should stop every 1 to 2 hours and wake the baby up for a bit and then you can resume on your way. Sounds like it would be a pain but I would plan on the occational stops.

There seem to be two issues. The first issue is that studies show babies sleeping in a car seat vs flat surface have a 20 - 40% lower oxygen intake. The second issue is that the babies head could fall forward and since they can not pick it up on their own at a young age it could cause asphyxiation.

Thank you! I will talk to my husband that we need to drive during the day time so it will help me not to get worried too much. I guess that is only way to do that. Normally we dont stop a lot at night time expect gas and restroom. My daughters will keep him busy to play some toys while we drive.

Again thank you, Great Beginnings!
safechner 01:17 PM 12-16-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
They recommend either stopping to check or having another adult check to make sure all is well.

If your DH is driving, you can easily sneak a peek to make sure he isn't facing downward too far or if he has blankets in his face that could obstruct breathing.

I wouldn't worry too much if you are stopping to feed and/or change along the way.

Thank you, Blackcat!
itlw8 01:21 PM 12-16-2013
before today I had never heard of this. I had heard of the flat head and delayed development. But I do know before a premie is taken home they do a carseat test. The infant has to prove they can sit in a car seat with out it affecting the breathing.
Scout 01:37 PM 12-16-2013
I saw the recent post about NYS daycare changes. I saw one that said infants can not sleep in carriers because of risk of aphixiation. I believe it and it makes since to me but does anyone know of any credible research through the government done on this? I ask because my SIL has a 7 week old and they don't put him down ever so he wont sleep in his crib so she admitted she rocked him in the carrier til he fell asleep then put the carrier in his crib. I told her how dangerous this was supposed to be but she didn't seem to believe me. I'd like to send her an article on proof.
I have a FB friend who works for the largest county in the area's morgue. I had asked him about this when it came up last year in a post. He says that this is a VERY REAL ISSUE and it needs to immediately stop. He said the ONLY way an infant should be sleeping is alone, in a crib, with NOTHING in that sleep area. No bumper pad, nothing. He said that I would be shocked
by how many of these preventable tradgedies he had to go investigate yearly. But, the number was a lot higher than I would've thought. This includes swings as well so, please urge your SIL to get that baby used to the safe way to sleep. I mean, if you think about all the times their little heads fall forward in those car seats. I would rather risk no sleep than trying to revive my infant.
Great Beginnings 05:59 AM 12-17-2013
Originally Posted by Scout:
I have a FB friend who works for the largest county in the area's morgue. I had asked him about this when it came up last year in a post. He says that this is a VERY REAL ISSUE and it needs to immediately stop. He said the ONLY way an infant should be sleeping is alone, in a crib, with NOTHING in that sleep area. No bumper pad, nothing. He said that I would be shocked
by how many of these preventable tradgedies he had to go investigate yearly. But, the number was a lot higher than I would've thought. This includes swings as well so, please urge your SIL to get that baby used to the safe way to sleep. I mean, if you think about all the times their little heads fall forward in those car seats. I would rather risk no sleep than trying to revive my infant.
I'm thinking I offended her because I have not heard back from her yet. I told her I wasn't critisizing just wanted her to be aware of some of the things I wasn't when I was a first time mommy. It's very sad. And to be honest I had never heard of the dangers of car seat sleeping until someone posted about the NYS regs. I almost feel as that posting was a blessing from God and hopefully saves my nephews life!

What's so sad is that as parents most of these things we do wrong isn't because we are selfish, it's because we love our children and can't stand to see them cry in discomfort or pain so we do what we think is being a good mommy If our child likes cuddling with mommy in bed that is our first thought. Or if they like the swing or car seat we want to make them happy. One would think traveling while the baby sleeps would be the best for him/her because they don't know they are confined so long. Who would have thought it was cautioned against? Not me until last week! Co sleeping gets a lot of press these days but other things unfortunately are not being talked about enough.
BrooklynM 03:11 PM 12-17-2013
My dad is a coroner, I can tell you this is very, very real. If you are on a long car trip, if someone is in the backseat with him, then he should be fine. Also, babies that cannot hold their heads up, that have chubby necks, or large heads are at greater risk because their heads want to fall forward, thus, a greater chance of asphyxiation.

I abide my state guidelines, but I also check with my dad on everything because he has had hundreds of baby cases. Things you don't even want to hear.

Head injuries and asphyxiation are really our greatest concerns for infants.
Scout 07:29 PM 12-17-2013
I'm thinking I offended her because I have not heard back from her yet. I told her I wasn't critisizing just wanted her to be aware of some of the things I wasn't when I was a first time mommy. It's very sad. And to be honest I had never heard of the dangers of car seat sleeping until someone posted about the NYS regs. I almost feel as that posting was a blessing from God and hopefully saves my nephews life!

What's so sad is that as parents most of these things we do wrong isn't because we are selfish, it's because we love our children and can't stand to see them cry in discomfort or pain so we do what we think is being a good mommy If our child likes cuddling with mommy in bed that is our first thought. Or if they like the swing or car seat we want to make them happy. One would think traveling while the baby sleeps would be the best for him/her because they don't know they are confined so long. Who would have thought it was cautioned against? Not me until last week! Co sleeping gets a lot of press these days but other things unfortunately are not being talked about enough.
Aww. I hope you didn't offend her. It is possible but, maybe she just feels bad she didn't know. Heck, I didn't know until last year and I have a 5 yo. When my oldest was a baby there were a few times I put him in his swing at 3 am in the living room and went back to bed because he would sleep so well in it! I had to get up at 5 and figured 2 hours in the swing couldn't hurt. I didn't know. Thank God nothing bad came of it! Maybe she is just doing research. Give her some time to reply. Also, I think a lot of drs are not even aware as i have some family members that were told to put the baby in the crib in the carseat to sleep due to reflux.
Great Beginnings 05:34 AM 12-18-2013
Originally Posted by Scout:
Also, I think a lot of drs are not even aware as i have some family members that were told to put the baby in the crib in the carseat to sleep due to reflux.
OMG! That is exactly what she told me when I told her about the risk! I thought she was full of it The baby is only 7 weeks old but apparently has reflux and that's what she said the Dr suggestion. One of the articles I read actually suggested sleeping in the carrier could make the reflux worse.

So crazy and sad at the same time that Dr's could be ignorant to the dangers and seriously putting first time mom's and their babies at risk. Well not just first time moms. My son is 11 am I am pregnant now. So much as changed in that 11 years that I might as well be a new mom.
Play Care 05:40 AM 12-18-2013
OMG! That is exactly what she told me when I told her about the risk! I thought she was full of it The baby is only 7 weeks old but apparently has reflux and that's what she said the Dr suggestion. One of the articles I read actually suggested sleeping in the carrier could make the reflux worse.

So crazy and sad at the same time that Dr's could be ignorant to the dangers and seriously putting first time mom's and their babies at risk. Well not just first time moms. My son is 11 am I am pregnant now. So much as changed in that 11 years that I might as well be a new mom.
Propping baby up for reflux is so common. A few years ago I had a baby with severe reflux and the only way he would sleep was in the car seat. I had a doctors note and a waiver from the parents. Knowing what I now do, I would never have allowed it.
mpb12 07:46 AM 12-18-2013
I`m in the childcare business for almost 30 years, I will never take a child inside my home from a mother`s arms while the baby is sleeping, the baby must be awake. I make sure the parent will remove the child from the carrier and wakes s/he up. We have to protect our business, you never know what the parent/s have done while the baby were in their care, it`s a precaution that can save a lot of headache for us providers. Remember, if anything happens to the baby after they drop s/he off will be your responsibility, so remove the baby out of the car seat or the carrier and do your job as a professional childcare provider.. You are not their babysitter and they should never tell you what to do inside of your house. I did printed out some articles about jacket and carseat to a parent who had been struggling to buckle up her infant, it helped and she got it right way. It does not hurt to try! Good luck!
mpb12 11:39 AM 12-19-2013
http://thestir.cafemom.com/baby/1528...car_seat_death
Tags:death - explaining, sids, sids prevention, suid, suids
Reply Up