Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Black Out Curtains
Unregistered 10:26 AM 01-15-2018
I’ve seen many of you recommend black out curtains for nap time. I purchased a set and all of my kids fell asleep within 5 minutes! That is a massive improvement for us but checking on them is now difficult. I check on my kiddos every 15 minutes during nap time. Today I’m using my phone to light them up enough to see the rise and fall if their chests. Can anyone recommend a better way to do this? If you use black outs, what do you do?

My state says that using a monitor to check them isn’t allowed so I have to physically go into the room. My phone is just very bright and I don’t want to disturb them and defeat the purpose of the new curtains. Thanks!
storybookending 10:29 AM 01-15-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I’ve seen many of you recommend black out curtains for nap time. I purchased a set and all of my kids fell asleep within 5 minutes! That is a massive improvement for us but checking on them is now difficult. I check on my kiddos every 15 minutes during nap time. Today I’m using my phone to light them up enough to see the rise and fall if their chests. Can anyone recommend a better way to do this? If you use black outs, what do you do?

My state says that using a monitor to check them isn’t allowed so I have to physically go into the room. My phone is just very bright and I don’t want to disturb them and defeat the purpose of the new curtains. Thanks!
Could you place a night light in the room? The curtains that I have currently in the big kid nap room are not full black out curtains but it is dark enough for them to rest peacefully. I have a night light in the room that makes checking on them easier. I only have to get super close for checks when it is storming out and then it’s pitch black in there.
Unregistered 10:45 AM 01-15-2018
I could! I was thinking about a ceiling projector of some kind, but I don’t want to completely illuminate the room. I think I may have it too dark. It’s literally pitch black...which the kids seem to love! I may just need to find a happy medium. Their safety is obviously the most important thing.
Blackcat31 11:08 AM 01-15-2018
For those times I have used black out curtains, I've opened them a slight crack AFTER all children are asleep.

At each 15 minute interval (physical checks) I open the curtains a bit wider. After about 3/4ths of nap time has gone by, the curtains are pretty much open. That helps with waking up too so....
Mike 12:45 PM 01-15-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
For those times I have used black out curtains, I've opened them a slight crack AFTER all children are asleep.

At each 15 minute interval (physical checks) I open the curtains a bit wider. After about 3/4ths of nap time has gone by, the curtains are pretty much open. That helps with waking up too so....
I like that idea. I added some tags so it will be easier for me to find this thread if I need it some day.
Unregistered 02:49 PM 01-15-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Great idea! Thank you!
Josiegirl 03:29 PM 01-15-2018
String white Christmas lights.
Tags:black out curtains, darken, nap time
Reply Up