Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Very Part Time Care
mac60 09:08 AM 04-10-2010
I spoke with someone today who is looking for daycare for 2 chidren ages 1 and 3. Because of hours mom works, the hours needed may be 1/2 days, 2 hours, or full days. I told her I have a 2 day minimum per week. I am sure she won't bring them here, which is fine, but wondering. Do you have mimimum days or rates? I have always had a 2 day minimum, because if you can't at least make a 2 day rate, it simply isn't worth it have them on the rooster. I actually have been thinking of going to a 3 day minimum.

I know some providers only do fulltime rates and no part time rates. I do 2 days minimum, which would be $40 per week 1 child, $60 per week 2 children. I know she will have a hard time finding someone who is good, dependable, and who will only charge for 4 hours per week or 20 hours per week, whatever is needed that week.

Just wondering how you all handle part time children.
AmandasFCC 11:08 AM 04-10-2010
Unlike a lot of people, I only have one full day rate, whether you're part time, full time or drop in. I also have a half day rate.

For part timers I also have a 3 day minimum. I feel that any less than that makes it too difficult for the child to adapt to the environment and routine, especially if they have no routine at home.
MarinaVanessa 12:29 PM 04-10-2010
I have full time (50 hours a week max), part-time (30 hours a week max) and drop-in care ($5) an hour. I don't mind doing part-time and have a time cap on it of the 30 hours a week and don't mind if one day it's only 2 hours or a full-day because I base my fees on enrollement not attendance. They pay the fee for the week and even if they don't use up the whole 30 hours. For those people that don't think it's worth it to pay part-time weekly they do drop-in with the risk of me being full for the day. Drop-ins don't have guaranteed spots like full and part timers do (but I still have a seperate contract for them).
momma2girls 01:38 PM 04-10-2010
For about 2 yrs. now I have a min. of 3 days/wk. at the daily rate of $30.00 per child, with no sibling break. If you are fulltime and have more than one child in my daycare, I do offer a sibling break. Other yrs. I have had 2 days/week, one day, 1/2 day/week. It is totally not worth it at all!!!!
melissa ann 03:11 PM 04-10-2010
I also have a 3 day min. rate. Less than that, it's not worth it to me.
mac60 05:23 PM 04-10-2010
She called me back. She is trying to get her work schedule so she can use me M/W for 2 full days. I told her $60 per week. It will work out good with that schedule because I have a family that is always gone on Wed.
momofboys 05:17 PM 04-11-2010
I don't really have a part-time rate but that is b/c I have not actively tried to find other children to care for. I would likely offer one if I had the opportunity but like you I would probably say it had to be a 2 or 3 day minimum. Sounds as if the mom is interested in making it work. Hopefully it will be a good arrangement for you!
grandmom 01:53 PM 04-12-2010
The rates are a good issue here to find a balance.

I'd also be concerned about the ability for the infant to bond with a provider with that little exposure. I have a minimum 2 days also, but it's purely because I want the baby to see me often enough to remember me betweend days. And personally, I think 3 days would be better. Fortunately, all my customers are 5-day children right now.
Tags:part time
Reply Up