Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DKB in front seat
My4SunshineGirlsNY 03:14 PM 05-17-2010
I have had a 1 1/2 year old daycare boy for about a couple of months now. The grandma drops him off and the mom picks him up.

Both the grandma and mom put this boy in the front sear of the car..both cars are older so I don't think they have airbags...but to me it seems like a more dangerous spot.

I think they do this because he fusses a lot and they can reach him easy to give him snacks or a toy.

What do you think, is it against the law to have a small child in the front seat if there is NO airbag? I'll have to look into that, but I never put the kids in the front seat regardless.
melissa ann 03:29 PM 05-17-2010
I too, have a grandpa that puts dcb in the front seat. This boy is 41/2 (small like a 3 yr old) and isn't even in a car seat. I don't think he's even buckled not that it would matter, he's so small. Grandpa says boy doesn't like to be in a carseat. I've told him my kids were like that, but told them that it's for their own safety and that mommy/daddy could get in big trouble if they weren't in their seat. They get over it. Grandpa doesn't put his foot down with this boy. He just lets him do whatever he wants to avoid a tantrum.
missnikki 03:38 PM 05-17-2010
Originally Posted by melissa ann:
I too, have a grandpa that puts dcb in the front seat. This boy is 41/2 (small like a 3 yr old) and isn't even in a car seat. I don't think he's even buckled not that it would matter, he's so small. Grandpa says boy doesn't like to be in a carseat. I've told him my kids were like that, but told them that it's for their own safety and that mommy/daddy could get in big trouble if they weren't in their seat. They get over it. Grandpa doesn't put his foot down with this boy. He just lets him do whatever he wants to avoid a tantrum.

You response should be: "If I see it, I have to report it, and after cheking in with the state, I cannot release him without a carseat. Please have him in the carseat from now on, because as uncomfortable as it is to call the authorities, it is my job. Besides- I would not be able to live with myself if anything happened to him."
You are a mandated reporter. I hate putting myself out there like that, but if it comes down to that , I wouldn't hestiate to watch out for the kid.
gbcc 06:03 PM 05-17-2010
I had this issue not long ago. It is extremely stupid, but not illegal. I looked it up on the DMV website and it just states they caution against it.
My4SunshineGirlsNY 06:34 PM 05-17-2010
Originally Posted by gbcc:
I had this issue not long ago. It is extremely stupid, but not illegal. I looked it up on the DMV website and it just states they caution against it.
I looked it up too...and seen nothing on it being against the law if there is no airbag. I just wouldn't do it, but that's me.
professionalmom 07:01 PM 05-17-2010
You will have to check on the laws in your state. A simple call to the non-emergency police phone number and they should be able to answer the question of legality. Here in MI, I believe that children under 4'9" must be in a car seat or booster seat. So, it is my understanding that it would be illegal here and in my home state of IL.

I had a parent (foreign) who was still putting a 2 yr old in an infant carrier. I explained to him that it was illegal in this state and tried to explain the weight limits and such, but I don't think he understood.
originalkat 07:14 PM 05-17-2010
What about people who only own a truck in their family and the carseat is right there in the cab. There is nothing illegal about that is there? I am not saying it is the safest thing in the world. And a carseat is a must! But if there is not an airbag I think it is the parents choice on safety.
Chickenhauler 07:29 PM 05-17-2010
Originally Posted by originalkat:
What about people who only own a truck in their family and the carseat is right there in the cab. There is nothing illegal about that is there? I am not saying it is the safest thing in the world. And a carseat is a must! But if there is not an airbag I think it is the parents choice on safety.
I was just going to say this....I have two pickups, neither have airbags, they both have backseats, but I allow my 5 yr old to ride up front on his booster seat (always have since he was out of a rear facing seat).

Especially in my 94 Chev ext cab, getting kids in and out of the backseat is a real pain with carseats and all (non-3rd door model).

The dually is a four door, and if we have to take smaller kids (rear facing) they ride back there.

Trust me, I'd rather get T-boned with the kid in the front seat of the dually (one ton) than get smacked with the kid in the middle rear of a shoe box econo car.

I know in some GM and Ford models, you can have a switch installed to disable the airbag for just this purpose.
QualiTcare 07:37 PM 05-17-2010
my husband has a truck and he doesn't haul our kids much because we have 2so it's hard.

but there have been times when he wants to take one somewhere and can't use another vehicle, so i've read up on the laws - which are different in every state.

in TN it says kids under 12 and/or under 4'3" must be in the back seat UNLESS there isn't one. so, he's safe, but we still try to avoid it. airbag or not, it's stupid if you can avoid it at all.

grandparents think "well, when i was a kid, i rode on the bumper of my grandpa's chevy....blah blah."
[email protected] 08:37 AM 05-18-2010
We had a 98 chevy tk and used the infant seat backwards in the front middle seat, just turned off the air bag. the infant seat would not fit in the rear. It was only extended. We also allow our kids to ride in the front of our truck now. 4 door 07 diesel chevy. When we have all 4 riding. to be perfectly honest,.. if I HAD to choose which of my cars to wreck in,.. Id pick the diesel with them in the front over the mini van with them in the back ANY DAY OF THE WEEK. I believe on the rv boards I read somewhere once,... yield to lug nuts. meaning,... normally the most lug nut is the safer vehicle. I truly believe it. As far as the families utilizing their front seats,... As long as they were restrained properly regardless of your opinion on the safest placement. I really dont think you can do anything. Also,... here in Indiana, I cant refuse to release them to parents or guardians not using a seat,.. but I DO report them to the police, name, vehicle and plate number and the location they are heading in. I also tell them Im going to do it. Ive actually said,... you dont have a seat,... ? would you like me to keep him while you go get one? Well, I cant refuse you to get them but if you choose to I will call the police and let them know where you are , and that you are choosing to transport a child without a safety seat.
that usually makes them rethink that offer to hold child while they get a seat,... only once did I have to call the police,.. and guess what??? Dad was driving on a sus lic!!! went to the pokey.
Tags:1 1/2 year old, safety
Reply Up