Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Breastfed Baby
TSDaycare 06:38 AM 08-12-2011
What do you guys do with new babies coming in who are breastfed? By this I mean I have a 7 week old who just started-solely breastfed(which I think this is wonderful considering there are 2 other siblings and mom still finds time to do this), at home the baby will not take a bottle-only breast. But I don't think baby has really figured out the concept of really being hungry or just wanting comfort from nursing.....Baby can sometimes make it 3 hours here between feeding and eat anywhere between 2-5 ozs of a bottle at one time. But sometimes gets fussy just after eating a bottle(45 mins- 1hr or so later), but I think the nursing is for comfort. Baby doesn't take a ninny. Just seems like the little belly is not staying full.
I know when I breastfed my son for the first two months, I felt like I was feeding him constantly. I had to start mixing in formula to get a break!

Any thoughts on other providers with breastfed babies???
laundrymom 06:53 AM 08-12-2011
I feed all babies on demand BF or formula. Doesn't matter if they are 6 weeks or 6 mo. 4 hours from last feed or 20 min. I feed on demand. 7 weeks is a growth spurt, I would feed every 60 to 90 min.
daysofelijah 07:13 AM 08-12-2011
If mom is bringing enough milk, feed more often. If baby doesn't want the milk you can save it for later. It doesn't have to all be used up in an hour like formula. I'd keep trying the paci too. Like laundrymom said it could be a growth spurt.
Sally 07:53 AM 08-12-2011
They have to be on the bottle (formula) by the time they come to my daycare, mainly because of past problems. One mom would bring her 1 year old in my home and give him the bottle with breast milk in it, spilling onto the floor ect. which I had to inform her that was not allowed. Its still a body fluid...and you are right it does not fill their tummy up for long.
AnneCordelia 08:32 AM 08-12-2011
Breastmilk is an ideal food...it is easily digested and hugely bioavailable. Because of this babies who are fed breastmilk need to eat every 90 minutes or so. Formula keeps them full longer because it is more difficult to digest, which isn't ideal for an immature digestive tract but better than cows milk, for example.

All my four children have been/are breastfed. I have two DCKs who are breastfed. Breastmilk has been determined by the CDC to be NOT considered a biohazard or a bodily fluid on the same level as urine, semen or blood. It is not a hazardous product.
MG&Lsmom 09:27 AM 08-12-2011
How does she bring you the breastmilk? If you have smaller quantities to work with you can give more frequent feedings without waste. See if she can bring you a variety of bottle sizes, 4oz & 2oz or those 90ml bottles? Medela has 90ml bottles, 12 in package. DD2 was a NICU baby and that's how I stored all my pumped milk. At one time I have over 300z in 90ml bottles in my freezer. Hospital grade pump + super supply. That mom is a super star to pump and nurse her 3rd and work out of the house by 7w postpartum!
Unregistered 10:03 AM 08-12-2011
I don't take real young babies, but my feeling is when HIV and other infectious diseases can be transferred and that they wear gloves in human milk banks..well its just best in my daycare to have the child on formula. And many do consider it a body fluid, but the mothers can breast feed before and after daycare if need be, and so far thats worked out.

Each to their own, but the baby is often very fussy if they are only getting the breast at home, and I've run out of milk before having to use formula. I use to get the mothers that didn't bring enough, so now thats not something I have to worry about.
Unregistered 10:52 AM 08-12-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I don't take real young babies, but my feeling is when HIV and other infectious diseases can be transferred and that they wear gloves in human milk banks..well its just best in my daycare to have the child on formula. And many do consider it a body fluid, but the mothers can breast feed before and after daycare if need be, and so far thats worked out.

Each to their own, but the baby is often very fussy if they are only getting the breast at home, and I've run out of milk before having to use formula. I use to get the mothers that didn't bring enough, so now thats not something I have to worry about.
I agree with you I will NEVER have a breastfed baby in daycare either. Ive had 1 in the whole 10 years of daycare and omg he cried all the time he was starving. He started with me at 3 months mom only brang 3oz of breastmilk and he was suppose to eat that and she wanted me to wait 3 hours before feeding him again he would scream when 3oz was gone and scream after only 2 hours I know its because she couldnt make enough and refused to admit it or give formula too. Thank GOD at 4 months she started rice cereal I would have to give him a good amount of cereal twice a day with the 3oz of breastmilk every 3 hours to keep him happy she only had this poor baby drinking 4oz at 5 to 6 months and after they refused to give him anymore then 5 oz from 6 months till a year I had to fed this poor baby alot of jarred food and cereal I was pleased when he turned one and could eat table food and regular milk as he was always underweight as an infant but fattened up shortly after turning one I never understood how she could sit back and be so selfish about the whole thing.
littlemommy 11:17 AM 08-12-2011
I agree with you I will NEVER have a breastfed baby in daycare either. Ive had 1 in the whole 10 years of daycare and omg he cried all the time he was starving. He started with me at 3 months mom only brang 3oz of breastmilk and he was suppose to eat that and she wanted me to wait 3 hours before feeding him again he would scream when 3oz was gone and scream after only 2 hours I know its because she couldnt make enough and refused to admit it or give formula too. Thank GOD at 4 months she started rice cereal I would have to give him a good amount of cereal twice a day with the 3oz of breastmilk every 3 hours to keep him happy she only had this poor baby drinking 4oz at 5 to 6 months and after they refused to give him anymore then 5 oz from 6 months till a year I had to fed this poor baby alot of jarred food and cereal I was pleased when he turned one and could eat table food and regular milk as he was always underweight as an infant but fattened up shortly after turning one I never understood how she could sit back and be so selfish about the whole thing.
So..you are calling this mother selfish because she wanted her baby to have the most natural source of nutrients? I can't believe that you ladies are saying you would NEVER allow a breastfed baby! That is ridiculous! How do you think the human race has survived for so many years? As someone mentioned earlier, formula is hard on these little babies, which is why it "keeps them fuller." It's also why there are so many food allergies. Human babies should drink human milk. Calves drink cow milk.

Check out the WHO website for their recommendations. Formula is at the bottom of the list.
Unregistered 11:48 AM 08-12-2011
Posts like these are what TERRIFIED me when I was researching things about daycare when my maternity leave was ending. It ended up working out that my MIL watched my daughter and she made to to 1 year old NEVER having ANY formula, and I worked full time. I pumped, but I was never a super producer, I made just enough for my daughter. She would have 4 bottles, 3oz each, when I was at work. I was away from her from about 7:15am-6pm.

Babies only need about 1oz of breastmilk per hour they are away from their mom, on average.
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

At 7 weeks old that little guy is still super tiny. He'll probably need to eat small quantities (like 1oz) pretty frequently. You can also try different methods to comfort him as well.
Unregistered 11:56 AM 08-12-2011

Some are new mothers and inexperienced about babies in general. You were very patient, because I would have demanded she bring me formula. Also, it was probably a cost issue with her because I had that also happen. So now only formula.
Unregistered 12:35 PM 08-12-2011
You obviously do not really understand breast milk and the difference between it and formula. Breastfed babies do tend to drink a lot less than formula fed babies do. At 10 months, my daughter still only drinks 3-4 ounces at a time every 3 hours. At bedtime she will drink more (around 6 ounces). (I know how much she drinks because I pump exclusively. Unfortunately breastfeeding didn't work out for us, but I still wanted to give her breast milk.) My child is perfectly, wonderfully healthy and most certainly not underweight. She is in the 70th percentile for weight and 90th percentile for height!
nannyde 12:43 PM 08-12-2011
Originally Posted by littlemommy:
I can't believe that you ladies are saying you would NEVER allow a breastfed baby! That is ridiculous!
Why?

Breastmilk is a huge responsibility and managing a baby who is on breastmilk is very often much more work than formula fed babies.

A provider SHOULD clearly know what she can and can't manage. It's okay to work within what YOU feel comfortable doing.
shana 01:02 PM 08-12-2011
as far as the aids thing unless the breast milk has blood in it that shouldnt be a concern and even then you would have to spill it on a bleeding wound or drink it yourself..but my other comment is that the bottle fed babies I have give me fits with constpation,gas, spit up screaming bouts because formula is hard on their little tummies. The allergy thing is another, my son was alergic to eggs milk and wheat!!!!can you imagine a whole life without these foods.. thankfully I was still breastfeeding when we saw the stomach spe******t at 13mo.. She told me if I would continue wtih prettymuch only breast milk till he was two that would give him a chance.. I did he is 4 and can eat anything...I welcome all mother who would be selfless enogh to breast feed. ps.. I know its not for everyone and am not saying formula fed mothers arent selfless. all
mothers are selfless...
Unregistered 01:24 PM 08-12-2011
You obviously do not really understand breast milk and the difference between it and formula. Breastfed babies do tend to drink a lot less than formula fed babies do. At 10 months, my daughter still only drinks 3-4 ounces at a time every 3 hours. At bedtime she will drink more (around 6 ounces). (I know how much she drinks because I pump exclusively. Unfortunately breastfeeding didn't work out for us, but I still wanted to give her breast milk.) My child is perfectly, wonderfully healthy and most certainly not underweight. She is in the 70th percentile for weight and 90th percentile for height!
I understand this child was starving and underweight and she was being blind to the whole thing. I have 3 children of my own who where never underweight and whom I never let starve because I wanted to be selfish. I WANTED nothing but to breastfed my first born I did NOT produce milk and never have with my others but did I let him starve no I gave him formula instead she could of given her child some formula with breastmilk to help him out as he was always hungry and it would of been MUCH better then just giving him more and more baby food so I think I do know what Im talking about.
littlemommy 01:30 PM 08-12-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Why?

Breastmilk is a huge responsibility and managing a baby who is on breastmilk is very often much more work than formula fed babies.

A provider SHOULD clearly know what she can and can't manage. It's okay to work within what YOU feel comfortable doing.
Yes, it is a big responsibility. I just think she is judging all breastfed babies, thinking all of them will be crabby and hungry all the time, which is not the case. Every baby is different. Just because a baby is breastfed doesn't mean he/she will be tiny, whiny, and clingy.

How would mothers feel if I said I would NEVER ALLOW formula? I would never make a rule like that, but if I did I'm sure it would offend a lot of mothers!
nannyde 01:49 PM 08-12-2011
Originally Posted by littlemommy:
Yes, it is a big responsibility. I just think she is judging all breastfed babies, thinking all of them will be crabby and hungry all the time, which is not the case. Every baby is different. Just because a baby is breastfed doesn't mean he/she will be tiny, whiny, and clingy.

How would mothers feel if I said I would NEVER ALLOW formula? I would never make a rule like that, but if I did I'm sure it would offend a lot of mothers!
Of course you can say no formula babies. Why not?

If you don't feel comfortable giving formula then you shouldn't do it.

Who cares if they are offended? You have your own comfort level and that may JUST be with the breastmilk.

There are MANY people on this planet who think formula is the devil. If they disagree with it's use then they should have the right to say "I won't be a part of it".

I've never had a starving breast fed underweight crying baby because I wouldn't tolerate having a hungry kid in my house. I would NEVER offer food calories in place of milk. I would have given the Mom the ultimatum to either fork over more white gold or be gone.

My experience is that as a group the care of breast fed babies requires MARKEDLY more staff time than the care of formula babies. That's including EVERY aspect of their care including managing the prep, storage, parent contacts, frequency of feedings, frequency of diaper changes, clothing changes, etc. I have not noticed what some providers say about formula babies having constpation,gas, spit up screaming bouts at any higher rate than breast fed babies. I can't tell the difference between the two when it comes to actual health problems that affect care. I think breast fed babies do tend to be sick a little less often so their attendance over a course of the first year is higher.
Unregistered 02:03 PM 08-12-2011
I don't have an opinion on which is better, I just want to make sure that whatever the parents send, it is sent in bottles that the infant will drink from.
Tags:breastfeeding
Reply Up