Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Painting
kcnjason 09:34 AM 08-17-2011
We love to paint but I'm curious how to dish out the paint? How do you put the paint out for them to use? What kind of containers? How do you keep all of the colors seperate? Any tips on how to make accessing the paint for kids while doing their art projects?
Zoe 09:38 AM 08-17-2011
I don't do anything to keep the colors separate but my group is age 3-5, so it's not a huge deal. I pass out paper plates then create a palette on that plate. This is also a fun color mixing activity since I only have the primary colors and need to do some mixing anyway. So then the kids have all the colors in a circle and utilize what colors they want. They try to rinse out their brushes but in the end mix up the colors anyway.
AnneCordelia 09:42 AM 08-17-2011
I have 3 year olds. I use egg cartons. I cut them in half and put out 6 colours at once.
kendallina 10:10 AM 08-17-2011
I have 3-4 year olds and I sometimes use paper plates as a palette and other times we use paint cups like these:

http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/...&Brand=&Price=

I love the paint cups because there is no waste, you can just save the paint for next time. Also, the colors get mixed together, but I only put a small amount in each cup, so when it's empty I can wash them out and start with fresh paint.
mom2many 10:15 AM 08-17-2011
I use a pie plate and will pour out different colors in it...the 2-5 year olds always love to mix them to see what color it will make.

I like the idea of using an egg carton though and will use that with the school age!
wash 10:26 AM 08-17-2011
http://michellesjournalcorner.blogsp...-no-spill.html

seen this Starbucks cup used as a paint holder.
cheerfuldom 10:32 AM 08-17-2011
I like all these idea. We don't do much painting because my group are all 2 and under (but one 3 year old)
momofsix 10:36 AM 08-17-2011
I have tons of the gerber baby food plastic containers w/ lids and I use those for paint. If they don't use it all I can just put the cover on! For older kids I use a plate and put a bit of 4-5 colors on it.
MG&Lsmom 11:16 AM 08-17-2011
paper plates, egg cartons, sometimes just on the paper itself.

My group is little, all 2s, so it all just ends up being brown anyway.
SilverSabre25 11:33 AM 08-17-2011
Originally Posted by MG&Lsmom:
paper plates, egg cartons, sometimes just on the paper itself.

My group is little, all 2s, so it all just ends up being brown anyway.
"Preschool Grey"
MG&Lsmom 12:00 PM 08-17-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
"Preschool Grey"
LOL! Yes! And I proudly send them all home!
youretooloud 05:14 PM 08-17-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
"Preschool Grey"

LOL. That's what we have too.

I use old toy muffin tins from the 80s.
Lianne 07:06 PM 08-17-2011
I use disposable aluminum 6-cup muffin tins if mixing paint colours isn't an issue. I wash them out but if they're super messy I can toss them guilt free.

If we're doing a gift or special craft where I want the end result to look nice then they get one colour at a time, in a yogurt or applesauce cup, and sometimes we wait til the first colour dries before using the next colour.
PitterPatter 08:59 PM 08-17-2011
Originally Posted by kcnjason:
We love to paint but I'm curious how to dish out the paint? How do you put the paint out for them to use? What kind of containers? How do you keep all of the colors seperate? Any tips on how to make accessing the paint for kids while doing their art projects?
I usually use the little white trays that have 6-8 wells in them they are small about the size of your hand. If I am not in the mood to wash so much I just recycle egg cartons.
Tags:painting, painting - delegate
Reply Up