Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Should I Call The Parents To Come Get?
rhymia1 09:37 AM 09-26-2012
The family I am working out the last two weeks for...
Today has been awful, crying, whining, etc. The kicker is that at quiet time, I have been letting them stay up to watch a video since it keeps them quiet enough for others to sleep, BUT they still need to sit quietly. Today they were running around and jumping, etc. So I moved them all to separate spots and turned off the tv. Of course the oldest is freaking out (heaven forbid he be asked to sit quietly for a 1/2 hour so friends who need a nap can get one ) But I do not want to deal with this for the next hour. I am ready to call the parents to come get him and let them deal with it.

ETA: This is not something I'm thinking of lightly, in all my years of providing child care I've never called a parent to come get a child because of behavior - granted most of my other parents would have been appalled if their child behaved the way these kids do...
rhymia1 12:50 PM 09-26-2012
So I didn't. But I do want to record the 4 yo and his incessant whining here. I have a feeling they don't realize how bad it is.
Blackcat31 01:00 PM 09-26-2012
Didn't see this post earlier..... I totally would have called and I would have called for several reasons:

1. YOU should NOT have to listen to this (these) kids crying and whining all day
2. The other kids shouldn't have to continually listen to it either
3. Just because you termed already and are tyring to be helpful by providing care for a bit until they find other care doesn't mean you HAVE to continue to deal with it
4. I like my ears and if I had to listen to a kid(s) cry and whine all day every day, I might just shove a pencil in my ears to drown the noise out.
5. I kinda like my sanity too and for that reason I would have called and had parents pick up. I have very little sane-ness left and I surely am not wasting it on a couple of kids who don't fit in ALL because of the parenting style.

I FULLY understand that parents truely believe they are doing the right thing when constantly pacifying their children with rewards, treats, TV and instant gratification but please please please do not bring them to me and then expect me to make up for the outcomes of this action.

I would have called for pick up after the first half hour. These aren't babies or toddlers we are talking about but kids who are old enough to know what "Stop" and "Shhhh" means.

Tomorrow if they cry/whine longer than 30 minutes....call IMMEDIATELY for pick up. If you are feeling especially nice, warn mom at drop off that your nerves are fried and that she best be expecting a call from you because you so do not have ot continue dealing with this. I don't care if they are your neighbors or not. If you give the problem back to who it belongs to (Parents) maybe they will finally see how bad it really is

I am betting the parents know full well how bad it is ..... they just don't care because they don't have to deal with it and they "fix" it immediatley with TV or whatever method they use for instant gratification.

((((HUGS))))) for being so nice.
Sugar Magnolia 05:01 PM 09-26-2012
Agree with Blackcat totally. Especially #4. Being hearing impaired myself, (sometimes not a bad thing), I can tell you that constant noise level at that decibel is a hearing hazard.
Reply Up