Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Kind Of Random Problem Is This?!
Hunni Bee 05:03 PM 12-18-2013
My 5 month old is a shining example of a successful part time infant. She goes to my job two days a week. She lights up as soon as we walk in, she is happy and social all day, she naps and eats like a champ. Every time I see her she's cooing and smiling.

The problem comes in when we get home. When she gets out of her carseat and into her bedroom, as soon as she realizes we're home and not at school anymore, her little head starts whipping from side to side, looking for her teachers and friends. When she doesn't see them, the screaming starts .

She also does this whenever we go out, especially to visit family or even if they come to our house. As soon as she realizes its just mommy and daddy, she gets hysterical.

Is there anything I can do to help her?
MyAngels 05:47 AM 12-19-2013
I'm sorry I don't have any specific advice, but I've actually heard this exact scenario quite a bit from my daycare families. Fortunately it seems to settle down after awhile. while you deal with it.
cheerfuldom 06:28 AM 12-19-2013
I doubt a five month old is really "looking" for teachers or friends. If she only does this AFTER the events and daycare, I bet she is overstimulated and have trouble calming after the busyness of family events and daycare days. You would only make it worse by trying to keep things exciting for her. Kids need down time and its up to us moms to provide that at home, not feel pressured to be on the go and over stimulating all the time.
SilverSabre25 06:41 AM 12-19-2013
I'm also thinking overstimulation.
kathiemarie 09:18 AM 12-19-2013
My ODD was like this but I was a SAHM with her. She loves going out, she loves people and at 22 she is still this way. Its just your DD personality. You will have to "teach" her that being by herself is okay. To be honest I don't remember how I got her to adjust... Oh wait I had her brother when she was 15 months old! Constant entertainment!
Soccermom 09:30 AM 12-19-2013
I am thinking either overstimulation or exhaustion as well.

Some kids also have a rough time adjusting from one situation or environment to another at this age. It can be confusing and frustrating for them.

My DD would cry everytime we tried to visit family or friends when she was a baby. She would refuse to eat anywhere but at home as well.

They grow out of it
Maria2013 09:39 AM 12-19-2013
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I'm sorry I don't have any specific advice, but I've actually heard this exact scenario quite a bit from my daycare families. Fortunately it seems to settle down after awhile. while you deal with it.
that^

don't take that personally and just give her time
Hunni Bee 10:37 AM 12-19-2013
Originally Posted by kathiemarie:
My ODD was like this but I was a SAHM with her. She loves going out, she loves people and at 22 she is still this way. Its just your DD personality. You will have to "teach" her that being by herself is okay. To be honest I don't remember how I got her to adjust... Oh wait I had her brother when she was 15 months old! Constant entertainment!
Thats what it seems like to me. She is so social, she loves people. And she does tend to cry in our quiet house. We have no TV, her dad and I work opposite schedules so most of the time only one of us is there and we are both kind of quiet people. I try my best to take her out on errands, to friends houses, etc when Im off because it makes her happy. She gets excited when she gets into her carseat because she knows we're going off somewhere.

I agree that she could be overstimulated, but she really does appear to be "looking" for other people. And she does this routine when we have been just at home all day and the house is quiet.

Thanks ladies.
daycarediva 11:41 AM 12-19-2013
Can you record the daycare noise and have it as background? or have a cd on for noise?

I have a dcg who is like this. NEVER EVER wants to leave and cries on/off for me and her friends every evening for a bit.
Reply Up