Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Doing Business With a "Sort-of" Friend??? First Client?
mamac 06:46 PM 01-19-2013
O no! I just got a call from a sort of friend looking for daycare!! She is a mom of a child my son went to dc with. Not really friends w/her but we've celebrated bdays and done direct sales parties. And she's looking for care 30 minutes past when I plan to close.... What to do!!! She would be my first client! I want to say yes for the money, but I don't really want to work that late. But her son would be gone for preschool for 2 hours in the morning... AAARRGGHH!!!!
JustMe 07:33 PM 01-19-2013
Run away!!!

Lol. My first client is/was a sort-of friend and because of that, I have felt awkward enforcing my business rules. Late fees, parent handbook rules, everything. And because I have no backbone, she has walked all over me. It is a small part of the reason why I am now shutting down.

But, if your sort-of friend is a nicer and less pushy person than mine was, you could lay down your rules from the start and possibly do just fine. However, I would not stay open later for her. Just let hear know your hours and if she wants care outside of that window, maybe she should look elsewhere. It's a good excuse if you'd rather not take her, also.
Patches 08:31 PM 01-19-2013
I have a client that is a sort of friend. She has broken almost every rule in my handbook in two weeks and I don't have the backcone to enforce my rules for her I knew it would be like this but I did it anyway for the money and her kid is really good plus it's supposed to be very short term.
So i guess it depends on how bad you need the money and if you think you could put your foot down
AnneCordelia 07:12 AM 01-20-2013
I took a sort of friend as my first client. I also stayed open past when I wanted to for them. Honestly it has brought me nothing but resentment and I would never do that again. I now only take clients I don't know socially because then if they break policies and I have to term I can do so knowing I won't have to see them again.
mbullette 07:26 AM 01-20-2013
Really think about it before you say yes. When the person is a sort of friend they feel they dont have to follow rules, rates should be cheaper, you will open earlier or stay later for them and so on. It's very hard doing business for a friend just like it is for family. If you stay open later for her then your other clients will expect the same. Tell her you are open until such a time and will not stay open later. I understand she would be your first client but be careful. I have let my families run my business for the past year and now I am trying to correct everything and take control.

Good luck with whatever you decide but really think about it.
Blackcat31 07:28 AM 01-20-2013
I am a provider who does not mind having friends and/or family for clients. However, I don't mind because I have the backbone to enforce my rules so unless you feel you are able to do that without issues, then I wouldn't recommend taking on anyone you are related to or friends with.

If you do decide to take this family I would advise you to NOT ever break policies, don't ever waiver from the fact that you are a business and in order to remain professional in the eyes of your clients, you have to be professional

No extended care hours unless you do it for everyone. No special treatment or special rates. This could cause a mountain of issues later down the road.

If you choose to except this "sort of friend" and do not want to work after hours, then tell her you would like to be her provider but you close at xx time. Leave it at that. Let HER figure it out and how to work around that....especially if she wants to have you as her provider.

Set your rules FIRMLY from the get-go and then enforce them without fail.

Working relationships are tough with ANY family because of the nature of this business. But they are even harder when there are personal feelings attached.

Good luck!
mamac 07:47 AM 01-20-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I am a provider who does not mind having friends and/or family for clients. However, I don't mind because I have the backbone to enforce my rules so unless you feel you are able to do that without issues, then I wouldn't recommend taking on anyone you are related to or friends with.

If you do decide to take this family I would advise you to NOT ever break policies, don't ever waiver from the fact that you are a business and in order to remain professional in the eyes of your clients, you have to be professional

No extended care hours unless you do it for everyone. No special treatment or special rates. This could cause a mountain of issues later down the road.

If you choose to except this "sort of friend" and do not want to work after hours, then tell her you would like to be her provider but you close at xx time. Leave it at that. Let HER figure it out and how to work around that....especially if she wants to have you as her provider.

Set your rules FIRMLY from the get-go and then enforce them without fail.

Working relationships are tough with ANY family because of the nature of this business. But they are even harder when there are personal feelings attached.

Good luck!
I think that's what I'm going to do. I'm not friends enough with her to worry about not enforcing my policies and losing a friend over it. Our kids are how we know each other so no biggie if she doesn't like it. Honestly, I'd love to close at 4 but I don't want to limit my chances of getting any clients. Most of the DCs here close at 5, and from my personal experience in DC, most parents picked their kids up between 4-4:30. That's what I'm hoping my latest schedule will be. 5:30 will be a huge stretch of my expectations, especially if she ends up running late. I guess I'll accept her if she's willing to change her schedule to meet my needs.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!
AnneCordelia 08:15 AM 01-20-2013
At first I wanted a closing time of 5:30. My first clients said they would be late for the first little bit while they figure out commute, etc. They didn't pick up until 6:20 daily and it was WAY TOO LATE! Finally they told me they couldn't pick up by 5:30 even.

So I did just what Blackcat suggests...I made my own closing time and told them to figure it out. I went one further and made my closing 5pm instead my originally intended 5:30. It was the best move I ever made!!! Most of my families now pick up by 4:30. If I had to stay open for a full hour at the end of my day for only one family I would be resentful quickly. Closing at 5 has been key for my sanity and for my kids. That family found a sitter who picks up now by 5 and brings the little child home. It works great.
mamac 11:37 AM 01-20-2013
Originally Posted by AnneCordelia:
At first I wanted a closing time of 5:30. My first clients said they would be late for the first little bit while they figure out commute, etc. They didn't pick up until 6:20 daily and it was WAY TOO LATE! Finally they told me they couldn't pick up by 5:30 even.

So I did just what Blackcat suggests...I made my own closing time and told them to figure it out. I went one further and made my closing 5pm instead my originally intended 5:30. It was the best move I ever made!!! Most of my families now pick up by 4:30. If I had to stay open for a full hour at the end of my day for only one family I would be resentful quickly. Closing at 5 has been key for my sanity and for my kids. That family found a sitter who picks up now by 5 and brings the little child home. It works great.
That's great! That's what I just did! I just sent her a text telling her my plans were to close at 4:30 (even though I planned on 5) asking if 530 was the earliest she could get him. When our kids were in dc together he was picked up by 430 so unless she's had a schedule change then it should be possible. In fact, the more I think about it the more I really want to make 430 my cutoff time. I could always stay til 5 if someone REALLY needed it, right? I'm doing HDC because I wanted to spend more time with my family not theirs.
Brooksie 03:43 PM 01-21-2013
DON'T DO IT!!!! I just lost 2 families (one was one of those "sort of friend" friends, the other family). I took them on bc they were my first clients and I needed them but I regret it! Other than learning A LOT from the experience, like not doing that again. I now have a strict NO family, no "friends" rule. I am in a small town so I know A LOT of the people, but any one I've ever considered a 'friend' is off the list! Save yourself a serious head ache. Also if they want you to stay open later for them it'll just get later and later and then they'll be asking you more "favors". You are your own boss and business. Thats part of the appeal of it. You make your hours, so stick to them!
mamac 06:32 PM 01-21-2013
Originally Posted by Brooksie:
DON'T DO IT!!!! I just lost 2 families (one was one of those "sort of friend" friends, the other family). I took them on bc they were my first clients and I needed them but I regret it! Other than learning A LOT from the experience, like not doing that again. I now have a strict NO family, no "friends" rule. I am in a small town so I know A LOT of the people, but any one I've ever considered a 'friend' is off the list! Save yourself a serious head ache. Also if they want you to stay open later for them it'll just get later and later and then they'll be asking you more "favors". You are your own boss and business. Thats part of the appeal of it. You make your hours, so stick to them!
Yeah I've decided not to. She texted back saying that 5:15-5:30 would be the earliest IF she got off of work right at 5:00. Yeah- What happens if she's late? Ummmm, no thanks. I felt so relieved when she realized I couldn't do it! And I don't want to worry about doing any favors for her, or anyone else.
Tags:friend's children
Reply Up