Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Family on Vaca. for the Month. Hasn't PAID!!!
Brooksie 09:38 AM 01-21-2013
So I have a family (1 of my 3 current) and they have been on vacation in the Caribbean since the 1st and won't be back until the 31st. Nice right? Well, they haven't paid me for the month and it is clearly written in the contract that there are no deductions in child care costs when families go on vacation. There is also a late payment fee. $10 for every day the payment is late so they're looking at almost $230.00 in late charge. I really can't afford to lose this family so I was thinking of reducing the late fee by a % but I don't know how to approach them about it. I've been without 1/3 of my income and I'm really hurting. She hasn't returned my texts or made any contact (I know I wouldn't if I were on a boat in the Caribbean). Does any one have any suggestions? Technically since its been over a week that they have paid me their contract is void any way. But like I said, I don't want to lose this family and I really need that $$$
sammie 10:35 AM 01-21-2013
What kind of discussion did you both have before they left? Did you talk about payment for while they were gone??
Brooksie 10:43 AM 01-21-2013
She reminded me before the holiday break and during that break I sent her a text asking for the actual dates they'd be gone bc she hadn't told me. She responded with the dates and I reminded her there are no deductions in cost during family vacations and I didn't hear back from her.
mbullette 10:44 AM 01-21-2013
I would have made them pay before they left or at least pay half before they left.
sammie 11:02 AM 01-21-2013
Originally Posted by Brooksie:
She reminded me before the holiday break and during that break I sent her a text asking for the actual dates they'd be gone bc she hadn't told me. She responded with the dates and I reminded her there are no deductions in cost during family vacations and I didn't hear back from her.

I'd start advertising and fill the spots!
Brooksie 11:08 AM 01-21-2013
Well I definitely know to do that in the future. But right now I'm not sure how to approach it. I'm irritated but don't want to come off that way. Also don't want it to sound like payment is an option.

I have a waiting list and could fill the spot next week no question.
Meyou 11:08 AM 01-21-2013
I would start advertising and fill the spots too. IF I took them back....which would be a big IF I would expect payment in full with late fees.
mbullette 11:09 AM 01-21-2013
I would advertise also. How do you even know they are coming back? You are going to be out a lot more money if they do not return.
Brooksie 11:14 AM 01-21-2013
Yea I just started realizing they may have no intention of paying OR coming back. So now should I ask they send the payment in full or she won't have a spot to come back to?
littlemissmuffet 11:18 AM 01-21-2013
Yea I just started realizing they may have no intention of paying OR coming back. So now should I ask they send the payment in full or she won't have a spot to come back to?
Fill the spot. Tell her she still owes you for two weeks - you will consider that notice. Also, remind her of the $10/day late fee - IN EFFECT UNTIL PAYMENT IS MADE IN FULL... continue adding the $10/day until you're paid. If she doesn't pay, take her to court. They have zero intention of paying or returning, I'm certain of it.
WImom 11:25 AM 01-21-2013
I'd fill the spot too. I agree with others that I don't think she plans on coming back.
momofsix 11:29 AM 01-21-2013
So there was a holiday break where you didn't have her child, and then after or during the holiday break their vacation started?
Maybe she is planning on paying when they come back. You told her that there was no discount for the vacation but did you let her know you were expecting her to bring a payment before she left?
I guess I would base my decision about what to do on how they have been in the past. Have they always paid you? On time? treated you fairly?
I wouldn't text/call the cell phone anymore until they are back home-there's a good chance they don't have service down there.
daycarediva 11:31 AM 01-21-2013
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
Fill the spot. Tell her she still owes you for two weeks - you will consider that notice. Also, remind her of the $10/day late fee - IN EFFECT UNTIL PAYMENT IS MADE IN FULL... continue adding the $10/day until you're paid. If she doesn't pay, take her to court. They have zero intention of paying or returning, I'm certain of it.
This exactly.
Brooksie 12:51 PM 01-21-2013
Finally got a hold of them and gave them the payment notification and they withdrew. Looks like I will be going to court!
mbullette 02:17 PM 01-21-2013
I'm sorry!!! If they have money to go on vacation for a month they surely have the money to pay you.
littlemissmuffet 02:25 PM 01-21-2013
Finally got a hold of them and gave them the payment notification and they withdrew. Looks like I will be going to court!
Did you threaten court when you got ahold of them? I always do, and withiun days I end up with a wad of cash - late fees and all.
Brooksie 03:11 PM 01-21-2013
I will definitely use that if I don't hear from them in the next couple days. They are DEFINITELY well off and can totally afford it. I mean, they are vacationing on their boat that stays in the Caribbean. She drives a nice lexus. Its really quite ridiculous. But I've talked to my lawyer and says taking them to court for small claims is no biggie so I will definitely been doing that.
Reply Up