Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum!>Newby with a Question
Shena 11:13 AM 02-24-2015
Hey Everyone...... Shena here, from East Tennessee.......Been planning my childcare biz for the last few months and in the process of opening in the next few weeks and have started advertising on craigslist, and community online yard sale sites.... I am having a lot of people reply to me with "WHAT ARE YOUR RATES?" I message them with my full time daily rates and ask them to call me for more specific details.. and I get an "OKAY THANK YOU" ....... I know that my rates are comparable to the area, though we do have a few stay at home moms that advertise with lowball rates, however, I am a Nurse, and Prior Paramedic, homeschooled my kids, with one in Law School and the other in undergrad.,so not just a "babysitter" by any means. So my question is should I just advertise my rates in my post? Should I ask them to call me to get rates? Should I reply with "What is your budget"? I also wonder if it could be other providers being nosey! I know there is a need in our area for childcare providers. I am not sure how to respond to "Okay Thank You! So help a lady out, what would you do?
melilley 11:35 AM 02-24-2015
Hi, welcome!

I actually made a website and when I post an ad, I always tell parents to look at my website and then call if they are interested in my child care. I post my rates right on my site, that way, they know in advance and I don't usually get those calls where they ask the rate and then hang up. There are a lot of free sites you can use to make a website! I use webs.com, it's fairly easy to use!
AmyKidsCo 11:38 AM 02-24-2015
I post my rates on my website too - I figure that saves me time talking to parents who can't/won't pay my rates.
melilley 11:48 AM 02-24-2015
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
I post my rates on my website too - I figure that saves me time talking to parents who can't/won't pay my rates.
Yep, and I figure if another provider sees my rates, then so be it, it doesn't bother me.
Little Learners 12:18 PM 04-07-2015
Hi,

I am new to register, but have been doing daycare for many years. When I post a ad on CL I don't include price and I only list a phone number as a contact. That way you'll get more sincere people imo. Although I've gotten other providers, and one even scheduled a fake interview. Sadly, there are those few that are out there...to put it kindly. Unfortunately for her I'm a good detective, lol.

As for prices, keep them realistic for your area, and no I would not be concerned about the parent's budget. You offer a service, and they need to pay for that. I've also taken out ads in local papers, and put up flyers when needed and I'm always full. Word of mouth, and lot's of advertising is crucial imo.
nanglgrl 12:45 PM 04-07-2015
I also have a website on webs.com. Whenever I have an inquiry I respond by sending them a link to my website and my Facebook business page so they can see what I offer and my ratings from clients. My prices are not on my website because they are complicated and based on age as well as pick up time (a tiered rate).

I tell them that after they've looked at my website and Facebook page to please call or email if they'd like more information or to set up an interview.
Before I started to do this and was answering all of their questions via phone call I was wasting a lot of time and after I told them my rates I would rarely hear back.

I take only one infant at a time so that spot is always full. The parents of older children generally already have care and unless the care is closing or doesn't meet their needs anymore they are looking for cheaper so when I responded with higher rates they went to the next provider. Now they see everything I offer first, they see if they think we'd be a good fit and THEN they get my rates. I can't tell you how many never even ask my rates until they've already decided to take a spot and most of the people that I direct to my site end up scheduling an interview.
nannyde 01:02 PM 04-09-2015
I say "It depends on what you need. Our rates range from $130 per week to $180 per week depending on departure time and total number of hours per day." Give us a call and we can quote you a specific rate."
TXhomedaycare 04:45 PM 04-09-2015
Originally Posted by Shena:
Hey Everyone...... Shena here, from East Tennessee.......Been planning my childcare biz for the last few months and in the process of opening in the next few weeks and have started advertising on craigslist, and community online yard sale sites.... I am having a lot of people reply to me with "WHAT ARE YOUR RATES?" I message them with my full time daily rates and ask them to call me for more specific details.. and I get an "OKAY THANK YOU" ....... I know that my rates are comparable to the area, though we do have a few stay at home moms that advertise with lowball rates, however, I am a Nurse, and Prior Paramedic, homeschooled my kids, with one in Law School and the other in undergrad.,so not just a "babysitter" by any means. So my question is should I just advertise my rates in my post? Should I ask them to call me to get rates? Should I reply with "What is your budget"? I also wonder if it could be other providers being nosey! I know there is a need in our area for childcare providers. I am not sure how to respond to "Okay Thank You! So help a lady out, what would you do?
It could be other providers checking your rates or just cheap parents searching for the cheapest rates. I posted my rates and a link to my website on Craigslist so I did not have to spend so much time texting and answering calls. That's helps for you to know who is serious when you get a request for more info. You should also shop around rates in your area (for caregivers with comparable experience) then set your rates and standards and then don't settle trying to lower your standards to unprofessional people. It is easy to stand out as quality on craigslist with your wording, pictures and rates. The kind of parents that you want to attract will call you, it might take a little longer than you think.
LysesKids 09:01 AM 04-10-2015
Originally Posted by Shena:
Blount County here... I advertise on CL, but I don't put my phone number in ads... there is a link to my website with all my info (yes, inc rates). They can email me thru my contact page if they like what they see... once I get their #, I CALL THEM to set up a meet & greet. I figure if they don't like my policies & fees they don't have to contact me. I let the website do my marketing lol
Reply Up