Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Depression
Unregistered 08:50 AM 02-09-2018
Does anyone have experience using Zoloft to fight depression. I was just prescribed this and would like to hear from someone how long it took to feel the effects and how it helped (or didn’t help) you.. I’m in a super bad place right now. Thank you.
Ariana 09:29 AM 02-09-2018
I don’t but I just wanted to tell you to hang in there and take care of yourself
BrynleeJean 04:48 PM 02-09-2018
i don't have experience with that medication either but i hope it works for you soon i know my bother inlaw takes something similar and its night and day when he takes it and doesn't for him.
hwichlaz 04:56 PM 02-09-2018
I took Paxil for 14 years. I think that the initial side effects are similar for most SSRIs. I had uncontrollable yawning spasms and slept for 3 days when I first started. Then the side effects got less and less every day and we’re gone by 2 weeks.
Denali 05:33 PM 02-09-2018
I’m taking it right now. Have been since May. It’s night and day. I didn’t have any side effects.

I noticed a difference within a week of starting. So did my husband. He noticed my moods “lightening”, It was small changes at first but then at the end of two weeks I was feeling so much better, like I could see colors again. I can’t think of any other way to describe it...

I was actually happy and I actually wanted to take part of life instead of wrapped in blankets in a dark bedroom on my bed just wanting to sleep and be none existent.

I noticed a huge difference by the end of two weeks. It was agony waiting and clinging to that small hope that things would get better, but the hard part is already done. You talked to someone and you are starting your treatment to get you out of that deep dark hopelessness.

I’m going to tell you what I was told and what helped me most.

It will be ok, IT WILL. If you need anything please call your doctor or talk to someone (you can most definitely message me &#128077 who can support you. If you have any questions or concerns do not hesitate to talk to someone. You are worth it and it is not bothering them to ask for help or just to talk about what you are feeling.

Its been night and day. I’m so glad I talked to my doctor. Things will improve, make sure you have people to talk to and good support lined up.

I suffer from panic attacks, general anxiety, and depression. I take Zoloft and do talk therapy once a week so I can learn how the be ok without medications.
Mike 06:10 PM 02-09-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
I took Paxil for 14 years. I think that the initial side effects are similar for most SSRIs. I had uncontrollable yawning spasms and slept for 3 days when I first started. Then the side effects got less and less every day and we’re gone by 2 weeks.
That's what I was taking to. Had some side effects at first, but not much. I felt the effects in a few days and like the others, it was like night and day after 2 weeks.

Just hang on for a few days and you will see a difference. If you don't notice a difference in a week or 2, tell your doc and maybe a different med will work better for you.

With any anti-depressant, always be open to dosage changes, and even med changes. There are many different options, and they don't all work the same for everyone, and dosages vary as well.
Josiegirl 05:40 AM 02-10-2018
Zoloft is one I've never been on but everyone reacts differently to meds. I truly hope this one works for you because what everyone said about night and day is so true!! Stay in touch with your doctor; I'm sure he told you to call, maybe in a month(?) to see how you were doing? I tried Paxil, side effects I didn't like...same with Well-Butrin(that one was horrible for me but my dd takes it). I'm currently on Effexor which I've been on for quite a few years. It seems to agree with me; still have my dark days but nothing like before. Two women in my family have tried numerous anti-depressants and couldn't sleep or suffered headaches. They never could take anything.

We are all so different; hang in there and take your medication just like the doctor said. You will know when it starts to kick in. I think I remember my dr. telling me I'd start feeling results in a couple weeks to full benefit in a month. Hang tough and don't be afraid to call your doctor!!! Talk with people, whether IRL, or here, but it helps if they understand what you're going through(at least to some extent). Depression and anxiety are widespread; find comfort in close relationships and do NOT isolate yourself!! That's one of my major issues and so easy to do with this job. Sometimes I find it an uphill battle just to make a phone call. It's been much easier for me to come here and talk about it. You WILL come out on the other side and you WILL feel better!!

Indoorvoice 07:29 AM 02-10-2018
Zoloft was a godsend for me. No side effects and I felt better almost instantly. I also started seeing a therapist to help me learn some coping skills. I highly recommend therapy along with the drugs.
LysesKids 07:55 AM 02-10-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Does anyone have experience using Zoloft to fight depression. I was just prescribed this and would like to hear from someone how long it took to feel the effects and how it helped (or didn’t help) you.. I’m in a super bad place right now. Thank you.
I took it 23 years ago after being raped; they weaned me off quickly because of night terrors and other issues... not going there again. I was a single mom of 3 & couldn't take care of my kids properly it messed me up so bad
racemom 08:04 AM 02-10-2018
I have been on it for several years, and it has made me a better person. Before I had terrible panic attacks, general anxiety disorder, social anxiety, and had gotten to the point of not leaving my house. It is a God send for me. I take a low dose, and have only had to increase my dosage once.

I know one side effect I had was tiredness, but I simply changed my time of dosing to evenings, and it helps me sleep.
KTsKids 11:01 AM 02-10-2018
I don't post here very often, I do more lurking than anything. I wanted to respond to you though as I've battled depression for as long as I can remember, as far back as middle school and I'm 35 now. Finding the right anti depressant can be a challenge as each individual responds differently to the various meds. I tried a host of medications and combinations of medications, Zoloft along with an occasional sleep aid is what finally worked for me. Like the others said, it's like night and day once you find the right med for you and it starts working. I noticed a slight difference after about 10 days as it does take some time to build up in your system. I didn't feel the full effect of the Zoloft until nearly a month had gone by, but it was well worth the wait. Coupled with therapy it has been life saving for me!

I found the process of finding the right meds for me as well as waiting for them to take full effect to be super frustrating. Depression zapped my energy and made it difficult to keep going back to the doctor to try different options. The most important thing I can tell you is DON'T GIVE UP!! It's hard, but be patient and keep trying. Hopefully Zoloft works for you as well as it did for me, but if it doesn't there are other meds your doc can prescribe. I hope things get better for you, I think a lot of us have been where you are and can empathize.
Mike 12:51 PM 02-10-2018
Originally Posted by KTsKids:
I think a lot of us have been where you are and can empathize.
I think that was one of the problems in previous generations. Deprtession has existed for probably ever, but nobody really knew what it was until fairly recently. Even when people first started to realise what it was, nobody admitted to having it because it meant they were crazy. It's probably only the last 20 years when people started to see it as an actual medical illness.

Now, anyone fighting depression has no reason to be afraid or ashamed. Whether it's temporary, or a lifetime thing, they don't have to live with it any more.
Pestle 01:31 PM 02-10-2018
My mother has been on Zoloft for nearly 20 years. It makes her drowsy but she has no other side effects.

I was on Paxil for five years as a teenager. I had no side effects. If I ever let my prescription run out, I could tell within two or three days that I was depressed; it took another two or three days for it to start working again once I was back on it.
Tags:depression
Reply Up