Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Indoor Playground vs. Home Daycare
CityGarden 01:55 PM 04-17-2018
In my area there are plenty of indoor playgrounds / birthday party places.... what do you think are the pros and cons owning an indoor playground vs. home daycare?

I am not presently considering it for myself but I think it could be an interesting discussion / comparison.
Blackcat31 06:52 AM 04-18-2018
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
In my area there are plenty of indoor playgrounds / birthday party places.... what do you think are the pros and cons owning an indoor playground vs. home daycare?

I am not presently considering it for myself but I think it could be an interesting discussion / comparison.
I guess I am not understanding what you mean really...

Like instead of having a family child care program inside your home, you are wondering about having an indoor playground instead?

I think it's a neat idea but I wouldn't...those things attract kids like crazy! Oh, I guess that's the point...

Honestly, I see it as a liability tenfold verses the liability of just being family daycare.

I also cringe at indoor playgrounds. I feel like it's the same thing as fat-free cookies....kind of an oxymoron. lol!
But I personally believe that generally large motor activities should take place outside with sunshine and fresh air.
LittleScholars 08:49 AM 04-18-2018
My husband has been building large-scale indoor play places the last few years and the owners have shared what a killing they make. If an area (like mine) isn't saturated, I think it is a great business move. I live in an area in which people are begging for more places to spend their money, especially after the awful winter we just had.

Personally, even on a smaller scale, it isn't for me, but my goals are just different right now. I want to be home with my babies. If I that wasn't the case and if we didn't already have a side hustle, I think it could be a great option.

I do agree that liability would be insane and insurance fees are hefty, but well-run indoor playgrounds have been very profitable in my area.
Ariana 09:05 AM 04-18-2018
I avoid indoor playgrounds like the plague!! I just feel they are dirty and create hyperactivity since there are fluorescent lights and no fresh air. I would rather take my kids outside.

From a business perspective you could make a TON of $$. Parents and kids pay and minimal staff for supervision (from my experience).
jenboo 12:09 PM 04-18-2018
We love our indoor playground! They have a lot of loose parts and imaginative toys.

We go in the summer when its over 100 degrees, in the winter when we are burnt out on the snow (or when my son was so bundled, he couldn't move in the snow) and when I have a lot of work to do (i work from home on the computer) and he needs a change of scenery.

We don't go too often because its $$ but we do love having the option of going.
Snowmom 12:41 PM 04-18-2018
I have actually looked into this. I befriended a local park owner, asked her lots of questions and researched for a year.

The initial investment is MASSIVE depending on the equipment you chose. There are many suppliers to chose from though, many who do contracts all over the country.

In terms of daily operating expenses- little if you chose to do automated entry (code system). Labor costs can be close to zero depending on if you're manning it yourself/with family. Although, you need to factor in if you hire a cleaning crew. If you do parties, you'd need more staff (higher labor costs).

Long term/yearly expenses- high.
Having a retail rental space is expensive. Repairs to equipment is expensive. Replacing equipment is expensive and more often than I initially thought. Insurance is high.

I still plan on opening one in the next few years. Business plans, soliciting financial backers and initial loans is a serious chore.
mommyneedsadayoff 01:01 PM 04-18-2018
Originally Posted by jenboo:
We love our indoor playground! They have a lot of loose parts and imaginative toys.

We go in the summer when its over 100 degrees, in the winter when we are burnt out on the snow (or when my son was so bundled, he couldn't move in the snow) and when I have a lot of work to do (i work from home on the computer) and he needs a change of scenery.

We don't go too often because its $$ but we do love having the option of going.
When I lived in Texas, we went to a few different indoor playgrounds. They were awesome! We especially loved the few that didn't have a whole lot of Jungle gyms, but had a lot of different centers.
One we went to had a jungle gym area, a diner, a dress up station, a store, a creative art station, and so many other I can't remember. I just remember the kids loading their shopping carts with groceries at the store and playing for 2 hours. When it's a hundred degrees by 10am, you can't play outside, so they were awesome alternatives. They are not like the McDonald's play places, that are germy and gross, in my opinion. They were very clean and well-kept. I can't remember how much it cost to get in, but it wasnt much and you could play for as long as you wanted.
CalCare 01:06 PM 04-18-2018
I actually did a full business plan with financials for this and won my college business plan contest with it. I got money and free website design. Which I ended up using for my childcare lol but as SnowMom said, it's the start-up costs that's the problem. I needed $500k to start. And from what I could tell, it wasn't going to be a big money maker. I had a lot of special & unique plans for how I would do it, and not so much indoor playground as we know it, but DAP for every area of development etc and outdoor space as well. In the end property is too high in my area and staff would need to be paid as well. It was too high of a risk, to put so much in loans into something that just may bomb. I knew childcare in my home would at least break even.
Being in a sunny beach town, it didn't make a lot of sense to try to sell "indoor play". I was trying to sell ECE and play and family time. It wasn't looking profitable.
jenboo 04:05 PM 04-18-2018
there are lots of franchises too that you can buy.
LittleScholars 08:56 AM 04-19-2018
Originally Posted by CalCare:
I actually did a full business plan with financials for this and won my college business plan contest with it. I got money and free website design. Which I ended up using for my childcare lol but as SnowMom said, it's the start-up costs that's the problem. I needed $500k to start. And from what I could tell, it wasn't going to be a big money maker. I had a lot of special & unique plans for how I would do it, and not so much indoor playground as we know it, but DAP for every area of development etc and outdoor space as well. In the end property is too high in my area and staff would need to be paid as well. It was too high of a risk, to put so much in loans into something that just may bomb. I knew childcare in my home would at least break even.
Being in a sunny beach town, it didn't make a lot of sense to try to sell "indoor play". I was trying to sell ECE and play and family time. It wasn't looking profitable.
Property cost is important to consider. In my area, many of the successful indoor parks purchased land in random warehouse districts. They aren't far from any of the major suburbs or city centers, but the cost of land is low. The good ones need little marketing here and people go despite the location.

I'm also less attracted to the germy ball pit type parks, but I do love some that inspire creativity. With that being said, I am certain that you will find me at a germy ball pit park during the winter as my own kids get older.
Tags:playground, playground - indoor
Reply Up