Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potty
Core12 06:04 AM 02-20-2019
I have a mom who said her 15 month old goes on the potty at home and asked if I would implement here. I said “sure” we can try. Now everyday she asks, “how it’s going with the potty?”
I really wish I didn’t say I would help implement bc I don’t believe she is doing it consistently at home simply bc she is overwhelmed and always busy with her friends.
Am I wrong? How can I nicely say that I will take her After she is potty trained. I have 10 other kids under 3. No one is potty trained!
Blackcat31 06:17 AM 02-20-2019
Originally Posted by Core12:
I have a mom who said her 15 month old goes on the potty at home and asked if I would implement here. I said “sure” we can try. Now everyday she asks, “how it’s going with the potty?”
I really wish I didn’t say I would help implement bc I don’t believe she is doing it consistently at home simply bc she is overwhelmed and always busy with her friends.
Am I wrong? How can I nicely say that I will take her After she is potty trained. I have 10 other kids under 3. No one is potty trained!
MONDAY
Mom: "How's it going with the potty?"

You: "She hasn't said anything yet but she'll get there. She ate great today and she's been in a great mood."

TUESDAY

You: "She hasn't said anything yet but she'll get there. She had a great day today"

WEDNESDAY

You: "She hasn't said anything yet but she'll get there"

THURSDAY

You: "She hasn't said anything."

FRIDAY

You: "Nothing yet. She had a happy day."

MONDAY

You: "Nothing yet. She's napping well!"
Core12 06:17 AM 02-20-2019
Haha!!!
Hunni Bee 06:23 AM 02-20-2019
Noooooooooope. 15 months? Come on.

I would say, "Hey DCM, it doesn't look like Johnny is quite ready to start pottying here yet. We'll continue to talk about the potty and sitting here and there as practice. Ill let you know when we get closer"
Blackcat31 06:23 AM 02-20-2019
Originally Posted by Core12:
Haha!!!
I am living the same thing right now.
My parent is well trained in how I manage potty training here. This is her second child. Yet she still asks every day.

Her child is NO where near ready and reminds him to use the potty every day when she drops off and then asks how it's going at the end of every day.

I respond as written above.
I figure sooner or later she'll stop asking.

I know she knows my policies and I prefer not having to go over them again again again again again so I just gloss over her question. Just like she glossed over my policy so.....

Hang in there... it's one of the down sides to this job for sure!
lovemykidstoo 06:44 AM 02-20-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I am living the same thing right now.
My parent is well trained in how I manage potty training here. This is her second child. Yet she still asks every day.

Her child is NO where near ready and reminds him to use the potty every day when she drops off and then asks how it's going at the end of every day.

I respond as written above.
I figure sooner or later she'll stop asking.

I know she knows my policies and I prefer not having to go over them again again again again again so I just gloss over her question. Just like she glossed over my policy so.....

Hang in there... it's one of the down sides to this job for sure!
Can I ask what your policy is? I have 2 moms right now. The one girl is 3 and comes here 1 day a week. Mom is stay at home mom. She says oh she' doing fantastic at home, but just won't tell me when she has to go. Well, that is a HUGE component on being ready. She is over 3, talks very well. I have another mom that her daughter is just over 2 and also is doing fantastic at home, but has not told me 1 time that she has to go. Can I sit her on the toilet, wait wait wait and eventually she will go? yup, but the telling part is essential.
Blackcat31 06:53 AM 02-20-2019
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
Can I ask what your policy is? I have 2 moms right now. The one girl is 3 and comes here 1 day a week. Mom is stay at home mom. She says oh she' doing fantastic at home, but just won't tell me when she has to go. Well, that is a HUGE component on being ready. She is over 3, talks very well. I have another mom that her daughter is just over 2 and also is doing fantastic at home, but has not told me 1 time that she has to go. Can I sit her on the toilet, wait wait wait and eventually she will go? yup, but the telling part is essential.
I have an info sheet about skills required for training and I let parents know that until their child tells me (verbally or in some way) that they need to go or have gone......I will NOT be involved. period.

I don't want to talk about potty training, give tips or hints or sure fire ways of training or anything. It's just not a topic I want to be involved in.

Parents feel if I am involved it means doing the bulk of the work. If I remove me from the whole topic, they do the hard work. I will tidy up the loose ends.

I know parents will say "But they spend so much time in daycare" or "They spend most their waking hours in daycare how can I train them?"

I say "Take time off. It's YOUR child. Don't let them be here ALL day."

That works ^^^^^ because when a child is truly ready to be trained, it really only takes a few days. If you are working on it in March and you started last June....the kid is not ready.
lovemykidstoo 06:59 AM 02-20-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have an info sheet about skills required for training and I let parents know that until their child tells me (verbally or in some way) that they need to go or have gone......I will NOT be involved. period.

I don't want to talk about potty training, give tips or hints or sure fire ways of training or anything. It's just not a topic I want to be involved in.

Parents feel if I am involved it means doing the bulk of the work. If I remove me from the whole topic, they do the hard work. I will tidy up the loose ends.

I know parents will say "But they spend so much time in daycare" or "They spend most their waking hours in daycare how can I train them?"

I say "Take time off. It's YOUR child. Don't let them be here ALL day."

That works ^^^^^ because when a child is truly ready to be trained, it really only takes a few days. If you are working on it in March and you started last June....the kid is not ready.
I couldn't agree more. Parents do think that since we're together so much that it's our JOB. Nope. I have a 3 year old (October) that is here full time. My husband says you need to get her on the toilet. I said, they are not doing it at home at all. Not one little bit and I'm not starting it first of all and secondly if they're not doing it too, we wont' be successful.
CountryRoads 07:00 AM 02-20-2019
I have a similar mom. Came back from Thanksgiving break saying he used the potty all weekend (which was 3 days) and sent him to me in underwear. Within 2 hours, he had an accident. This child has never told me he has to go to potty, always wakes up from nap wet, so I was expecting it.

My policy is that I DO NOT potty train. That is the parent's responsibility. Once the child is fully potty trained at home, then I will assist here.
Tags:15 month old, potty training - at home, potty training advice
Reply Up