Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Did I do the right thing?
MissAnn 04:42 AM 03-22-2011
My policy with teachers is that they pay 1/2 price for spring break when their children are not here. One mom asked if she could bring her son a few days and I said yes. I have mainly all teacher's kids. Today 2 kids called in sick. the mom who asked if she could bring her son in texted me at 11:30 last night to ask if I was open. I told her yes. Well, today....no other kids are coming....so I called her and let her know that there were no other kids coming. I should have told her that I would just be closed....but I guess I thought she would just get the hint. Instead there were those uncomfortable pauses. I asked if she had important plans....(which, if she did, she should have confirmed with me before 11:30 the night before!).....she said she had an appointment to get her car worked on. I'm sorry....but her son is 4....why can't she bring him with her? Shoot....I brought my hyperactive 4 year old and a 14 mo old girl I babysat to all of my gyno apps when I was pregnant with my son! So......she ended up saying that she'd reschedule her appt....that it was silly for me to watch just her one son (especially since it was a day he wasn't even supposed to be here) and she said I could probably use a day off. I said thank you and that I really did need a day off. Did I do the right thing.....or should I have watched just the one kid?
mac60 04:52 AM 03-22-2011
You did the right thing. I will never figure out why parents even bother to have a child. No reason the 4 yr old could not have went with the mom.
Jewels 04:53 AM 03-22-2011
I think it was wrong personally, You said last night she could bring him, and then you changed your mind since other kids weren't coming, I think thats bad buisness, and I would be pretty mad if I were the parent, But that JMO.
This is your job, and I don't think it matters if she were having her car worked on, her hair done, or going to take a nap, It shouldn't matter what shes doing, thats her buisness.
MissAnn 04:56 AM 03-22-2011
Originally Posted by Jewels:
I think it was wrong personally, You said last night she could bring him, and then you changed your mind since other kids weren't coming, I think thats bad buisness, and I would be pretty mad if I were the parent, But that JMO.
This is your job, and I don't think it matters if she were having her car worked on, her hair done, or going to take a nap, It shouldn't matter what shes doing, thats her buisness.
This was not a scheduled day for her and in fact it was a "free" day.....me just being nice and letting her bring her son and not charging her for it.
nannyde 04:56 AM 03-22-2011
Last week I had one kid for four days and two kids one day. Never had that happen in 17 years of doing care.

I didn't know about the low attendance until the week before spring break. I stayed open every day because I couldn't ask for any time off without causing conflict with my clients.

Often when you tell clients their child will be the only one they are happy about that. They love the idea of their kid getting you all to themselves. It's not a detterent... it's a bonus.

One to one care for the price of group care is a big bonus.

IMHO If you agreed to do the hours the number of kids in your house doesn't change your agreement.
MissAnn 04:58 AM 03-22-2011
And no, I did not change my mind.....in fact I told her she could bring him if she wanted. I called and told her he would be the only kid.
marniewon 05:03 AM 03-22-2011
If you weren't charging her for the day, then I don't see why you shouldn't have told her not to come. However, I wouldn't have called. I would have wished like crazy that I hadn't said they could come, and hoped they would change their mind, but I wouldn't have called. <--- That's me personally.
ninosqueridos 05:06 AM 03-22-2011
I would never call up a parent the morning of a planned care day and "just let them know" that their kid was the only one hoping that they'd "get the hint" and keep their kid home. And yes, once I confirm I am open and tell them they could bring their child, it becomes a planned care day regardless of their original schedule.
BentleysBands 05:06 AM 03-22-2011
whether 'right' or 'wrong' is each persons opinion but i would have done the exact thing you did. i actually have before....had no kids for whatever reason one day and had a mom who had the day off which i knew about (she will still brings the kids most times which is fine) well, i WANTED a day off so i asked her since everyone else was absent what HER plans were, she said getting nails/hair done so we compromised for 2 hrs of care..worked out fine. dont beat urself up!
Jewels 05:11 AM 03-22-2011
Yes but by calling her, there was an underlying hint, that you didn't want the child there, and you asked her if she had important plans, As a parent I would be like, "okay I get the hint"
MissAnn 05:13 AM 03-22-2011
Originally Posted by marniewon:
If you weren't charging her for the day, then I don't see why you shouldn't have told her not to come. However, I wouldn't have called. I would have wished like crazy that I hadn't said they could come, and hoped they would change their mind, but I wouldn't have called. <--- That's me personally.
Had this been a scheduled day for her son, I would not have called. Being that it was a "free" day on an unscheduled day....I called. She knows my family is going through a rough time. My nephew was hit by a drunk driver and broke his back in 4 places. My sister needs me more than DC mom who could bring her son with her to get her car fixed.
QualiTcare 05:18 AM 03-22-2011
Yes but by calling her, there was an underlying hint, that you didn't want the child there, and you asked her if she had important plans, As a parent I would be like, "okay I get the hint"
i agree - the whole "doing it bc i was being nice" goes out the window when you figure out a way not to do it.
BentleysBands 05:20 AM 03-22-2011
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
Had this been a scheduled day for her son, I would not have called. Being that it was a "free" day on an unscheduled day....I called. She knows my family is going through a rough time. My nephew was hit by a drunk driver and broke his back in 4 places. My sister needs me more than DC mom who could bring her son with her to get her car fixed.
omg, prayers to you and your family!!! stop beating yourself up, you did what YOU thought was good. not everyone agrees but if YOU feel its right then fine.
ninosqueridos 05:20 AM 03-22-2011
I wouldn't offer "free" days if it made me feel like I could cancel the day if I wanted to. JMO. Think about whether you would have done the same thing had she PAID you for the day.
MissAnn 05:30 AM 03-22-2011
Originally Posted by ninosqueridos:
I wouldn't offer "free" days if it made me feel like I could cancel the day if I wanted to. JMO. Think about whether you would have done the same thing had she PAID you for the day.
Neither would I.....and I never have.....but there are circumstances in my family that are just a little more demanding on my mind. Gotta go....I appreciate the comments even if I don't agree...She will probably bring him tomorrow and I can go visit my nephew and sister today...it works out.
MissAnn 05:31 AM 03-22-2011
Originally Posted by BentleysBands:
omg, prayers to you and your family!!! stop beating yourself up, you did what YOU thought was good. not everyone agrees but if YOU feel its right then fine.
Thank you. It's been a very scary time....but he's going to be OK after a lot of therapy. We have a lot to be thankful for.
nannyde 05:36 AM 03-22-2011
This was not a scheduled day for her and in fact it was a "free" day.....me just being nice and letting her bring her son and not charging her for it.
But does the parent see it as free? She's paying half rate for the week. She may view it as at least getting ONE of her two and a half days she had to pay per your agreement.
jen 05:40 AM 03-22-2011
Was it free or did she have to pay 1/2 price over Spring Break? In my opinion, if you are going to charge 1/2 over Spring Break that should entitle them to use a portion of the week.

Even if it were "free" try thinking of it this way...lets say you asked someone to watch your child and they agreed...then canceled at the last minute because something better came along (a child free day in this case). I'm guessing you'd be irritated too.
MissAnn 05:40 AM 03-22-2011
Originally Posted by ninosqueridos:
Maybe I'm beating a dead horse....but when she asked for free days it was so her son could come and play. I told her as long as other kids were going to be here and she should call first. It made sense to me that since I did not know that she did have plans ...that I call to let her know that no other kids were here. Even at that time she didn't offer the fact that she had other plans. I asked her....and she said she had an appt to get her car fixed.

I never had the attitude that I could just cancel just because I want to. I don't treat my parents that way....and she knows it. She did not seem angry....and she said she would reschedule.
wdmmom 05:44 AM 03-22-2011

You'd sure hate the way I run my business than! I specifically have it worded in my contract that I only provide care to parents that work or go to school. If they take a day off, I get the day off.

As for the DCP that called off. No way in heck would I have responded at 1130pm! Nope, nope, and nope. I have 1 teachers child and they pay me 1/2 their weekly rate for spring break and for summer I offer them 15 hours a week of care for 1/2 the normal rate or no cost if they secure a deposit.

I don't think you did the wrong thing. I did the same thing last week! I was going out of town on Friday and was scheduled to close shop at 12pm. 1 kid said they weren't coming, the other was only scheduled to be here 2 hours and the parents said he didn't have to come, so I told the other DCB's mom to see if she could find alternate care. I got a 3 day weekend out of the deal! Nothing wrong with a day off every now and again!
MissAnn 05:44 AM 03-22-2011
Originally Posted by jen:
Was it free or did she have to pay 1/2 price over Spring Break? In my opinion, if you are going to charge 1/2 over Spring Break that should entitle them to use a portion of the week.

Even if it were "free" try thinking of it this way...lets say you asked someone to watch your child and they agreed...then canceled at the last minute because something better came along (a child free day in this case). I'm guessing you'd be irritated too.
Teacher's get 1/2 price for fall, spring, and Christmas breaks. This is how they pay for my vacation.....they get 4 weeks at 1/2 price.
jen 05:45 AM 03-22-2011
I just read the part about your nephew...so sorry for what your family is going through. In this case, perhaps you might have been better to be upfront.

Something along the lines of: "I realize that I agreed to watch your child; however as it turns out there won't be any other children here today. As you know, my nephew is in the hopsital and due to the low enrollment, I would really like to spend this time with them. Would it be possible to change your day until tomorrow so that I can be there for them today?"

Calling up and hoping they get the hint, probably isn't the best business approach, but I do understand why you wanted the day.
MissAnn 05:50 AM 03-22-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
You'd sure hate the way I run my business than! I specifically have it worded in my contract that I only provide care to parents that work or go to school. If they take a day off, I get the day off.

As for the DCP that called off. No way in heck would I have responded at 1130pm! Nope, nope, and nope. I have 1 teachers child and they pay me 1/2 their weekly rate for spring break and for summer I offer them 15 hours a week of care for 1/2 the normal rate or no cost if they secure a deposit.

I don't think you did the wrong thing. I did the same thing last week! I was going out of town on Friday and was scheduled to close shop at 12pm. 1 kid said they weren't coming, the other was only scheduled to be here 2 hours and the parents said he didn't have to come, so I told the other DCB's mom to see if she could find alternate care. I got a 3 day weekend out of the deal! Nothing wrong with a day off every now and again!
No....I do that hate those policies....I'm just not brave enough to do it! I've considered going to contracted hours since some of the teacher's kids are starting to come earlier to drop off and later to pick up. I adore the DC mom that I am talking about today...she is great....BUT she has her son here sometimes from 6:15-4:30. I close at 4:30. Since I am graduating from college in May....I was thinking of staying open till 5:00.....but she would then leave her son here for that long unless I went to contracted hours. I try very hard to be fair....but sometimes I feel like I am doing most of the "bending"......but I love my job and the parents and the kids.
MN Day Mom 05:52 AM 03-22-2011
I have a great relationship with all of my day families and they totally would understand my asking.... or hinting... for a day off if their child was going to be the only one coming.

They all know that unexpected mental health days are very appreciated and can go a long ways....

I would have of done the same thing...well aside from responding to her 11:30at night text.

Enjoy your day and prayers to your family.
MissAnn 05:55 AM 03-22-2011
Originally Posted by MN Day Mom:
I have a great relationship with all of my day families and they totally would understand my asking.... or hinting... for a day off if their child was going to be the only one coming.

They all know that unexpected mental health days are very appreciated and can go a long ways....

I would have of done the same thing...well aside from responding to her 11:30at night text.

Enjoy your day and prayers to your family.
Thank you.....

I appreciate the comments.....

Have a nice day everyone.....over and out!
Blackcat31 05:56 AM 03-22-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
You'd sure hate the way I run my business than! I specifically have it worded in my contract that I only provide care to parents that work or go to school. If they take a day off, I get the day off.As for the DCP that called off. No way in heck would I have responded at 1130pm! Nope, nope, and nope. I have 1 teachers child and they pay me 1/2 their weekly rate for spring break and for summer I offer them 15 hours a week of care for 1/2 the normal rate or no cost if they secure a deposit.

How do you know if they have a day off or are really not at work or school? I would be very uncomfortable asking a parent to verify where they were or where they are planning on being. As a parent, I would feel as if you didn't trust me. What happens if a parent needs to do something not work or school related that would require them to have their child in care? Do they have to have other childcare arrangements for those days? Just curious how that works.....

I do not have the time or energy to double check where parents ar and if they are actually at school or work versus just taking a personal day or what have you....I just want to be paid. If you pay me, you can go home and stare at a hole in the wall for all I care...just pay me to before you begin staring.

I just try to believe that all parents REALLY do want as much face time with their children as possible. I try to believe that they only get childcare services to work or go to school. I try to believe that each parent REALLY does want to spend every possible free moment with their child. But I guess when it comes right down to it...I really don't know so.....I was just wondering how people monitor that type of thing when they have it in their business plans to only provide services for work and school.
MissAnn 05:58 AM 03-22-2011
I tried to add a smilie face.....how do you do it?
And WDMMOM....that should have said....I do not hate those policies?

OK....I will try to do a smilie again...
gbcc 07:05 AM 03-22-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I just try to believe that all parents REALLY do want as much face time with their children as possible. I try to believe that they only get childcare services to work or go to school. I try to believe that each parent REALLY does want to spend every possible free moment with their child.
Ugh. Funny you should say that. I was completely discusted today when a parent dropped her child off at 7:30am (when I open) and then told me she didn't need to be to work until 1pm

This is the nearly 2 year old girl that I have asked for advice for before because she wasn't talking yet and doesn't respond to request to follow. Hmmm, wonder what her problem could be.

Also, why this iritates me is because on Tuesday this child goes to her Grandmothers home EVERY week and STAYS there until Thursday Evening. Why do some people decide to parent??

Oh, I should also mention that the mom can't afford my rate of $30 day so I cut her a deal charge $20 day. So really she is getting a day and a half of care for FREE. So it's not like she needs to get her money's worth.
krystamichelle 07:44 AM 03-22-2011
I would have a hard time turning anyone down that I was charging half a day for. I have a parent that drops hers off early even though she may have 4-6 hours before she has to be at work. Granted, it would be nice to have half a day off, but she pays for full days, so who am I to tell her what she should be spending her time doing while she's paying me to take care of her children? She has made sure they're at least being taken care of, even if she's not the one doing it. I wish I was able to have some "me" time!!
lucky 08:24 AM 03-22-2011
Originally Posted by krystamichelle:
I would have a hard time turning anyone down that I was charging half a day for. I have a parent that drops hers off early even though she may have 4-6 hours before she has to be at work. Granted, it would be nice to have half a day off, but she pays for full days, so who am I to tell her what she should be spending her time doing while she's paying me to take care of her children? She has made sure they're at least being taken care of, even if she's not the one doing it. I wish I was able to have some "me" time!!
I agree. Admittedly it did take me a long time for it not to bother me. Now I only enroll full time children. Even if their parents work part time hours they pay for a full time spot. They are welcome to use their spot as they wish when childcare is open.
daycare 08:58 AM 03-22-2011
you sound just like me. I always want to please everyone and often just get taken advantage of.
don't feel bad, you can't change what you have done and it's not like you ruined your DCP life.

From now on, if you want to allow parents to have drop in care, you need to have a cut off time and stick to it. I had to do this when parents were texting me or calling me at 11pm. That is rude if you ask me. I would never think about texting or calling my mom that late, unless it was an emergency.

I actually require a 24hour notice, unless it's an emergency. I will field those on a case by case basis.
Reply Up