Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCM Mad At Me...Turns Into Me Mad At DCM!
Angelwings36 08:06 AM 03-15-2012
So dcm comes back with all dcg's winter clothing. We were out back playing already. When we go outside I put a huge green note on the daycare door that we are out back and for parent's to come join us. Dcm obviously ignored the note and went inside my house instead. Argh! I know this is my fault as I should have locked the door but seriously what is wrong with people these days? Why do parents think they have a right to our home just because we run a daycare. None of her children were even inside my home!
Jewels 08:19 AM 03-15-2012
My daycare parents all do this, but I leave the door open, they can come in grab their kids stuff, and then go grab their kids. This never bothers me, I prefer my parents to just be comfortable enough to just come on in. (at morning and afternoon drop-off/ pick-ups.
Heidi 08:21 AM 03-15-2012
Originally Posted by Jewels:
My daycare parents all do this, but I leave the door open, they can come in grab their kids stuff, and then go grab their kids. This never bothers me, I prefer my parents to just be comfortable enough to just come on in. (at morning and afternoon drop-off/ pick-ups.
Yeah, me too. The only time I'm a little picky is nap time, but now-a-days, that doesn't even bother me anymore. If someone needs to get picked up during nap, I just go pluck them out and hand them over. Right now they are all in different rooms though, so it's not a big deal.
melskids 08:49 AM 03-15-2012
To be honest, it doesn't really bother me either. I mean, yes, this is my home, but it is also my place of business, and a "home daycare".

My parents are all welcome to come in and make themselves at home.

Now, this does NOT include when I am not open. After being caught in my nightie a few times, I've learned that the hard way.

And any areas I ABSOLUTELY want off limits are locked or gated.
Heidi 09:01 AM 03-15-2012
Years ago I had a client who is now a world-class poker player (no names ).

One day, I was helping get a baby ready and visiting with a mom, and he came a little early to get dcb. I said "Oh, I just heard dcb wake up. WHy don't you go in and get him?' He walked back to my room.

DCM and I were talking, but suddenly I realized that several minutes had gone by, and DCD poker player was not back yet. Dcm said "you should go check..that's wierd".

I found him LAYING ON MY BED WITH HIS SHOES ON! DCB was still in the playpen next to him, and he was coaxing him to go "bye bye"

I almost said..."hey...you know, that is the bed I have (marital relations) on!

Instead, I said "well YOU look comfortable!"

I have to laugh when I see him interviewed. He says the key to his success is being able to read people...

Btw, they were really a nice family, DCD is just a little clueless about some things. This is the same guy who stuck his finger in my cookie dough once and sampled..

I was going to say I hope he doesnt read this, but he probably wouldn't recognize himself in the story anyway....
Small steps 09:01 AM 03-15-2012
This does bother me. Now that I have my garage made into my day care room it isn't a big deal because I can just lock the door to my house and they still have access to their children's things. But really I don't like the idea of someone coming in without my knowledge. I have lots of electronics and valuables and honestly anyone could walk off with something and it would take me a couple weeks (depending on what it is) to even notice.
Also, leaving your door unlocked when you are outside...anyone else could wander in and be waiting for you when you're alone or when you come back in. Guess I'm not very trusting.
Zoe 09:14 AM 03-15-2012
It would bother me if someone came into my home unannounced. Not ok with me. My door automatically locks after 30 seconds. The parents know from day one to ring the doorbell so that I can hear them at the door (unless it's nap time, then knock quietly). No one has ever tried to open the door, and even if they did, they couldn't get in. It's always locked! No one has ever said anything about it either.

Sorry you're having a hard day with this dcm!
TBird 11:52 AM 03-15-2012
I keep my door open in the mornings so I don't have to open it. I have a few parents who wouldn't DREAM of walking through it without me being there to open it though. And the two sets who would walk through it....I'd just lock it if I didn't want them to come in unannounced during nap time or if we're outside.

The only things that "irk" me are if they ask to use my bathroom (they all live within 3 miles of here) and if they go beyond my foyer (my daycare is in a separate area so there's no reason for anyone to be in my living space). I got rid of "that parent" though.
AfterSchoolMom 03:34 PM 03-15-2012
I actually prefer it when they just come in during drop off and pick up. It saves me the trouble of having to go to the door. However, I wouldn't like it at ALL during any other time of day.

If you didn't have other kids, you could saunter up to DCM's car, open the door, slide in, and root around in her glove box....tell her you're looking for a pen or something.
Breezy 03:37 PM 03-15-2012
I always have my door locked. I would be too nervous I would be in the bathroom and someone would come in. Or, on hot days I walk around in a tank top and I like to cover up more for DC parents. Also, I was told in the iinterview for my current DC family that he just walked in once to an old providers home and she was no where to be seen. He just grabbed his daughter and left and she never even knew she was gone.
Michelle 04:54 PM 03-15-2012
Originally Posted by Breezy:
I always have my door locked. I would be too nervous I would be in the bathroom and someone would come in. Or, on hot days I walk around in a tank top and I like to cover up more for DC parents. Also, I was told in the iinterview for my current DC family that he just walked in once to an old providers home and she was no where to be seen. He just grabbed his daughter and left and she never even knew she was gone.
That actually happened to a neighbor of mine, the parent saw their child alone in the yard, she scooped him up and then called the daycare a couple hours later to "check on him" and the provider said he was playing and doing good. She had no idea that he was gone!
daycare 05:02 PM 03-15-2012
Originally Posted by Michelle:
That actually happened to a neighbor of mine, the parent saw their child alone in the yard, she scooped him up and then called the daycare a couple hours later to "check on him" and the provider said he was playing and doing good. She had no idea that he was gone!
Something like this happened to me once but a little different.

Usually my front door is always always always locked. Well we were doing bathroom time, so everyone is in the bathroom area.

During this time a DCP comes and drops off her child without me knowing at all. I was already at my capacity that day and the DCM KNEW she was not supposed to drop off, but some how it worked out that she did.

SO I come out of the bathroom and here is this child standing at the foyer of my home. I look at him like what are you doing here. Then I look to see where is parent is. NO one, gone.

I immediately call both mom and dad, no answer. I had to call LIC to ask them what to do. They tell me that I need that kid to go home asap.

I had also exhausted his entire emergency contact list, which no one answered. Finally 5 hours later I reach the grandma that lived almost 2 hours away. By the time she got to my house, I was already closed. Lets just say they did not get to come back.

SO now my door lock automatically behind you.....Always.... No one comes in my house without me opening my front door....EVER
Ariana 05:18 PM 03-15-2012
I live in a pretty big city so my door gets locked as soon as the parents drop off and leave. It stays locked all day long as well. The only way someone has access to my home is by knocking. This is why I have set drop off and pick up times so we can be inside waiting for people to arrive. In the summer months they can feel free to walk around the back if we're outside but never through my house!!
MamaBear 05:38 PM 03-15-2012
I always kept it locked. I tell them from day one that I have "an open door policy, but I keep the door locked for the children's safety. Just knock and I will quickly let you in". Nobody has ever questioned it ever.

I would be so freaked out to just leave it unlocked. If I'm in the backyard with the kids, anybody could just walk in. That is so dangerous in my opinion. I think the kid's safety is really important so my door always stays locked.
mac60 09:06 AM 03-16-2012
I always lock the front door when we go out back to play. I don't feel parents have the right to freely walk into our homes and wander around. Walking in and staying at the entrance is one thing, but to walk thru my home without me being in there is not right. Heck, some parents think it is ok to coming flying in and walk thru with wet shoes on a rainy day.....no respect.
momma2girls 02:51 PM 03-16-2012
I keep my door locked at all times. It is open in the am, untill all families are here. Then I open it back up at 3:30 when it is wake up time, and snack time. I have had parents completely scare me to death, not knock, just come right in, and not say a word- that is when I decided it is locked from now on!!
This is also my private home, and I keep my door locked at all times anyways. I would never just walk into some one else's house, and scare them to death!!
LittleD 03:52 PM 03-17-2012
Before I moved my daycare to my basement, this used to both me sooooooooo much! I didn't want them using my bathroom, didn't want them any where in my house, as there were things they don't need to see. I may have my bills, or other financial info at my desk, or on my fridge that they have no business looking at but would. And really, do they need to see what brand of tampons I use? Some people are beyond nosy, and it felt like an intrusion. (And yes, it even bugs me when my younger sister comes and looks through my fridge to see what there is to drink, even though we lived here together for 2 years!)

Now that I have a dedicated space, I don't mind so much, it still may irk me a little, because it still is my home, but not like it used to.
Unregistered 07:35 AM 03-19-2012
Originally Posted by Jewels:
Me to. The door must be in a bad location because for the life of me I can't hear the knock even when I'm in the room next to the door. Especally in the winter I don't want my families standing at the door freezing. Kids come and go all day, and I would rather they come in and take DCK's stuff off while I'm helping in the bathroom than sit on my porch for 5 mins. And families are respectful enough to not come all the way in the house. The just come in the door and wait for me at the entry way. I personally don't care if they come in all the way if I don't get out there fast enough, but one day a dad called my phone from the rug because I didn't hear them come in.
Tags:locked doors, parents - don't cooperate
Reply Up