Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would You/Have You Taken Children Whose Mom Previously Did Daycare?
cheerfuldom 11:33 AM 05-09-2013
I got a strange email today from a lady looking for care. I know for a fact that she was doing daycare recently because she was putting ads up in a local moms online group. So either she is fishing for rates and info or she is going back to work. I think she is fishing though....

anyhow, will see what happens. She did not say anything about doing home daycare herself but I nicely pointed out that I was familiar about who she was through the online group. She had contacted me through Craigslist. I guess I will have my answer if she even replies back. She did have a FB page for her home daycare and it looked like too many kids for a legally unlicensed provider, too many toddlers and infants so I highly doubt she was licensed. The background of the pics was very messy, toy explosion. not very nice pictures for parents to see but thats just my opinion. Would some not very flattering info about how a previous provider ran her program deter you from accepting her kids?
butterfly 11:37 AM 05-09-2013
If I had an opening, I'd handle it just as I would anyone else. Just make sure that you are very clear of your policies. I wouldn't necessarily be afraid to take them on as a client unless there were other red flags. I think in most cases, I'd rather have a former daycare provider's kids because they'd have a little more respect for what you do.
daycare 11:39 AM 05-09-2013
once, the family lasted 3 months and I don't think that I will ever again.

every day it was," well I did it this way and it seemed to work better than the way you are doing it".......ugh

HOWEVER, not all people are this way. This lady was just a control freak and could not let it go EVER,......
butterfly 11:41 AM 05-09-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
once, the family lasted 3 months and I don't think that I will ever again.

every day it was," well I did it this way and it seemed to work better than the way you are doing it".......ughHOWEVER, not all people are this way. This lady was just a control freak and could not let it go EVER,......
hummm... never thought about that... good point. on second thought...
canadiancare 11:47 AM 05-09-2013
One of my best mums did her first time round the parenting thing 18 years ago. Now she is doing it all over but prefers her career and "me" time. She pays me electronically the day before it is due, brings me surprise bottles of wine "just because" and her child is without fail dressed appropriately for the weather and daycare.
cheerfuldom 11:50 AM 05-09-2013
okay so she emailed me back and said, yes she is looking for a job outside the home but does not have a job yet. I am really hesitant to interview with someone that is still job searching. Any opinions on that?
butterfly 12:01 PM 05-09-2013
sounds a little fishy to me, considering you know she is a provider. I would try to get as much information through phone and email that you could so that you don't have to waste interview time - if she's just gathering information on her competition.
Childminder 12:14 PM 05-09-2013
I currently have a child whose mother and grandmother had home day cares.

I have/had a child that his mother was working at a Montessori school while she brought him to me.

I had a child years ago that had a nanny but was brought to me 3x a week.
Starburst 12:19 PM 05-09-2013
Originally Posted by butterfly:
sounds a little fishy to me, considering you know she is a provider. I would try to get as much information through phone and email that you could so that you don't have to waste interview time - if she's just gathering information on her competition.
That's what I was thinking too... especially if you think she is currently unlicensed, she may be thinking about getting licensed soon and trying to fish around her competition by seeing what your program offers or what a licensed home daycare should look like. If she is looking for care for older kids who need care she may be using them as spies to tell her things they notice you do through out the day (curriculum, schedules, how you interacted with kids).

Or she could possibly be trying to network with some of your current clients to offer them cheaper child care (like if she asked for references of current families or if she wants to start right away).

But then again maybe not, it's just a thought. I tend to be on the paranoid side .

I have heard of providers sending their kids to other providers so their kids don't get jealous of other kids or many other reasons but those are usually their friends that they already know.

By the way did she say if she plans on referring her current families to you? After all, her families would need to find care soon if she is going to find work out of the home. Does she say anything about when she plans on trying to find a job or stop providing care? Those could be possible indicators if she is legit or if its a red flag. Also how did she react when you reviled you knew who she was?
littlemissmuffet 12:19 PM 05-09-2013
I would NEVER take a family whose mom/dad formerly ran a daycare - I can hear it now "But I did things like this..." or "You should do this because I did..." blahblahblah. No thanks. I already have enough know-it-all parents to deal with.

I would also never interview with someone who was job searching... I only interview when I have serious inquiries looking to take an immediate space (or are willing to pay full price to hold the space until a later date).
Blackcat31 12:20 PM 05-09-2013
I think it all boils down to what YOU are comfortable with...kwim?

If you have no issues standing your ground and using your backbone, then it really shouldn't matter what a parent's previous career choice was.

Also as far as searching for child care BEFORE the parent even finds a job is more of a proactive move in my opinion verses having to scramble later and not really be able to take the time and really interview providers.
RosieMommy 12:24 PM 05-09-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I got a strange email today from a lady looking for care. I know for a fact that she was doing daycare recently because she was putting ads up in a local moms online group. So either she is fishing for rates and info or she is going back to work. I think she is fishing though....

anyhow, will see what happens. She did not say anything about doing home daycare herself but I nicely pointed out that I was familiar about who she was through the online group. She had contacted me through Craigslist. I guess I will have my answer if she even replies back. She did have a FB page for her home daycare and it looked like too many kids for a legally unlicensed provider, too many toddlers and infants so I highly doubt she was licensed. The background of the pics was very messy, toy explosion. not very nice pictures for parents to see but thats just my opinion. Would some not very flattering info about how a previous provider ran her program deter you from accepting her kids?
What would be the problem with this? Couldn't you always term if you decided it wasn't a good fit for whatever reason later? Or do you think if you were to take her and she turned out to be a bad fit, you might miss out on another family looking that would be better? I'm just wondering what's the reason for turning down the business.
cheerfuldom 12:33 PM 05-09-2013
She said she is job searching now and hopes to have something lined up by late summer so I did politely inform her that I do not interview until a parent has a job secured. She did daycare for two years but like I said, I personally felt she had way too many infants and toddlers for one person so I would imagine she just got burned out. It many of the pictures, there were 3 or 4 kids under 12 months (closer to 6 month age) plus her two daughters and then several more older kids. yikes. all the pics were in her own living space and you could tell there was not dedicated kid space so again, she probably got burned out. I wouldnt have space for any of her daycare kids if I took her kids. besides, I wouldnt take any of those babies anyway, or the two older boys I saw in the pictures. I did let her know that I am happy to answer any questions by email but not open to interviewing yet
Play Care 12:44 PM 05-09-2013
Originally Posted by RosieMommy:
What would be the problem with this? Couldn't you always term if you decided it wasn't a good fit for whatever reason later? Or do you think if you were to take her and she turned out to be a bad fit, you might miss out on another family looking that would be better? I'm just wondering what's the reason for turning down the business.
A lot of providers starting out will call around pretending to look for child care when in fact they are rate/hours fishing so they can set theirs. Some will even go so far as to interview, get the contract/policy handbook and then copy it word for word. It happens way too often for most of us not to be suspicious.

I've also heard a lot of providers say that the *worst* clients they ever had were former providers and they could never understand it.

I would really have to know the person well and know the situation (are they really leaving child care?) before considering it.
Oneluckymom 01:00 PM 05-09-2013
One of my DCM's referred her previous provider who was looking for care for her 3 year old son. I was VERY nervous and even posted about it here.

I ended up taking her son. The mom was excellent and very helpful as she had done daycare for about a year but I guess wanted to do something different.

The son however was out of control here and seemed as if he had ADHD to be honest....not exaggerating. He was Also terrible about hitting, spitting on our friends here, and using bad language.

I TERMED by the end of week 3. DCM said she saw it coming.
bunnyslippers 01:21 PM 05-09-2013
I am currently interviewing preschools for my youngest son, and I am a current preschool/daycare provider. I am going back to work in September. I haven't had any resistance to people wanting to meet with me.

I think it could be a good thing to have a previous provider as a client. She will have already dealt with many of the frustrations, and may be empathetic to the challenges of being a provider. She could end up being one of your easiest clients!
RosieMommy 01:30 PM 05-09-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
A lot of providers starting out will call around pretending to look for child care when in fact they are rate/hours fishing so they can set theirs. Some will even go so far as to interview, get the contract/policy handbook and then copy it word for word. It happens way too often for most of us not to be suspicious.

I've also heard a lot of providers say that the *worst* clients they ever had were former providers and they could never understand it.

I would really have to know the person well and know the situation (are they really leaving child care?) before considering it.
Oh ok I understand.
MNMum 02:40 PM 05-09-2013
I do daycare M-Th, and my 3 yo drops in on Fridays at a home daycare. I'm pretty new to licensed daycare and so is my son's daycare provider. I know she will do things her way and that is fine with me! I was nervouse about how my child would behave at another daycare, because at the time he was my hardest client! But she reports that he is good for her.

I think it would depend on the mother's perspective towards her job as a daycare provider. I'm the type that is always looking for ways to do things better, and love to see how other people make this job work for them and the kids. If this person were the type that thought they knew everything daycare, then I may think twice before accepting.

Hopefully she would be a great client, because she knows first hand how difficult it is to deal with parents, etc...
Cradle2crayons 03:04 PM 05-09-2013
I've had nothing but good experiences taking in kids of previous providers. One in particular had a one year old and a two year old and was watching two other children. She did it for a few months and had troubles getting people to pay and got frustrated. She didn't even have a handbook or contract or anything. I took both if her kids and yes, she was the best parent ever. She totally got it. She did say several times she wished she had thought of some things I was doing. But she went back to her previous career. Her kids were great well adjusted kids and very well cared for at home as well as here. After a year and a half her husband got transferred and we all cried when they moved lol. I wish all of my parents were like her!!!

But sure, I can see it could have a very very annoying side too!!
AmyKidsCo 04:47 PM 05-09-2013
I would interview, even if she doesn't have a job yet. If things go well then you'll be all ready to go when she does get a job.
e.j. 05:17 PM 05-09-2013
Personally, I would agree to an interview. Even if she doesn't have a job yet, you would have at least met with her and you'd have a sense of whether or not it could work out. If the interview goes well, you could always either offer to hold a spot for her (with a fee) or tell her you can't hold a spot for her but she should call back once she has a job.
Reply Up