Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Going Down In # Of Naps
TheGoodLife 02:06 PM 06-03-2013
Knowing that all kids are different, around what age do you usually switch from 2 naps to 1? TIA :-)
TheGoodLife 02:07 PM 06-03-2013
(This DCG is asleep within 5 minutes of putter her down in the AM)
MNMum 02:40 PM 06-03-2013
Hmmm...

I think it is done for a variety of reasons. Is said child still taking a long enough afternoon nap. Sometimes I'll switch if they start waking early from the afternoon nap. Usually around 18 mos here, I know others who do it around 2 yrs.
blandino 04:07 PM 06-03-2013
Usually around 18 months for us. Right now I have a 15 month old who takes 1 nap though. Usually around 14/15 we start shortening and making morning naps a little later. And then there is jut a horrible yucky period where they need to stop morning napping, but can't wait for afternoon nap time. I will usually put them down straight from the lunch table when we are in that time period.
Play Care 05:32 PM 06-03-2013
Typically at about 14-16 months I will start making the am nap shorter (putting them down at the same time but getting them up 10-15 minutes earlier each day) and gradually moving them to the one nap. If I notice that the PM nap is affected by the am, I will start sooner. I've had kids who were almost 2 still doing 2 hours in the am and 3 in the PM, and I've had more that were totally done with the am nap by 16 months.
TheGoodLife 05:41 PM 06-03-2013
I just have a DCG that will be 2 in July, recently started crying nonstop during the day so Friday and today I put her down for an AM nap. Asleep within 5 minutes when I went to check on her, still did her PM nap great- I just wonder if mom is going to request I stop doing 2 naps. I figure if she's falling asleep that quickly she is tired and needs the sleep...
blandino 06:57 PM 06-03-2013
Originally Posted by Mama2Bella:
I just have a DCG that will be 2 in July, recently started crying nonstop during the day so Friday and today I put her down for an AM nap. Asleep within 5 minutes when I went to check on her, still did her PM nap great- I just wonder if mom is going to request I stop doing 2 naps. I figure if she's falling asleep that quickly she is tired and needs the sleep...
I have a DCG who will be 2 in July, also. And we just cut her naps, ONLY because it interfered with her afternoon nap. And she just couldn't do it, she was having hysterical meltdowns all morning. I have a feeling her home schedule is a mess and there is no real structure. So now I am laying her down right when she gets here (7:00 on the dot) until breakfast (8:00ish) that has seemed to help. But if it doesn't interfere with her afternoon nap, I would say why not ?!?
mema 07:22 PM 06-03-2013
I typically start around 15 months. That said, I have a 10 month old that I have had since 3 months and he stopped around 5 months. That child will not take a morning nap and is a hot mess at lunch. He gets up at 5:45am and goes to bed around 9pm. He will only nap from 12:30-2:00. That's it. All day.

Has she continually taken 2 naps while at your place? Maybe they have had some late nights or early mornings recently. I say, that if it doesn't interfere with your schedule or her afternoon nap, let her.
cheerfuldom 08:39 PM 06-03-2013
I would say around 18 months but in this case, either she stays up REALLY late and/or wakes up early or possibly there is a health issue here. My one kiddo that took two naps well past 18 months was also very low energy in general and did end up being diagnosed with some health issues including low muscle tone.
Play Care 03:13 AM 06-04-2013
Originally Posted by Mama2Bella:
I find that when I transition to one nap, I will sometimes have to put them down a little early for PM nap. BUT if a child was crying and clearly needed sleep, I would put her down.

At the risk of being flamed, I don't know if this is something I would tell the parents. I don't see an short nap as something that *needs* to be mentioned unless it somehow becomes problematic (of if the child seems ill or has other issues going on). Some kids just need more sleep. And if you already know that this is the type of parent who will blame anything on the "change" in the day care routine... just saying
Tags:naps
Reply Up