Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Call from Child Services
Unregistered 01:48 PM 02-29-2016
I just received a phone call from child services about a dck, more specifically about dck and mom (parents are divorced), and a couple questions about moms boyfriend. From my end, all seems well with dck, no red flags about anything, which I let them know. But now I'm wondering if I should be expecting a visit from them as well, as they did ask what her schedule is here. For those of you who have dealt with calls about your dcks, is it common to have child services show up for a visit to talk to you, or to talk specifically to the dck? Also, would you ever let a parent know that you received such a call? (I don't plan on telling them, but am curious how others feel about this).

Thanks!
Leigh 02:01 PM 02-29-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I just received a phone call from child services about a dck, more specifically about dck and mom (parents are divorced), and a couple questions about moms boyfriend. From my end, all seems well with dck, no red flags about anything, which I let them know. But now I'm wondering if I should be expecting a visit from them as well, as they did ask what her schedule is here. For those of you who have dealt with calls about your dcks, is it common to have child services show up for a visit to talk to you, or to talk specifically to the dck? Also, would you ever let a parent know that you received such a call? (I don't plan on telling them, but am curious how others feel about this).

Thanks!
I wouldn't tell because I wouldn't want to interfere with an investigation.

I have spoken to CPS about kids before, and they've either called or if they've come in person, they've scheduled a visit.
Thriftylady 02:53 PM 02-29-2016
I wouldn't give any of the info over the phone. I am always worried that the person on the other end isn't who they say they are. At the most, I would get their name, look up the phone number myself and call them back. Even then I would want as little to do with it as possible. Unless I saw something that worried me, my answer would be "I have no information to offer you". That would likely include schedule.
Indoorvoice 03:13 PM 02-29-2016
I've never dealt with social services in child care but did all the time as a teacher. I too wouldn't give info over the phone. Ss has always showed up unannounced to my classroom. And usually they don't want to talk to me, they want to talk to the child.
grandmom 03:18 PM 02-29-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I wouldn't give any of the info over the phone. I am always worried that the person on the other end isn't who they say they are. At the most, I would get their name, look up the phone number myself and call them back. Even then I would want as little to do with it as possible. Unless I saw something that worried me, my answer would be "I have no information to offer you". That would likely include schedule.
This. How do we know who was really on the other end of the phone?
Leigh 04:17 PM 02-29-2016
Originally Posted by grandmom:
This. How do we know who was really on the other end of the phone?
With me, I recognize their number-I'm a foster parent, too, and I know everyone in the office.
Unregistered 04:35 PM 02-29-2016
I have foster children in my care and DHS always shows up without notice. I sometimes get, "DHS will be there sometime soonish" (and that could mean today or in 5 days) from the foster parent, but DHS never calls to give me a day or time.

But also, they don't ask to go anywhere in my house. One stood in my entry way and the other just came into the dining room and sat at the table while we chatted.
They're not asking to look in bedrooms or anything.
Thriftylady 04:43 PM 02-29-2016
Originally Posted by Leigh:
With me, I recognize their number-I'm a foster parent, too, and I know everyone in the office.
Well that is a case where maybe I would, but most of us have no real way of knowing. When I was a foster parent in KS, I had to give up my daycare license. We couldn't do both. But DHS never did anything with the kids, they had farmed that out to agencies.
Sunchimes 05:36 PM 02-29-2016
I have. Mom and dad were divorced and mom had just broken up with a boyfriend. He went ballistic! Among other things, he called CPS and accused dad of all sorts of things. One of the accusations was that after picking him up from daycare, Dad fed him a package of cheetos. I got really involved in this mess because boyfriend was stalking my house. Anyway, CPS made an appointment, stayed a few minutes, asked about the child's eating habits, if I had ever had any concerns, gave me her card and left. Parents never heard any more about it.
Unregistered 05:53 PM 02-29-2016
There have been several cps contacts here.
1. Someone apparently called making an accusation on the mom. Cps came here unexpected and asked to see child. Child was asleep, but they gave child a good looking-over, apparently for bruises. They told me it had nothing to do with me, but they knew child was here for dc so came here to check. I did not tell mom.
2. A child with no connection here told one of my dcks (who lived next door to dck) that she was being abused by her father or stepfather. Cps did not want to go to that child's house and raise suspicions from the family so they asked if they could meet here to question my dck with dck's parents present. This one, I can't imagine that I would have allowed them in if the parents didn't know but not sure if I had a right to refuse either.

Frightful thing that happened, a longtime dcf moved aways away and went to different dc. Stepdad and dcm broke up. SD showed up at dc, forced his way in car with dcm and dck at gunpoint. Shot dcm. Dck had so much blood on them that police thought they were shot too. Mom was critical but recovered but disabled for life.
Reply Up