Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Notify Neighbors or Not?
Baby Beluga 07:23 AM 10-04-2018
The fire department is paying my students a visit next week. In the past I have never notified neighbors in advance. But over the past year we've gotten almost all new neighbors, who are older with no young kids. And last year I was given some pretty alarming looks by neighbors who just had to check their mail while we were outside

Should I notify them of our upcoming FD visit? We have mailbox banks here and I thought about posting this on Wed, the visit is on Friday.

I would think if they saw us outside, walking around the truck, no ambulances, etc they would put two and two together...but I'm not sure?

Hi Neighbors!

I own/operate an in-home preschool and as part of our fire safety unit of learning, the fire department is visiting my class on October 12th.

If you see a fire truck on (street name) and young children outside, please don’t be alarmed. My students are just participating in a wonderful learning opportunity provided to us by (local) Fire Department.

Thank you!

Yes...no?
rosieteddy 07:27 AM 10-04-2018
I think in this case that would be thoughtful.In this day and age the firetruck might be alarming otherwise.
lovemykidstoo 09:05 AM 10-04-2018
I wouldn't honestly. I had someone that I knew from the police department come one time at our last house come to see the kids. I used to watch his daughter, so I knew him well. Our neighbors were kinda snooty, so I told him he should throw me up against the car and put handcuffs on me just to get the neighbors talking lmao
Ariana 10:31 AM 10-04-2018
I wouldn’t advertise it for privacy reasons. I am sure they can figure it out!
flying_babyb 08:57 PM 10-05-2018
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
I wouldn't honestly. I had someone that I knew from the police department come one time at our last house come to see the kids. I used to watch his daughter, so I knew him well. Our neighbors were kinda snooty, so I told him he should throw me up against the car and put handcuffs on me just to get the neighbors talking lmao
Umm we did this! As a demostration as what happens when your arrested (was a school age 4-6 year old group). I was cuffed, read my rights and put in the car. Kids thought it was the best thing ever. Was funny till they wounldnt let me out (cop was a friend of the centers cook (a former cop))
e.j. 01:52 PM 10-06-2018
As a neighbor, I think I'd appreciate the courtesy of a heads up. It's rare to see emergency vehicles in our neighborhood so a firetruck would cause at least some curiosity and concern. Older couples with no younger kids may not realize it's Fire Safety Week so they may not put two and two together right away. The only hesitation I'd have in letting them know ahead of time would be if they're the type that would ask me not to do it. I'd much rather apologize after the fact than have to argue with them over any objections they might have before hand.

Whatever you decide, I hope you and the kids have a lot of fun that day.
knoxmomof2 09:26 PM 10-06-2018
OP, it's hard to say. I tend to think it's better to be private about the daycare or events that people might feel empowered to give feedback on when you make announcements, but it would be nice to give them a heads up. Then again, if I'm concerned about what is happening around me, I just look out the window until I'm satisfied. They'll see that there are no sirens and the kids walking around so if they're nosey enough they'll put two and two together.

Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
Our neighbors were kinda snooty, so I told him he should throw me up against the car and put handcuffs on me just to get the neighbors talking lmao
Ha! Yep, I had a former DCD that was a policeman. He volunteered to pay us a visit, he and his partner, both in their own cars, pulled into my driveway. I teased him that he should play tackle either my 14 year old son or a DCK to REALLY make a scene. My son (who is very timid) suddenly became unavailable when they pulled up! 😂😂😂
LysesKids 04:34 AM 10-08-2018
Originally Posted by knoxmomof2:
OP, it's hard to say. I tend to think it's better to be private about the daycare or events that people might feel empowered to give feedback on when you make announcements, but it would be nice to give them a heads up. Then again, if I'm concerned about what is happening around me, I just look out the window until I'm satisfied. They'll see that there are no sirens and the kids walking around so if they're nosey enough they'll put two and two together.

Ha! Yep, I had a former DCD that was a policeman. He volunteered to pay us a visit, he and his partner, both in their own cars, pulled into my driveway. I teased him that he should play tackle either my 14 year old son or a DCK to REALLY make a scene. My son (who is very timid) suddenly became unavailable when they pulled up! 😂😂😂
Where I live (as you know from a week ago when we met), I'm right by the Fire Dept & when a truck comes in to the private community, they have to notify management; I would have to let neighbors in on the event, just so they didn't think I was on my way to the hospital again. I so miss having babies in my home
Blackcat31 06:35 AM 10-08-2018
Depends on your neighbors.
The fire truck visits our daycare every year.
I don't usually inform the neighbors but none of them really care or are even home during the day so it's never been an issue.

We have two other in-home family daycares within a few blocks of me so I usually extend the invitation to them to join us if they want to. One always comes over with her kids and one has only joined us once so far.
hwichlaz 06:59 AM 10-08-2018
Since our county has tried to burn down every year for about 5 years now....I'd let them know.

Only you know our local mood.
Tags:notification letter, notification letter - neighbors
Reply Up