Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare Providers That Also Homeschool
cheerfuldom 07:41 PM 08-02-2013
I am curious how you make this work....how many children do you have and how many are homeschooling? how many daycare children do you care for? how much time are you putting into daycare? how does the schedule work so that you can juggle your kids education needs with the daycare kids needs?
SilverSabre25 07:45 PM 08-02-2013
2 kids of my own
1 being homeschooled
4 dcks

For the rest of it, uh....heh heh heh, ask me again in a month or two! We start school in two weeks.

My plan, however, is to start blending tot school, preschool, and homeschool. I would like my DD to be mostly done by naptime, or at least left only with things she needs my help for. I'm lucky in that she is very bright, very driven, and very independent, so she mostly needs me to get her started then she does things on her own.

I'm trying to do a lot of my prep right now, so that it's easier when we start.
Cradle2crayons 07:59 PM 08-02-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I am curious how you make this work....how many children do you have and how many are homeschooling? how many daycare children do you care for? how much time are you putting into daycare? how does the schedule work so that you can juggle your kids education needs with the daycare kids needs?
I don't currently homeschool my own kids but I used to homeschool my daughter when her brother was an infant and at the time I had three other daycare kids.

It's a challenge but very doable if you manage your time well.

This coming school year both of mine will be in school but I will have one here for half day preschool and my daycare kids and mine will be here in the afternoon.

Homeschooling doesn't require an 8 hour effort so it's really not that difficult to manage. It can be done during nap time even.
Angelsj 08:19 PM 08-02-2013
Time management.

I have, over the past 30 years, homeschooled up to 7 at any given time, plus anywhere from 3 to 13 daycare kids.
It is balance and scheduling. Know what you have to do, and get outside the box. We have done high school chemistry experiments at 10pm after all littles are in bed, and included littles in physics experiments at many times.
Learn to juggle...lol
JoseyJo 10:55 PM 08-02-2013
We don't homeschool now but did for 4 years (2.5 years while doing daycare). Definitely time management! I had very little time for messing around (like being on this forum!) when I did both HS and DC.

When the DCKs were doing any activity that didn't need to be constantly monitored I worked w/ my HS kids. We did A LOT of the work during nap time! We also worked some on Saturday to make up for some time during the week. We were NOT unschoolers and did a pretty structured day.

It was hard but I am SO glad I did it! My oldest boy came home from public school end of 3rd grade year barely able to read. He had a series of (sorry but I'm just gonna call them bad) teachers and a learning style that was difficult in the public school system. He is now a freshman (went to public school in 8th grade) and is in honors algebra and English! .
DaisyMamma 10:54 AM 08-04-2013
Originally Posted by JoseyJo:
We don't homeschool now but did for 4 years (2.5 years while doing daycare). Definitely time management! I had very little time for messing around (like being on this forum!) when I did both HS and DC.

When the DCKs were doing any activity that didn't need to be constantly monitored I worked w/ my HS kids. We did A LOT of the work during nap time! We also worked some on Saturday to make up for some time during the week. We were NOT unschoolers and did a pretty structured day.

It was hard but I am SO glad I did it! My oldest boy came home from public school end of 3rd grade year barely able to read. He had a series of (sorry but I'm just gonna call them bad) teachers and a learning style that was difficult in the public school system. He is now a freshman (went to public school in 8th grade) and is in honors algebra and English! .
Yay for you! Wow!
MrsSteinel'sHouse 12:40 PM 08-04-2013
I homeschooled my daughter that is now in college from 2nd grade through high school and my son always and he is going into his junior year (small sob there)
I have watched 6 kids for most of that time frame. Originally, so we could eat now to keep dd in college.
A lot of it is making a schedule and keeping to it. I use a full curriculum, Seton Homestudy, so I have daily lesson plans. It is teaching them to be somewhat independent and working with short instructional time. It is important to utilize naptime to its' fullest potential!!
The up side is my kids can study through noise, a great asset in college! And they both love kids and can take care of them!
If you have other specific questions feel free to ask!
Tags:homeschool
Reply Up