Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Have DCPs Sign Policy Updates?
trix23 04:05 AM 06-20-2017
If ever you update, add, or change a policy, do you require parents to sign the last page, stating that they agree to follow all new policies? If so, what turnaround timeframe do you expect? What happens if they don't return the papers?
daycarediva 04:15 AM 06-20-2017
Yes, I send them home a copy with just the changes and a space to sign/date it. I also give a time frame, and then like any other required paperwork, I give them a heads up that they cannot return to care after that date unless it's signed. I'm nice, and I leave copies by the door on that date. I have parents sign at drop off.
DaveA 05:56 AM 06-20-2017
Yes. I treat it as a contract update/ addendum. DCPs get 2 copies to sign. One to keep with their records, one for my files.
Blackcat31 06:16 AM 06-20-2017
All policies and contracts are updated yearly. New signatures are required.

If there are changes that cannot wait until the yearly renewal date, I will send a notice of the change a minimum of two weeks in advance and require signatures from all.
Baby Beluga 08:33 AM 06-20-2017
Each fall I update my handbook and contract and have parents re-sign at that time. I usually give about 1 week to return paperwork.
trix23 01:05 PM 06-20-2017
I've been adding more strict policies since families weren't following procedures so I've had 4 addendums the past month or 2.

How should it be addressed verbally or in the addendum if paperwork isn't returned?
CityGarden 01:38 PM 06-20-2017
I suggest you really sit down and look over your entire handbook / policies.....and tighten any areas needed. I feel parents will quickly feel you are unprofessional if you make so many changes back to back.

My contract / handbook is annual and is updated each Fall. I will make the changes as they come up and enroll new people with the new policies those currently enrolled accept the new policies with the new annual contract (i.e. the child I enrolled when I first opened in January has a contract that allows him to be here until 5:30pm my new contracts all end at 3:30pm as the latest pick up..... the 5:30pm child will have to adjust when their contract is up for renewal. Also all new families are allowed pull ups only or be potty trained the initial 2 families are still allowed to bring and are in diapers, etc. First families we allowed to pay by check all new families are required to pay electronically via bank transfer, etc.)

That said IF there was something significant I would add an addendum for all immediately but I would reserve that for something that would bother me to the point I would term over..... or is really impacting my family.
trix23 01:54 PM 06-20-2017
I've been adding policies on illness exclusions, early drop off charges, upping my late payment fee, limiting a child's hours to 9 a day (vs 10), specification for if a xlient gives 2 weeks notice or not and the consequences for no notice, etc.

These aren't me changing my hours but they are important things.
284878 10:44 AM 06-21-2017
I did when I first opened. But then I read Tom's Blog that says to write a hand book and contact separate. Have the contact state that they agree to current policies in the hand book and any future changes. So if I change a policy, I only have tell them in writing of the new policy, if they complain, remind them of the two week notice.
However I make changes to my handbook thoughout the year (label the file with the year) and at the end of the summer I give them updated copies, new contracts (if needed), new FP form and have them review state paperwork.
trix23 09:32 AM 06-22-2017
What's an FP form?

I def like the idea of just implementing changes to the Handbook. I just want to make sure I'm doing things fairly.
AmyKidsCo 01:20 PM 06-22-2017
I have a form for parents to sign that states they read and agree to abide by the Handbook but not all parents sign it. My contract and Handbook are separate and all the important stuff (time & money) are in the contract so as long as that's signed I'm not too worried about it.
bklsmum 05:42 AM 06-23-2017
I update the handbook yearly and all parents have to redo paperwork every year including a handbook acknowledgement so...kinda...I haven't made them sign for policy changes I make during the year other than that but am implementing a requirement that they do in September.
Tags:policy - revisions, policy changes
Reply Up