Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parking/Traffic Issues with HOA
daycare 08:49 AM 07-28-2011
So I have always worked on contracted hours. Because of summer, I have not been enforcing parents to abide by them so much. Well my not enforcing got me into trouble with my HOA.
I got a letter yesterday from my HOA stating that someone (a neighbor) has filed a complaint that my DCP are blocking driveways and creating too much traffic...

Ok so first off, right now I have 3 families coming, two out on vacation for another month. So this must have been a complaint that took awhile for me to get the notification so I think.... I was full a few months ago and did have to tell some parents to not block driveways and etc.... SIlly parents....

So I have put this statement together to add to my PHB that will go out in SEPT. Please let me know what you think and does it sound like it will help stop the traffic issues that the HOA is complaining about?

Contracted hours: Each family is contracted to arrive and depart at a set time each day as agreed upon in your signed contract.

Contracted hours are necessary in order for the daycare to run smoothly. It helps refrain from traffic build up/parking issues outside my home, as each family is set to arrive and drop off at different times. It is also designed to minimize constant disruption in the morning, while the provider is trying to prepare breakfast, tend to children’s needs, and answer the door to families that are arriving.

Arriving just a few minutes early or late can create a very chaotic situation for the provider and for the children. You must notify the provider if you are not going to be able to arrive or depart at your contracted times. Remember, there will be early/late fees of $1.00 per minute that you are early dropping off or late picking up. You will be given a 5 minute grace period for both.
bice99 09:01 AM 07-28-2011
Sounds good to me. I would even add something about your HOA in it so people are extra careful.
daycare 09:06 AM 07-28-2011
Originally Posted by bice99:
Sounds good to me. I would even add something about your HOA in it so people are extra careful.
Do you mean say something like. Being that my home is in an HOA, it is necessary to abide by these times??
MarinaVanessa 10:09 AM 07-28-2011
I have an HOA too and for that very same reason I have policies specifically catered to this problem. Here's what I've got.

Homeowners Association Fees
Being that the daycare home is a condo the home is required to follow certain association rules. Many of these rules have been added to the daycare’s policies and all of the clients are expected to follow them. In the case that the provider incurs any fees from the homeowners association due to failure to follow these policies either by a child, parent or person authorized to pick a child up from care etc., then the contracted parent/guardian will be responsible for payment of these fees. This payment will be due immediately.

Parking
Space for parking is limited and so to facilitate the pick-up and drop-off process please be considerate and not stay in the units designated parking spot for too long. At no time is parking in or blocking neighboring driveways, neighboring parking spaces or red curbs allowed.

Parent's are less likely to park where they shouldn't when there's a price tag attached to doing so.

BUT I would write your HOA and ask what the vehicle looked like so that you can make sure it was one of your clients. I had a situation once where I received a letter from my HOA for the same thing but my letter didn't specify what the car looked like or anything. I wrote them and then called them and asked for the vehicle description, they said they didn't have it I asked for that statement in writing and requested that they remove the last letter from our file because there was no way to proove that it was a daycare client without a license plate number or at least a vehicle description. They said that they would look into it and I asked for that statement in writing also and asked for them to contact me in writing only (they emailed me). They must have called the person who made the complaint and asked for the vehicle description because I received an email of the description but none of my clients drove a car like that. I wrote an email back to them and I listed all of the cars that my clients drove including color, make, models and license plate numbers. It turned out to be the daughter of another neighbor that was visiting and I had no shame providing them with her vehicle description and license plate number. I got an email back with an apology and statement that it would all be removed from my file. SO ... if you want to try to go this route you can, unless you know for sure that your DC parents were the ones to park in those areas or you're almost positive then you may want to try and fight it. You wouldn't want someone to be reporting you when someone parks incorrectly and assume it must be one of your clients only because you do DC. Just a thought.
daycare 10:15 AM 07-28-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I have an HOA too and for that very same reason I have policies specifically catered to this problem. Here's what I've got.

Homeowners Association Fees
Being that the daycare home is a condo the home is required to follow certain association rules. Many of these rules have been added to the daycare’s policies and all of the clients are expected to follow them. In the case that the provider incurs any fees from the homeowners association due to failure to follow these policies either by a child, parent or person authorized to pick a child up from care etc., then the contracted parent/guardian will be responsible for payment of these fees. This payment will be due immediately.

Parking
Space for parking is limited and so to facilitate the pick-up and drop-off process please be considerate and not stay in the units designated parking spot for too long. At no time is parking in or blocking neighboring driveways, neighboring parking spaces or red curbs allowed.

Parent's are less likely to park where they shouldn't when there's a price tag attached to doing so.

BUT I would write your HOA and ask what the vehicle looked like so that you can make sure it was one of your clients. I had a situation once where I received a letter from my HOA for the same thing but my letter didn't specify what the car looked like or anything. I wrote them and then called them and asked for the vehicle description, they said they didn't have it I asked for that statement in writing and requested that they remove the last letter from our file because there was no way to proove that it was a daycare client without a license plate number or at least a vehicle description. They said that they would look into it and I asked for that statement in writing also and asked for them to contact me in writing only (they emailed me). They must have called the person who made the complaint and asked for the vehicle description because I received an email of the description but none of my clients drove a car like that. I wrote an email back to them and I listed all of the cars that my clients drove including color, make, models and license plate numbers. It turned out to be the daughter of another neighbor that was visiting and I had no shame providing them with her vehicle description and license plate number. I got an email back with an apology and statement that it would all be removed from my file. SO ... if you want to try to go this route you can, unless you know for sure that your DC parents were the ones to park in those areas or you're almost positive then you may want to try and fight it. You wouldn't want someone to be reporting you when someone parks incorrectly and assume it must be one of your clients only because you do DC. Just a thought.
thanks for sharing that... yes, they did give a description of the make and model of the car that was not only blocking the neighbors driveway, but also using the drive way to make u turns in....UGH I have actually talked to this parent about it before. I live in a house with a HUGE drive way. I do have two huge vehicles and a boat, but every morning I get up and move my SUV so that parents can park in my drive way. There is also one spot in front of my house they can use too.

See if they were to abide by their contracted drop off and pick up, everyone of my parents should be able to park in my drive way becuase they are spaced out every 15-20 minutes. Now for the u-turn issues, thats just rude. But again, if they were parked in my driveway, they would not need to make a u turn in anyones drive way for any reason.

I think that I will snake your first opening statement....if that's ok... thanks for sharing.....
MarinaVanessa 10:30 AM 07-28-2011
Not a problem, have at it. I have found that it works extremely well. I don't know how your HOA works but mine gives you a first initial warning and then the second time there is a $50 fine, and every infraction after that goes up by $50 ... in other words the 3rd infraction is $100, the 4th $150 etc. So that being said, I explain this to my clients so that they are aware.

I did have a DCM (no longer here) that would constantly park in no parking zones or in other unit's spaces and I received an initial warning for her and then a fine and I charged her for it and she from then on never parked where she shouldn't again. I had another situation from a DCM that did the same and I got a fine and charged her for it, never happened again. I now tell new clients when I go through my policies that the fine is now at $150 and they give me this look . I havn't had an issue with it since then
daycare 10:44 AM 07-28-2011
Not a problem, have at it. I have found that it works extremely well. I don't know how your HOA works but mine gives you a first initial warning and then the second time there is a $50 fine, and every infraction after that goes up by $50 ... in other words the 3rd infraction is $100, the 4th $150 etc. So that being said, I explain this to my clients so that they are aware.

I did have a DCM (no longer here) that would constantly park in no parking zones or in other unit's spaces and I received an initial warning for her and then a fine and I charged her for it and she from then on never parked where she shouldn't again. I had another situation from a DCM that did the same and I got a fine and charged her for it, never happened again. I now tell new clients when I go through my policies that the fine is now at $150 and they give me this look . I havn't had an issue with it since then
mine is exactly the same way. and makes me wonder what they do with it. We have no park, no pool, they don't maincure lawns or park ways......lol.

So is that exactly how you have it worded as you posted it here?
MarinaVanessa 11:00 AM 07-28-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
mine is exactly the same way. and makes me wonder what they do with it. We have no park, no pool, they don't maincure lawns or park ways......lol.

So is that exactly how you have it worded as you posted it here?
Yep. I have it in word then print however many copies I need so I just copied and pasted it directly from my handbook.

We have steep HOA fees/ $310 a month. BUT we have 3 pools, 3 guest houses, manucured lawns and greenery, swept walkways and HOA pays our water and trash. They'd better for the amount that we are paying.
daycare 11:16 AM 07-28-2011
Yep. I have it in word then print however many copies I need so I just copied and pasted it directly from my handbook.

We have steep HOA fees/ $310 a month. BUT we have 3 pools, 3 guest houses, manucured lawns and greenery, swept walkways and HOA pays our water and trash. They'd better for the amount that we are paying.
ugh mine are $375 a month and we don't get squat...lol however, they did just repave our streets and put up brand new much taller fences in our backyards...

I hate HOA.... I really did not want to move here, but with my husband going into medical school and not able to work, the price was right.
sharlan 03:04 PM 07-28-2011
My PHB states:

I request that parents AND children MUST have respect for my neighbors at all times. This is not their business, do not involve them.

There is to be no loud music or honking of horns upon drop off and pick up.
There is to be no blocking of any neighbor's driveways, or use of their driveways at any time.
There is to be no loud yelling to or from children during drop off and pick up.

I no longer live in a HOA, but I would put something in your handbook that states the fine is now $$$ for infractions to HOA rules.
MarinaVanessa 07:49 AM 07-29-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
the price was right.
You're lucky, you brobably bought when the market was low. DH bought here before I came in the picture and we're upside down because of the market. We owe more than what it's valued at. Just think of it like we do ... it's our "right now" house, not the "right house". When your DH has his medical career you'll be rolling in the buku bucks and you'll be able tell the HOA to shove it .

We've been doing imporovements on our place and saving some extra on the side so that we can buy a house and get out of here. We hate our HOA too.
daycare 09:10 AM 07-29-2011
well lets pray that he makes it ok through medical school, we still have two years to go... But I know how you feel.. A lot of my family has walked from their homes due to the same situation you are in.

Hang in there, I am right there with you tuffing it out here...lol I look at like this...life could be worse, I could be in no home or I could be back in my home country and I would rather be here homeless first....lol
Tags:hoa, parking
Reply Up