Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Child Who Won't Drink 1% Milk
Country Kids 01:09 PM 08-16-2012
I just found out the reasoning my one child won't drink milk here. They only drink whole milk at home. They have brought it in a cup here and the child will guzzle it down.

My problem is they won't drink milk here because it 1%. Would you offer water instead? I throw it away everyday because they aren't drinking it.
jojosmommy 01:13 PM 08-16-2012
Do you HAVE to offer b/c of your fp rules? In my case we are allowed to offer any amount so long as we have more available if they want more. I have on who refuses milk here but I only put a little in her cup, I always have more avail if she wants but I dont waste a bunch b/c she chooses not to drink it.
sharlan 01:16 PM 08-16-2012
I refuse to drink 1%, so I refuse to give it to my kids. We drink 2%, and yes, I can tell the difference. My kids are starting to drink more water though.
Heidi 01:17 PM 08-16-2012
I would talk to mom and dad, and let them know that the food program has changed the requirements (and the USDA it's recommendations). Would they consider moving to 2% at home? They could start off mixing it with whole for a few days, then gradually go all the way. Then, 2% at home to 1% there wouldn't be such a big leap for kiddo.
Blackcat31 01:18 PM 08-16-2012
Offer of·fer [aw-fer, of-er] verb (used with object)
1. to present for acceptance or rejection; proffer: He offered me a cigarette.
2. to propose or put forward for consideration: to offer a suggestion.
3. to propose or volunteer (to do something): She offered to accompany me.
4. to make a show of intention (to do something): We did not offer to go first.
5. to give, make, or promise: She offered no response.

I say "Jameson, would you like some milk?"

Jameson says "No thank you. Can I have water please?"

I say "Absolutely. Here is your water"

100% food program compliance. I "offered". He declined.
Heidi 01:21 PM 08-16-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I have done that with SA's who I know won't eat/drink what's offered anyway. Toddlers get a little of everything on their plate, but I can't "fix" a 9 yo's eating habits in 10 weeks.

On the other hand, I had one refusing brocoli until two of my schoolagers were "fighting" over some one day, and now he LOVES brocoli...
Country Kids 01:26 PM 08-16-2012
I did talk to mom and she was like "Yuck" when I mentioned the milk we have to serve. They aren't changing as they like their whole milk.

I do offer child milk, they says yes, but don't like it when I give it to them. They want milk to drink just not what we have to offer.
JenNJ 02:05 PM 08-16-2012
I do as BlackCat. One child here HATES milk. I *offer* it to him everyday.

A restaurant has a lot of offerings on the menu. They don't have to show them to me for me to know they are available.
Country Kids 02:08 PM 08-16-2012
This child would like milk to drink with their lunch, just not 1%. Thats the problem. They want it just don't like the tast of the 1%.

Would this be wrong do you think? If I offered the 1%, they don't drink it but then give them some whole?
JenNJ 02:11 PM 08-16-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
This child would like milk to drink with their lunch, just not 1%. Thats the problem. They want it just don't like the tast of the 1%.

Would this be wrong do you think? If I offered the 1%, they don't drink it but then give them some whole?
I would not buy separate milk for a dc child. Unless mom and dad want to pay the extra $4 for the half gallon. Because once you start that ball rolling, it doesn't stop. Jimmy only likes chunky peanut butter, Sally only likes red grapes, Johnny only lemon yogurt, Kimmy only likes Swiss cheese, etc. Slippery slope.
e.j. 02:12 PM 08-16-2012
Originally Posted by Heidi:
I would talk to mom and dad, and let them know that the food program has changed the requirements (and the USDA it's recommendations). Would they consider moving to 2% at home? They could start off mixing it with whole for a few days, then gradually go all the way. Then, 2% at home to 1% there wouldn't be such a big leap for kiddo.
If the parents aren't willing to make the change at home, I'd ask if they'd be willing to supply you with a bottle of whole milk so you could gradually get him used to the taste of 1% at your house. Do the same thing Heidi suggested: start of with mostly whole milk and decrease whole milk while increasing 1% milk.

When all else fails, I take this approach, too. You can lead a horse to water but sometimes, you just can't make it drink!
saved4always 02:16 PM 08-16-2012
I always had in my contract that the parents had to provide milk if their child drank anything except skim which is the only kind I buy. I had kids who drank whole, soy, organic and everything else except skim. So the parents always sent a carton for the week or a sippy cup full each day. I was legally unliscensed so I could have any rules about milk that I wanted.
jojosmommy 03:03 PM 08-16-2012
We have had a few conversations about the perceived importance of milk and the actual benefits. Imo if the dck doesnt want 1% he will get his calories elsewhere, like from the wholemilk at home.
itlw8 03:47 PM 08-16-2012
If your rep is there you had better offer it in a cup asking them is not enough.

you could have the parents bring some whole milk with the understanding you will be mixing it with the 1 % and slowly decrease the whole milk. The child will learn to drink it. unfortunately they may refuse the whole milk at home.
crazydaycarelady 03:48 PM 08-16-2012
My family drinks whole milk and that is what I give the kids too and if I could get raw milk that's what we would be having! Also calcium cannot be absorbed into the body without some fat so we get more calcium actually into our bodies by drinking whole.

My good friend has taught me a lot about food in its natural state and that is what I try and go for. For example I think butter (made from milk from a real cow) is a much better alternative than margarine that is one molecule away from plastic and even flies won't lay eggs in it is so foreign.
itlw8 04:03 PM 08-16-2012
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
My good friend has taught me a lot about food in its natural state and that is what I try and go for. For example I think butter (made from milk from a real cow) is a much better alternative than margarine that is one molecule away from plastic and even flies won't lay eggs in it is so foreign.

That is a big myth from the internet. margarine is made from vegetable oil. not petroleum oil.

so if you believe that do not eat any corn, soy, peanut, canola, olives or anything they can make oil from.

by the way I have never seen flys lay eggs in butter either. so do not eat that either.

by the way your body needs Vitamin D to absorb calcium not fat.....

Vitamin D
You need vitamin D to absorb calcium from food. If you are a healthy individual, your skin can make vitamin D when radiation from the sun hits your skin. You also can get vitamin D from food sources such as cod liver oil, fatty fish and fortified foods such as cereal and milk. According to the Linus Pauling Institute Micronutrient Information Center, vitamin D not only improves calcium absorption from food through the small intestine, but also helps your body retain calcium instead of excreting it through the kidneys

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/33...xzz23kmuK8Yeit

Vit D is put in all milk not just Whole milk that for some reason people call Vit D milk.... there is actually MORE calcium in skim milk per volume because the fat has been removed.

I know I am coming across like a know it all on the subject... sorry. Mother is a dietition and it has been drilled in our heads all our lives.... no you do not need milk but you do need calcium.... milk is just an easy way to get it....
Angelsj 05:31 PM 08-16-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I did talk to mom and she was like "Yuck" when I mentioned the milk we have to serve. They aren't changing as they like their whole milk.

I do offer child milk, they says yes, but don't like it when I give it to them. They want milk to drink just not what we have to offer.
Buy whole milk...offer 1%, child doesn't like it, refill with whole.
Again, food program interfering, but honestly, I believe the parents have more say than the government. If the food program comes and actually happens to ask about that one child, I would tell them the truth. The parents requested whole.
Angelsj 05:31 PM 08-16-2012
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
My family drinks whole milk and that is what I give the kids too and if I could get raw milk that's what we would be having! Also calcium cannot be absorbed into the body without some fat so we get more calcium actually into our bodies by drinking whole.

Amen! This needs a like button!
MrsSteinel'sHouse 05:41 PM 08-16-2012
The food program doesn't override parents. My parents don't want 1% so I do 2% and they write me a note and if they have their peditrician write that it is even better. I also have one on rice milk.
juliebug 06:38 PM 08-16-2012

That is what i do! I have lots of kids who will not no matter what drink milk! my dd included!
seebachers 04:50 AM 08-17-2012
just have parents bring in the whole milk and be done with it. No cost out of your pocket and the kid and parents are happy. FWIW - milk is gross LOLOLOLL
Crazy8 05:54 AM 08-17-2012
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I refuse to drink 1%, so I refuse to give it to my kids. We drink 2%, and yes, I can tell the difference. My kids are starting to drink more water though.
same here!

yet another reason I am glad I am not on the food program, can't believe they dictate that you can only serve 1% milk!! wow. Like I said in another post recently, I technically "get" over $2 per day per child just for serving snacks/milk, no meals to cook and no ridiculous rules to follow.
MarinaVanessa 10:58 AM 08-17-2012
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
same here!

yet another reason I am glad I am not on the food program, can't believe they dictate that you can only serve 1% milk!! wow. Like I said in another post recently, I technically "get" over $2 per day per child just for serving snacks/milk, no meals to cook and no ridiculous rules to follow.
Wow $2 per day per child? That would suck. This is what I get from the food program:
$1.14 for breakfast
$2.05 for lunch
$0.68 for snacks

I serve breakfast, lunch and two snacks so I get $4.55 a day per child. I have 6 DC kids daily so thats a minimum of $27.30 per day, $136.50 per week. That almost covers my entire DC groceries so for me the food program is well worth it.

The reason for the 1% milk requirement is because unless the child is under 2 years old they don't need the extra's that vitamin D has. I actually agree with the 1% milk requirement. Chances are most DC kids are filling up on junk food, greasy food and milk while at home which is why the government offers the food program. I have always served healthy meals and initially joined the food program so that when parents brought their kids with cookies, chips, candy and fast food I could say that I couldn't serve it here. Except for the claiming portion of the work I really like our food program now.

Like Blackcat said above ... all you have to do is offer it. They don't have to drink it. I do the same. If they don't want 1% milk I offer water. I don't offer anything else. Not even juice. Juice (even natural) has so much sugar in it that I prefer to offer fresh fruit instead. I only serve milk and water, thats it. Even then I only keep milk here because of the DC food requirements. My family doesn't even drink it.
Heidi 11:10 AM 08-17-2012
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
Buy whole milk...offer 1%, child doesn't like it, refill with whole.
Again, food program interfering, but honestly, I believe the parents have more say than the government. If the food program comes and actually happens to ask about that one child, I would tell them the truth. The parents requested whole.
Yeah, that won't fly here. Unless there is a doctor's note, you feed them the requirements, or you don't claim it. Why?

Because telling the truth about breaking a rule will get you kicked off the food program. When you get kicked of the food program...

they report it to licensing....

who pulls your license for failure to follow all applicable laws and regulations...

Kind of like "if you give a mouse a cookie"

So, if you want to give him whole milk, and his parents want you to give him whole milk, then get a diet statement from the doctor. Otherwise, do as BlackCat suggested. Ask him...he says' no, you offered it.
DCBlessings27 12:05 PM 08-17-2012
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Wow $2 per day per child? That would suck. This is what I get from the food program:
$1.14 for breakfast
$2.05 for lunch
$0.68 for snacks

I serve breakfast, lunch and two snacks so I get $4.55 a day per child. I have 6 DC kids daily so thats a minimum of $27.30 per day, $136.50 per week. That almost covers my entire DC groceries so for me the food program is well worth it.

The reason for the 1% milk requirement is because unless the child is under 2 years old they don't need the extra's that vitamin D has. I actually agree with the 1% milk requirement. Chances are most DC kids are filling up on junk food, greasy food and milk while at home which is why the government offers the food program. I have always served healthy meals and initially joined the food program so that when parents brought their kids with cookies, chips, candy and fast food I could say that I couldn't serve it here. Except for the claiming portion of the work I really like our food program now.

Like Blackcat said above ... all you have to do is offer it. They don't have to drink it. I do the same. If they don't want 1% milk I offer water. I don't offer anything else. Not even juice. Juice (even natural) has so much sugar in it that I prefer to offer fresh fruit instead. I only serve milk and water, thats it. Even then I only keep milk here because of the DC food requirements. My family doesn't even drink it.
I'm confused. I thought that the rates were the same for the 48 continental states. I get reimbursed more than what MarinaVanessa says hers are.

Breakfast 1.24
Lunch 2.32
Snack .69
Heidi 12:12 PM 08-17-2012
Originally Posted by katieica:
I'm confused. I thought that the rates were the same for the 48 continental states. I get reimbursed more than what MarinaVanessa says hers are.

Breakfast 1.24
Lunch 2.32
Snack .69
mine are the same here....
MarinaVanessa 12:31 PM 08-17-2012
Oh I'm sorry I grabbed the old rate sheet. You are right. The sheet I grabbed was from 2007 . I'm used to just getting the checks and depositing them lol.
Crazy8 08:48 PM 08-17-2012
$1.14 for breakfast
$2.05 for lunch
$0.68 for snacks

I think you misunderstand... I get $2 and do not serve meals - the standard tax cedit for this year is 69 cents per snack - not sure what it is for lunch since i am on my phone and cant pull it up as easily but i am guessing it is close to the amount the food program gives. I just dont see the point in dealing with the crazy rules of the food program if the standard deduction is close in rate. More headache than its worth to me.

I hate the constant bashing of parents feeding their kids junk - my kids and all but a few of my dcks over the years eat healthy but we choose to drink 2% milk, i do not feel it is anyones right to tell me i have to give them 1%.
itlw8 10:01 PM 08-17-2012
The standard deduction IS the amount that is paid for the food program. That is how it is set. but I am confused HOW do you get $2 a day for nor feeding them The parents pay an extra $2 a day for snacks?
SilverSabre25 05:38 AM 08-18-2012
Originally Posted by itlw8:
The standard deduction IS the amount that is paid for the food program. That is how it is set. but I am confused HOW do you get $2 a day for nor feeding them The parents pay an extra $2 a day for snacks?
Nope, I'm pretty sure food program amounts are different that the standard deduction you can take on your taxes at the end of the year. That's what Crazy8 is referring to. The food program amounts differ based on whether you get Tier 1 or Tier 2 and you h ave to only serve according to their guidelines,can only claim certain meals, etc. The standard deduction on your taxes is the same no matter what, they don't care what you fed the kids and you can claim as many snacks and meals as you actually serve instead of the 1 meal/2 snacks or 2 meals/1 snack per the food program.
MyAngels 06:32 AM 08-18-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Nope, I'm pretty sure food program amounts are different that the standard deduction you can take on your taxes at the end of the year. That's what Crazy8 is referring to. The food program amounts differ based on whether you get Tier 1 or Tier 2 and you h ave to only serve according to their guidelines,can only claim certain meals, etc. The standard deduction on your taxes is the same no matter what, they don't care what you fed the kids and you can claim as many snacks and meals as you actually serve instead of the 1 meal/2 snacks or 2 meals/1 snack per the food program.
The standard IRS deduction is based on the USDA Tier I rates.

You can deduct up to 6 meals or snacks per day, if you actually serve them.
Angelsj 09:59 PM 08-18-2012
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
The standard IRS deduction is based on the USDA Tier I rates.

You can deduct up to 6 meals or snacks per day, if you actually serve them.
This ^
I do this every year, and deduct all the meals/snacks I serve. Since I work such odd hours, I count a variety of each meal and snack. Of course, you cannot count your own kids.
MarinaVanessa 11:45 AM 08-20-2012
I used to only claim the standard meal rate alone but it was better for me to be on the food program and have that extra income every month and do both. Just because you are on the food program doesnt mean that you can't still claim the standard rate as well. I do both. I receive the money from the food program and also claim the standard rate.
Crazy8 12:22 PM 08-20-2012
Originally Posted by itlw8:
Kids bring their breakfast and lunch from home so no time cooking, coming up with meal plans, throwing away food, dealing with food program rules, etc. The snack rate for this year is 69 cents - I serve 3 a day (I count lunchtime as a snack because I serve milk/crackers with whatever they've brought from home) so that totals $2.07 per child. I only take up to 5 kids so it comes out to about a $2700 tax deduction at the end of the year and I do not have to save receipts, deal with food program rules, can serve any type of milk I want (which was why I was posting in the first place), etc. etc. I know for fact that I do not spend $2700 a year on snacks.

I don't know what the difference is for everyone who does food program vs. taking the standard deduction but I have seen numerous complaints about food programs rules/paperwork that I just don't know that unless it was a huge difference I would bother dealing with them.
Crazy8 12:24 PM 08-20-2012
I used to only claim the standard meal rate alone but it was better for me to be on the food program and have that extra income every month and do both. Just because you are on the food program doesnt mean that you can't still claim the standard rate as well. I do both. I receive the money from the food program and also claim the standard rate.
well that would be a huge difference - I had no idea you could claim BOTH!
itlw8 12:49 PM 08-20-2012
money claimed as an expense is not cash in your hand. it is taken off what you made. This you do even if you get income from the food program

money from the food program is cash in your hand. yes if you are on teir 2 it is far less than those on teir 1.... but even so it is cash in your hand. Cash that you had to do far less work for than caring for a child.

Yes some of the rules are silly but are there because of the people that commit fraud.... and to keep the kids healty.

Yes some of the reps are bad. But if there is more than one sponser in your area you can choose a different sponser....

I know it does not work for everyone but I would stop and pick up a dollar bill so I for sure will not thow away $200 for less than an hour of paperwork a month.... and now I was moved to teir 1 so I for sure would not thow away $400.
Tags:milk, won't drink milk
Reply Up