Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ok to Cut Baby's Fingernails?
Southern Mama 07:20 AM 12-06-2012
I've been keeping a 2 yr old for about a month. This week I got another 2 yr old and a 3 month old. The 3 month old is clawing the mess out of me. Would you cut her nails? Or should I mention it to mom at pickup? Or should I text her and ask if she minds? I feel confident in my trimming abilities but wasn't sure if I should even mention it. I don't want to offend mom. Thanks y'all!
DCMom 07:48 AM 12-06-2012
I check/trim kids nails on Monday after breakfast. I have for years, I jokingly refer to it as the Monday Morning Manicure. I don't even mention it to parents, but sadly I have only had a few parents even comment on how fingernails never seem to grow
Scout 07:51 AM 12-06-2012
I am bad at this as a parent I never seem to think about it until they claw me up! I would be afraid to cut them. Their fingers are just sooo tiny. I would mention it to mom at pick up. Personally, I would not be offended if it were me.
Hazel 08:29 AM 12-06-2012
I would NEVER cut a DC infant's nails! Too much liability! Older kid? Use an emery board, not clippers. I buy those infant mittens at the dollar store and use those in a pinch.
Just tell the parent at pick up that it needs to be done... Then check in the morning. If not done, hand mom clippers or emery board and ask her to please do it and tell her why it needs to be done NOW.
Just be cool about it.. Joke about how she scratched the heck out of you and you hate to see her draw blood.. Lol...
Most moms just forget.
AfterSchoolMom 08:53 AM 12-06-2012
I'd text her to see if it's ok. If she says no, then tell her at pickup that she needs to do it because you're concerned that the baby will claw herself. I have to cut my own 3 month old's nails about every four days, because they grow super fast and are razor sharp - he's drawn blood on his own face several times.
MarinaVanessa 09:28 AM 12-06-2012
I would mention it to parents first in passing "You know DCG keeps nicking me with her fingernails so if you don't mind I'm going to keep them trimmed" and leave it at that. If the y do mind then just require them to do it before they bring DCG. If she arrives with sharp nails you can hand the parent the clippers so that they can clip them before they go. If there's no time then just tell them that you'll have to do it then, oh well .

I clip my DC kids nails on Monday too . None of my DCP have an issue about it and I never ask for permission but I do let them know that I do it. I may have to steal your title for it DCMom. "Monday Manicure" sounds good to me. Love it!!
MNMum 11:32 AM 12-06-2012
I am a RN in the NICU at a large hospital. The one thing we are not allowed to do to our little patients is trim their fingernails. I can poke them with a needle, do any other "activity of daily living" for them, just not the nails. Parents have to do it if they need it (this would be for our big babies!) I'm sure someone sued some hospital and it became policy because of the liability.

I would get permission first! And try with an emory board rather than clippers.
Unregistered 11:45 AM 12-06-2012
I watched a 2 month old when mom went to OB follow up. Dad told me to keep the mittens on and not to cut the nails. Seems in his culture cutting nails before 6 months gives baby poor eye sight. We are of same race. I never heard of this but didn't question him. One month later saw the couple and they said the church daycare worker removed the mittens, wiped down baby's hand, saw long nails and cut them. They forgot to tell the church daycare as they were only leaving baby there during service. The couple were very upset and really believe if their child needs glasses it was daycare workers fault. Actually, thinking about getting legal advice. So... you never know. I would put mittens/socks on hands and ask mom to cut the nails at home.
Lilbutterflie 12:17 PM 12-06-2012
I do not personally do it. I mention to parents if it becomes an issue.

Funny (or not so funny?) story about daycare providers trimming nails:

My SIL used to be a daycare provider and she did a weekly check of the kids and clipped their nails if they needed it. She never once mentioned it to the parents. One day; little Johnny came in with his mom, and as his mom was leaving she said "Oh, by the way. I noticed little Johnny's nails are getting long. It must have been a while since you trimmed them. You mind taking care of that today, please?"

Let's just say that mom got an earful about taking care of her own son's hygiene from that moment on!!
Southern Mama 12:20 PM 12-06-2012
Thanks everybody! I went ahead and mentioned it because Mom picked up early today and she said she would do it tonight. But she did say she wouldn't mind if I ever wanted to. So at least now I know.
Unregistered 07:26 PM 12-08-2018
DO NOT cut it yourself without permission. Using the same clippers on different children without sanitizing them in completely unsanitary. Another baby could have bleed on them and theres lots of bacteria under nails. I'm not saying you do use them on different kids but if the mother notices the nails are clipped, shes going to wonder who else theyve been used on, if they're sanitary or not, and if you do happen to accidentally cut the baby, she will be pissed. Either way, you can get in trouble because you cant prove you didnt use those clippers on anyone else. Ask the mother or better yet just mention it to her and have her do it.
coloradoprovider 07:59 PM 12-08-2018
Originally Posted by Hazel:
I would NEVER cut a DC infant's nails! Too much liability! Older kid? Use an emery board, not clippers. I buy those infant mittens at the dollar store and use those in a pinch.
Just tell the parent at pick up that it needs to be done... Then check in the morning. If not done, hand mom clippers or emery board and ask her to please do it and tell her why it needs to be done NOW.
Just be cool about it.. Joke about how she scratched the heck out of you and you hate to see her draw blood.. Lol...
Most moms just forget.
I agree. Emery board - let parent take care of it.
lovemykidstoo 08:22 PM 12-08-2018
I would not do it. I clipped my sons nails when he was little and accidently cut his finger because he moved. I felt horrible. Made my husband do it after that. I would not want that liability. Just mention it to the parents. Really that is their job.
knoxmomof2 01:12 AM 12-09-2018
Yeah, I don't do things the parents should be doing. They start to depend on it and then you have 5 additional things they expect of you rather than them just taking responsibility. I think it just encourages the lazy parent mindset.

I would just say something to the effect that Suzy's nails drew blood today and they will want to take a look at them. I have a 3 year old that comes most mornings with snarled hair, sometimes buttons on his clothes undone and the other day I noticed his nails were super long when I had to clean him up after painting. After nap, I'll do his buttons and hair (with a comb I provided) because I'm sending him home in a presentable state, but I'm not doing it on the parent's watch. I wondered why they didn't just get him a buzz cut until I saw something on Facebook from Mom about how they "just can't part with his curls". Well then brush your kid's hair because his "curls" are nasty
Tags:2 year old, 2012, cutting nails, finger nail
Reply Up