Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Illegal Craft?
MsLaura529 10:31 AM 05-24-2013
So, I was doing some internet searching for getting craft ideas, and I came across the cute and classic caterpillar egg carton project. There were a lot of comments on it, so I figured I would take a look and see what everyone was talking about. Most of them were "love this" and such, and one caught my attention. It was a Child Care Consultant from NC, reminding daycare providers that using egg cartons as a craft is not allowed, as it poses a risk for salmonella. Has anyone ever heard of this? I have a whole collection of egg cartons just waiting to be used. For paint cups, sorting trays, and other crafts.
Blackcat31 10:35 AM 05-24-2013
Originally Posted by MsLaura529:
So, I was doing some internet searching for getting craft ideas, and I came across the cute and classic caterpillar egg carton project. There were a lot of comments on it, so I figured I would take a look and see what everyone was talking about. Most of them were "love this" and such, and one caught my attention. It was a Child Care Consultant from NC, reminding daycare providers that using egg cartons as a craft is not allowed, as it poses a risk for salmonella. Has anyone ever heard of this? I have a whole collection of egg cartons just waiting to be used. For paint cups, sorting trays, and other crafts.
Yes, I have heard this before.

Some centers have some really odd licensing rules.

I use egg cartons and haven't had an issue with them.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 10:35 AM 05-24-2013
See I have often wondered this! I do very few and I spray them with Lysol a couple of days ahead of time.
Unregistered 10:36 AM 05-24-2013
Never heard of it. I have a huge stash of them for crafts & activities.
MsLaura529 10:38 AM 05-24-2013
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
See I have often wondered this! I do very few and I spray them with Lysol a couple of days ahead of time.
Maybe I'll wipe them out with a Clorox wipe before I stash them away. I just love how they're perfect for little paint cups and such. I'd be bummed to have to get rid of them now.
Luna 10:46 AM 05-24-2013
I wash plastic ones in hot soapy water. I hadn't given the cardboard ones much thought, but I would think a couple of minutes in the microwave should take care of it.
On a side note, I was saving a bunch of closed egg cartons in boxes. I did it for years. One day the light bulb came on and I realized it would be a more efficient use of space to OPEN THEM UP and stack them. Sometimes I think my elevator doesn't go all the way to the top.
Hunni Bee 10:49 AM 05-24-2013
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
I have an upcoming lesson plan about using recycled materials, and egg cartons are definitely on the menu. I'll do this - thanks for the idea.
itlw8 11:12 AM 05-24-2013
We used to use meat trays after washing them years ago for cub scout projects they told us that it was not safe E coli could not be washed off of them if any scratch no matter how small. Same with salmonella you need to find a source of new ones if you want to use them with children.

spraying with Lysol will not kill it because it could soak into the cardboard and really you can not use Lysol on things children handle.... floors are fine but it contains pine tar that causes cancer .
CedarCreek 11:22 AM 05-24-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
We used to use meat trays after washing them years ago for cub scout projects they told us that it was not safe E coli could not be washed off of them if any scratch no matter how small. Same with salmonella you need to find a source of new ones if you want to use them with children.

spraying with Lysol will not kill it because it could soak into the cardboard and really you can not use Lysol on things children handle.... floors are fine but it contains pine tar that causes cancer .
I have never heard not to use Lysol.

Where is this info on that?
itlw8 11:37 AM 05-24-2013
hmmmm not sure We were taught that in a class by the health dept years ago. I believe it might even say on the bottle not to use on food prep surfaces meaning anything mouthable... maybe search for hazards of pine tar?
LK5kids 11:46 AM 05-24-2013
I heard about it a few years ago. I haven't used an egg carton for a craft since. There may come a time when I do though.
itlw8 11:47 AM 05-24-2013
I did a search and really came up with nothing concrete to back up what he said that day. so was it his opinion or did he have research to back it up. not sure.
itlw8 11:49 AM 05-24-2013
Have your kids wash after using them and they should be fine. they do not put them in their mouths. We let them crack an egg sometimes I think we are too careful just use sense and wash afterwards
daycaremum 12:36 PM 05-24-2013
Yes, I heard this many years ago, but I think it was the salmonella thing and egg allergies.
I use them.
Some centres also have policies against using food stuffs for sensory or crafts as it promotes being wasteful with food instead of using it for nourishment in an age when many children go hungry.
Hunni Bee 03:55 PM 05-24-2013
Originally Posted by daycaremum:
Yes, I heard this many years ago, but I think it was the salmonella thing and egg allergies.
I use them.
Some centres also have policies against using food stuffs for sensory or crafts as it promotes being wasteful with food instead of using it for nourishment in an age when many children go hungry.
Yeah, our CCR&R was against that...they said we couldn't use rice, beans, etc in our sensory tables. Which was a shame to me because rice is the best in my opinion. But I understand their angle.
CedarCreek 03:58 PM 05-24-2013
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
Yeah, our CCR&R was against that...they said we couldn't use rice, beans, etc in our sensory tables. Which was a shame to me because rice is the best in my opinion. But I understand their angle.
Uh oh..I use rice and beans in our sensory center.
Hunni Bee 04:04 PM 05-24-2013
Originally Posted by CedarCreek:
I don't agree with their opinion of that, but I understand it. That said, I fully intend to use natural products in my sensory tables (in my home) including some food items.

I feel that opinion is an adult interpretation and not really how a child would view it. But that's just MY opinion
MrsSteinel'sHouse 05:07 PM 05-24-2013
Lysol, I am talking spray. Your referring to the old Lysol in a bottle. You could spray the cardboard ones lightly with bleach water. The cardboard will dry.
jokalima 07:38 AM 05-25-2013
When I worked a DCC they would not let us use them, so that stuck in my head and I don't use them here at home unless they are the plastic ones that I can wash before they use them.
Kaddidle Care 08:19 AM 05-25-2013
How about spraying them with clear spray paint to seal them?
Cradle2crayons 08:31 AM 05-25-2013
If salmonella is the concern it would be Bo different than having a pet iguana or something of the sort.

Common sense just wash their hands really good afterwards and don't let them chew on the egg cartons.

Too much paranoia and we'd just lock them in a bubble all day.
Blackcat31 08:41 AM 05-25-2013
Originally Posted by CedarCreek:
Dry kidney beans can be toxic to kids.

http://www.notimeforflashcards.com/2...ory-tub-2.html

http://www.foodreference.com/html/ar...poisoning.html

Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
If salmonella is the concern it would be Bo different than having a pet iguana or something of the sort.

Common sense just wash their hands really good afterwards and don't let them chew on the egg cartons.

Too much paranoia and we'd just lock them in a bubble all day.
My state does NOT allow any pets that can transmit salmonella to the kids.

So no turtles or iguanas here.

I also don't believe any of these weird or odd rules have to do with paranoia. It has more to do with liability and the fact that people sue you for breathing wrong now days.

I am not in the least bit paranoid about anything but I sure am worried about someone suing me so that is a huge influence in my choices and policies in how I run my program.
pandamom 10:21 AM 05-25-2013
I work in a center and we're not allowed to use egg cartons. Or the cardboard toilet paper rolls. We're also not allowed to have classroom pets that can transmit salmonella (turtles, lizards, etc)
e.j. 11:12 AM 05-25-2013
I've never used egg cartons for crafts because I had heard there was a risk of salmonella, too. I just did a search, though, and there are sights where you can buy new, unused cartons. It's pricier than just using the used cartons but I thought I'd throw it out there in case someone really wants to do egg carton crafts with their kids without the worry of getting them sick or being cited for not following state regs: http://www.randallburkey.com/Paper-E.../products/363/ or http://www.eggcartonsonline.com/?gcl...FVGf4AodM2UADA
Cradle2crayons 08:13 AM 05-26-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Dry kidney beans can be toxic to kids.

http://www.notimeforflashcards.com/2...ory-tub-2.html

http://www.foodreference.com/html/ar...poisoning.html

My state does NOT allow any pets that can transmit salmonella to the kids.

So no turtles or iguanas here.

I also don't believe any of these weird or odd rules have to do with paranoia. It has more to do with liability and the fact that people sue you for breathing wrong now days.

I am not in the least bit paranoid about anything but I sure am worried about someone suing me so that is a huge influence in my choices and policies in how I run my program.

First of all, other than the centers I've not see anyone SAY that their state regs said they couldn't use egg cartons so I'm unsure why you are acting like I said don't follow regulations??
Blackcat31 09:13 AM 05-26-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
First of all, other than the centers I've not see anyone SAY that their state regs said they couldn't use egg cartons so I'm unsure why you are acting like I said don't follow regulations??
????? I never even mentioned egg cartons in my post.

I am not implying that YOU do anything?

I stated MY beliefs in regards to MY program.

Not really sure why you think everything I say is a personal attack on you...

this is similar to another thread where you did the same thing and another poster questioned you too?

I am NOT directing anything towards YOU personally.

sheesh....

I simply made a PERSONAL comment or PERSONAL opinion about kids living in a bubble and why I PERSONALLY follow certain guidelines...
Michael 01:48 PM 05-26-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I agree with you. I am always thinking about if I need to an some kind of umbrella coverage to my policy. Having a big birthday party next month and I am considering extra insurance in case someone gets in an accident on the way home and blames me for offering beverages at the party. Its the world we live in now.
Tags:liability, salmonella
Reply Up