Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Big Is Your In Home Day Care?
rhondawarren 09:56 AM 09-24-2013
Hi Everyone,

We are actually in the process of building a new house! In the house I included a Day Care room with its own entry door. I am trying to find out how big everyone's rooms are so that I know mine should be enough space My husband and I designed it
DCMom 10:19 AM 09-24-2013
You can never have enough space

When we built our house 20+ years ago, I had the daycare in mind. I have about 900 square feet of dedicated space. The playroom is about 20 x 20 in addition to a kitchen/dining/entry area that is about 10 x 20, 3/4 bathroom, a 10 x 10 locked utility/furnace room (freezer, cleaning supplies, paper products, seasonal storage) etc. and and a 10 x 12 bedroom, that I actually use as a nap room and office. Walkout door to the backyard and a separate sidewalk/stairs to that door from the front of the house. The daycare is completely self contained.

Congrats on your new house, its so nice to plan from scratch!
rhondawarren 10:25 AM 09-24-2013
We built mine to be 22ft long and about 11ft wide. In addition to that it also has a built in bathroom. This way my daycare kids would have a bathroom. It will also have a mini fridge so I can plan ahead snacks and drinks. As well as its own entry way into our house. So it'll have its own daycare door
melilley 10:29 AM 09-24-2013
Lucky! I have my living room as my main daycare space and it's dedicated to daycare. I use my sons room for the nap and changing room. My living room, dining room, kitchen, and bathrooms are used for the daycare as well, so basically I use just about my whole house.l At least my front door is the entrance to the playroom!
I would give anything to be able to design my house with dedicated daycare space! You're one lucky lady!
blandino 10:31 AM 09-24-2013
We bought our current house with the daycare in mind. We have a large sunroom addition on the back of the house which is 700 sq feet, and has it's own entrance. The master bedroom adjoins the addition, and we use that as the infant room, which is probably another 400 square feet.
Texasjeepgirl 10:32 AM 09-24-2013
TEXAS Child Care Licensing Minimum Standard requires that Registered or LICENSED Home Daycares have 30 sq ft of USABLE space per child we are licensed for .. (Maximum is 12) so 360 sq ft.

I'm a Licensed Home..
My room is 34 ft x 22 ft. = 748 ft.. not including the bathroom and kitchen area that are connected

Rockgirl 10:41 AM 09-24-2013
We converted our oversized two car garage into the daycare room. It doesn't have its own entrance, since it was a rear entry garage....I doubt my neighbors would be thrilled about having the alley conjested every morning & evening. It does have a door right into the backyard, so that's nice.
rhondawarren 10:45 AM 09-24-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
Lucky! I have my living room as my main daycare space and it's dedicated to daycare. I use my sons room for the nap and changing room. My living room, dining room, kitchen, and bathrooms are used for the daycare as well, so basically I use just about my whole house.l At least my front door is the entrance to the playroom!
I would give anything to be able to design my house with dedicated daycare space! You're one lucky lady!

We were living in a beautiful large house but I still had no specific place for providing childcare. I used my living room, a spare room for napping and my home kitchen, bathroom etc. It worked out fine but ... we made the decision to move and built a home. So ... I made sure I put all of this into my plans when building I am pretty excited to decorate it for my future day care kids and since I had already been providing childcare I kind of knew how I wanted it to make it convenient and to give my day care kids everything they needed. I am super excited. I will be sure to post pics when its done! Our home is framed so ... the rooms is actually up with walls. We are just doing our plumbing and electric now so that we can then get into the fun stuff like drywall an paint
melilley 10:50 AM 09-24-2013
Originally Posted by rhondawarren:
We were living in a beautiful large house but I still had no specific place for providing childcare. I used my living room, a spare room for napping and my home kitchen, bathroom etc. It worked out fine but ... we made the decision to move and built a home. So ... I made sure I put all of this into my plans when building I am pretty excited to decorate it for my future day care kids and since I had already been providing childcare I kind of knew how I wanted it to make it convenient and to give my day care kids everything they needed. I am super excited. I will be sure to post pics when its done! Our home is framed so ... the rooms is actually up with walls. We are just doing our plumbing and electric now so that we can then get into the fun stuff like drywall an paint
How exciting! Definitely post pics! I love seeing other member's spaces!
jenboo 11:44 AM 09-24-2013
I am using my family room as the daycare room (210 sq ft). Its small but meets requirements. Its attached to the kitchen (separated by a 12ft long baby gate). Because its attached to the kitchen, it doesn't look as small. There are two windows and a big sliding glass door that leads to the side patio (parents entrance). The kids use the guest bathroom. One of my spare rooms is dedicated to the nap room.
Leigh 01:15 PM 09-24-2013
Originally Posted by rhondawarren:
We built mine to be 22ft long and about 11ft wide. In addition to that it also has a built in bathroom. This way my daycare kids would have a bathroom. It will also have a mini fridge so I can plan ahead snacks and drinks. As well as its own entry way into our house. So it'll have its own daycare door
I would add a kitchenette and space for feeding tables and restaurant style booths, if I had the luxury. And, I'd be sure that the toilet and vanity in the daycare restroom were toddler/preschool sized-it would make potty training and hand washing much easier.

Thanks for starting this thread...now I will spend the rest of the day dreaming about "if I could start over"!
rhondawarren 04:12 AM 09-25-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
How exciting! Definitely post pics! I love seeing other member's spaces!
I definitely will! We are getting electric, plumbing and all that done. Then we can start the fun stuff like drywall, color and organizing!!
rhondawarren 04:14 AM 09-25-2013
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I would add a kitchenette and space for feeding tables and restaurant style booths, if I had the luxury. And, I'd be sure that the toilet and vanity in the daycare restroom were toddler/preschool sized-it would make potty training and hand washing much easier.

Thanks for starting this thread...now I will spend the rest of the day dreaming about "if I could start over"!
You're welcome! I "dreamed" about this place for a long time. We took a huge leap leaving our old home and living first in a camper then into my moms house while we build. So now ... we are living at my moms and have been for months while we work on the house. Cannot wait until it is done!!

I will have a frig, tables and things like that in there as well
LeslieG 06:17 AM 09-25-2013
I use just about my whole living space for daycare. We live in a two bedroom 1200sqft town home. Daycare is in our kitchen/living room and the bedrooms are used for nap time if I have to separate kids. Right now I only have 3 kids (I've had 4 in the past) and it can get crowded.
Meeko 09:33 AM 09-25-2013
My daycare is 1500 sq ft and is in my basement with a separate entrance. I wish I had a kitchen down there too, but the stairs go straight up into the kitchen, so it's not too bad.
Tags:daycare room, layout
Reply Up