Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Trying To Gain Some Perspective...
Unregistered 08:51 AM 10-13-2013
I have been working in my current child care position as a toddler teacher for a little over two months. I started my job around the same time as my co-teacher, so we were really struggling to get established, but we did, finally. Last week, she was moved to be the assistant in the pre-school program, and I have a new co-teacher. So, here I am, in this new-to-me position (2 mos. in) trying to keep my 12 toddlers who range from 12 months to 3 years in a cohesive group while trying to train a new co-teacher who has almost zero experience with toddlers. Our supervisor hadn't checked in to see how we were doing all week, so Friday I asked her for some support. She came in to help us transition between lunch and nap.

Also, we are expected to potty train children by chauffeuring them to the pre-school room every hour or two because our classroom doesn't have a toilet!!!! Please tell me I'm not being unreasonable in thinking that this is a ridiculous method of toilet training.

--

It has been my perception that toddler programs are often pooped on in terms of fairness. Our center's infant program can only hold four infants, so children who learn to walk early get moved up before they are cognitively ready. Children at 12 months of age need a lot more one-on-one, rest, and small group time than I am able to carve out for them, and it isn't fair to ask the child to adapt to a schedule that they are not physically and mentally ready for.

I love children, but I feel that I have no time to express that love because I am struggling to manage so many things at one time, between behavioral problems, training a new person, and just the age range of kids I have to deal with on a daily basis. I still feel like maybe I am simply not good at this job and it isn't worth it to feel like something I should enjoy is stealing my soul.

Can someone please help me to adjust my thinking? Am I really falling short, or am I being too hard on myself?
Cradle2crayons 09:19 AM 10-13-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have been working in my current child care position as a toddler teacher for a little over two months. I started my job around the same time as my co-teacher, so we were really struggling to get established, but we did, finally. Last week, she was moved to be the assistant in the pre-school program, and I have a new co-teacher. So, here I am, in this new-to-me position (2 mos. in) trying to keep my 12 toddlers who range from 12 months to 3 years in a cohesive group while trying to train a new co-teacher who has almost zero experience with toddlers. Our supervisor hadn't checked in to see how we were doing all week, so Friday I asked her for some support. She came in to help us transition between lunch and nap.

Also, we are expected to potty train children by chauffeuring them to the pre-school room every hour or two because our classroom doesn't have a toilet!!!! Please tell me I'm not being unreasonable in thinking that this is a ridiculous method of toilet training.

--

It has been my perception that toddler programs are often pooped on in terms of fairness. Our center's infant program can only hold four infants, so children who learn to walk early get moved up before they are cognitively ready. Children at 12 months of age need a lot more one-on-one, rest, and small group time than I am able to carve out for them, and it isn't fair to ask the child to adapt to a schedule that they are not physically and mentally ready for.

I love children, but I feel that I have no time to express that love because I am struggling to manage so many things at one time, between behavioral problems, training a new person, and just the age range of kids I have to deal with on a daily basis. I still feel like maybe I am simply not good at this job and it isn't worth it to feel like something I should enjoy is stealing my soul.

Can someone please help me to adjust my thinking? Am I really falling short, or am I being too hard on myself?
First, yes, you are being too hard on yourself.

It sounds to me that you are doing the best you can with what you have. You aren't being unrealistic. And personally I'd call licensing on them, anonymously of course, because a room with 3 year olds should have a toilet and its not realistic to be taking children to another room to the toilet. Doesn't that technically mess up ratios during that time also??

You can only do what you can do and it's not fair to be expecting more from yourself than what you are capable of doing. Take a breath. If your supervisor won't or isn't listening to your concerns, and rules are being violated, I'd report the center and maybe things will change.
se7en 09:57 AM 10-13-2013
You have children from 12 mos to 3 years in your room ? That is a very wide age range, and it sounds as though the center wants to save a lot of money by putting all those children in a room together. That is not fair to you or the children.
Do you think it will work out with your new co teacher if you each focus part of your day on a certain age group ? For instance, in the mornings you can care for the littlest who are under 2 and she can care for the older ones, then maybe you can switch responsibilities in the afternoon. That way neither of you are just changing diapers or taking the older ones to the potty all day long. Also, maybe you can apply to a few different pre schools or daycares around your area. I work in a center, and we have enough children so all different ages have their own room.I do switch between infants and one year olds for the most part, but at times I work in the other rooms also, mostly to give breaks. It really seems that your place of employment is skimping on workers.
Unregistered 12:42 PM 10-13-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
First, yes, you are being too hard on yourself.

It sounds to me that you are doing the best you can with what you have. You aren't being unrealistic. And personally I'd call licensing on them anon of course because a room with 3 year olds should have a toilet and its not realistic to be taking children to another room to the toilet. Doesn't that technically mess up ratios during that time also??

You can only do what you can do and it's not fair to be expecting more from yourself than what you are capable of doing. Take a breath. If your supervisor won't or isn't listening to your concerns, and rules are being violated, I'd report the center and maybe things will change.
It does technically mess up ratios. My supervisor has said that when we do potty time, we should take children who are not necessarily potty training to the pre-school room as well, to stay in ratio, and to get them familiar with the potty. My supervisor states that her goal is to get a toilet in our room, but hasn't said when she plans to do this. Our oldest child, currently, is about 28 months, but we do take children up to three years. I am nervous that we may get another 1 year-old as soon as she is able to walk so that there will be space for another infant in our infant program.

I am certain that I am going to in some way have to field the blame if I can't get a child "adequately potty-trained" in time for pre-school. I think I'm going to have to tighten our schedule even further in order to achieve the goal.

I don't want to report my center, as I know that my supervisor will be able to figure out that it was I. She only manages the six caregivers we have for the entire center.
Unregistered 02:00 PM 10-13-2013
Originally Posted by se7en:
You have children from 12 mos to 3 years in your room ? That is a very wide age range, and it sounds as though the center wants to save a lot of money by putting all those children in a room together. That is not fair to you or the children.
Do you think it will work out with your new co teacher if you each focus part of your day on a certain age group ? For instance, in the mornings you can care for the littlest who are under 2 and she can care for the older ones, then maybe you can switch responsibilities in the afternoon. That way neither of you are just changing diapers or taking the older ones to the potty all day long. Also, maybe you can apply to a few different pre schools or daycares around your area. I work in a center, and we have enough children so all different ages have their own room.I do switch between infants and one year olds for the most part, but at times I work in the other rooms also, mostly to give breaks. It really seems that your place of employment is skimping on workers.
We try to split up the group for short periods of time. Usually 9:30-10:30 is the most challenging time of day, and we try to split the group as much as possible during that time. I'll take the four or five youngest outside to the play yard while she takes the rest of the group to scheduled activities or makes an art project with them. The only problem with this is that it is difficult to find the time for art with the little ones, lol.
momofboys 04:18 PM 10-13-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
It does technically mess up ratios. My supervisor has said that when we do potty time, we should take children who are not necessarily potty training to the pre-school room as well, to stay in ratio, and to get them familiar with the potty. My supervisor states that her goal is to get a toilet in our room, but hasn't said when she plans to do this. Our oldest child, currently, is about 28 months, but we do take children up to three years. I am nervous that we may get another 1 year-old as soon as she is able to walk so that there will be space for another infant in our infant program.

I am certain that I am going to in some way have to field the blame if I can't get a child "adequately potty-trained" in time for pre-school. I think I'm going to have to tighten our schedule even further in order to achieve the goal.

I don't want to report my center, as I know that my supervisor will be able to figure out that it was I. She only manages the six caregivers we have for the entire center.

I am sorry you are having a difficult time. I don't have much experience with centers but am wondering why it isn't the parent's job to PT???
Tags:overwhelmed, reporting - daycare
Reply Up