Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Winter Frustration Already.. WWYD?
HOHDirector 09:54 AM 11-26-2013
Parents forgetting hats & gloves already and its only November. You can only post flyers and notes so many times. I obviously dont want to hold the kid back because the parent is lazy, but what would you do? I dont want to keep on supplying them with our glove/hat stash. That's only allowing the parent to continue to be lazy.

HELP
melilley 09:59 AM 11-26-2013
Ugh..I know! One of my dck's came without a coat and without one sock! It's 30 degrees here, colder with the wind chill! I don't get it.

Some providers on here turn kids away at the door and make them go home and get what they need. I so need to do this, just have to find my backbone and actually go through with doing that!
Blackcat31 10:00 AM 11-26-2013
I require parents to leave a set of gloves and a hat here at daycare NO LATER than Nov 1st.

Care is denied if they have not complied.

Simple fix.
Leanna 10:03 AM 11-26-2013
Personally I just supply because there are some families that will never supply for whatever reason (some can't afford, some forget, some don't think you wlll actually go outside, etc.). I just buy a batch and supply as needed. Less headache for me.

I do know that there are providers who will turn away clients if they do not arrive with proper gear for the day. That is an option for you if you don't want to supply.
Soccermom 10:04 AM 11-26-2013
Honestly the only thing you can do is have a hat, gloves, coats, snow pants, warm socks and big sweaters to put under their coats on hand.

I go to the dollar store at the beginning of the season and stock up on mittens, hats and warm socks.

I then get second hand (or for free if you ask around) a few different sized big sweaters to put under spring coats, snow pants and old coats. I keep them in a bin and dress the kids from there when need be.

(I haven't had to buy any for a year or so because I still have the stock from last year)

It is ridiculous that parents forget these things all the time! I had a DCG show up today with no hat, no gloves and a fancy church coat with rubber boots....it is snowing outside!! I can't stand to see a child freeze and it isn't fair to the other DCKS to be stuck inside because of one thoughtless parent.

I've been doing this for 10 years and have finally realized that you can't change the DCPS no matter how hard you try. You just need to do your best to care for the children while they are in your care.
Lucy 10:14 AM 11-26-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
Ugh..I know! One of my dck's came without a coat and without one sock! It's 30 degrees here, colder with the wind chill! I don't get it.

Some providers on here turn kids away at the door and make them go home and get what they need. I so need to do this, just have to find my backbone and actually go through with doing that!
Oh, you have the same girl I do!! LOL. Mine's 5. She wore her socks Monday, slept in them, one came off in bed, so she comes Tuesday with the ONE remaining (now dirty) sock. 26 degrees first thing in the morning - she got in the car with a blanket, and walked in with it wrapped around her, so no coat. How dumb can the parent be???
childcaremom 10:24 AM 11-26-2013
We go outside every day unless there is a windchill warning or tropical storm. I go over this very clearly during interviews and remind parents constantly through newsletters, daily reports, verbally, etc.

Parents were still forgetting so I have changed my policies that if a child does not have proper outdoor stuff (and I won't know this until I gather outdoor things at 9 am), I will call them and they can either drop off the needed items or pick their child up by 10 am when we go outside.

Haven't had a problem since. But never say never and I would not feel bad about calling for a pick up.
Lucy 10:35 AM 11-26-2013
I'm not getting why it's not just easy to have them use what you have on hand? Not being mean, just don't see the problem?

I have a few extras of various things - a couple t-shirts, one with long sleeves, a jacket and coat, a few pair of gloves, and a hat or two. These are things that have been left behind over my 20 years of DC. If we need to go somewhere and someone forgot their coat, I've got one on hand they can use.

I do think it's irresponsible and just plain dumb of parents to not have them prepared, but it's not hurting anybody to let them wear what I have in my closet. I get exasperated at the parents' stupidity, but hey, that's why I have backup clothes!

Yes, it allows the parents to be lazy, but at pickup when I tell them that little Bobby wore my pink Hello Kitty gloves and hat outside, they feel like a failure. Maybe they'll think twice next time. But really, I don't care. I'm not here to school the parents, I'm here to provide excellent care for the kids. If that means letting them borrow something that's sitting in my closet, I'm ok with that.... for the kid's sake. (It doesn't mean I'm not gonna call them a loser parent in my head as I put the hat & gloves on though!! LOL j/k... or not...)
Scout 10:35 AM 11-26-2013
Walmart here has gloves selling 2 pairs for $.87 and hats were about $1.19. I would just buy some to have on hand. I have a ton of extras just for my kids because I know someone will probably lose a glove.
Blackcat31 10:41 AM 11-26-2013
Originally Posted by Lucy:
I'm not getting why it's not just easy to have them use what you have on hand? Not being mean, just don't see the problem?
Because I have encountered parents who simply figured why bother buying winter gear when daycare will just supply it for me.

Because I have parents that RELY on me having "extras" so when I actually have a case of real forgetfulness, there isn't enough "extras" to go around.

Because I am NOT a storage facility

Because I don't have the room to be

Because then I bear all the responsibility of being a parent to a child that isn't mine.

Because it isn't that hard to provide the basic requirements for the weather.

Lucy 10:46 AM 11-26-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Because I have encountered parents who simply figured why bother buying winter gear when daycare will just supply it for me.

Because I have parents that RELY on me having "extras" so when I actually have a case of real forgetfulness, there isn't enough "extras" to go around.

Because then I bear all the responsibility of being a parent to a child that isn't mine.

Yea, I know. I get that. It comes back to what I've realized in my time as a forum member here.... I seem to do things "bass ackward" from everyone else here.

Blackcat31 10:49 AM 11-26-2013
Yea, I know. I get that. It comes back to what I've realized in my time as a forum member here.... I seem to do things "bass ackward" from everyone else here.

Hey, as long as we all make the journey, who cares how you get there.
DCMom 10:59 AM 11-26-2013

This.
I require a FULL SET of winter gear to be left here. Some buy an extra set and leave it here, some bring everything on Monday and take it home Friday, whatever system works for them. I rarely have kids that are missing outdoor gear. I keep extras on hand for the occasional oops, but the dcp's don't necessarily know that. The extras are for my convenience, not theirs.
Luna 11:03 AM 11-26-2013

I do it the way you do...I keep a stash of worn-out, holey, grubby-looking CLEAN, warm and mostly pink hats and mittens. Parents do many things that frustrate the heck out of me, but forgetting mittens isn't one of them. It's one thing I just don't let get to me.
Aaaaand I take lots of pictures for the newsletter!
itlw8 11:08 AM 11-26-2013
It is in the 40's today dcg said I forgot my mittens dad turned and said it is too cold you won't be going out... I said yes we will I have so mis matched mitten or old socks she can wear... time to send a new notice. We will be going out this winter.
HOHDirector 12:18 PM 11-26-2013

AGREED

Plus I really want to say to the DCPS when they drop off "Would you like to stand outside for 45min w/out gloves or a hat on when its 30 degrees outside?" I'm 100% positive their answer would be no.
Cradle2crayons 12:39 PM 11-26-2013
I had a mom once who didn't bring her child in a jacket or hat or anything but a short sleeve shirt and pants and flip flops on a freezing day.

Mom says "oh I'm sure miss Lynn has some you can wear to the zoo today"

Miss Lynn said "gosh, no, I'm sorry, you'll have to just go back home with mom. See you tomorrow dcg!!" Door shut.

I have some extras for real oopsies. But I'm not providing extras to a parent who just ASSUMES my work revolves around providing things for their child that hey CAN afford to provide. Now, I will say, if their mom can't afford a coat or hat, I'll go get the child a set for here and a set for home. There's a difference.
SilverSabre25 01:46 PM 11-26-2013
I have now given up (for this year anyway) and am providing winter stuff. I had a ton anyway. Snowsuit for the baby, snowsuit for the 18 mo, basic mittens, hat, and pink snowpants for the 4. 5yo. I'm just not fighting it this year.

Part of the problem for me here in central OH is the climate is unpredictable. Some winters we get almost no snow, sometimes we get tons. sometimes it's so cold for months on end that no one can go out to play, and sometimes it barely drops below freezing even in the middle of january.

So parents resist buying the stuff because "it might not be needed". Especially the parents I seem to serve.

So I'm keeping everything that my own kids have accumulated, throwing it in one mammoth storage box that I recently emptied, and storing it in the storage area which also recently got mostly emptied. Not a big deal for me.

I'm not necessarily providing boots or heavy coats though. Maybe, if I have spare in a close enough size. Nor am I buying the expensive $10 waterproof, fleece lined mittens and gloves my own kids get, or the nice warm $10 hats. it's $1 stuff or leftovers from previous sizes of my kids. Is that mean? I don't think so. it's not rocket science that if there is snow on the ground you should be sending your child to care with all the right gear.
Angelsj 03:09 PM 11-26-2013

I have a few extras of various things - a couple t-shirts, one with long sleeves, a jacket and coat, a few pair of gloves, and a hat or two. These are things that have been left behind over my 20 years of DC. If we need to go somewhere and someone forgot their coat, I've got one on hand they can use.

I do think it's irresponsible and just plain dumb of parents to not have them prepared, but it's not hurting anybody to let them wear what I have in my closet. I get exasperated at the parents' stupidity, but hey, that's why I have backup clothes!

Yes, it allows the parents to be lazy, but at pickup when I tell them that little Bobby wore my pink Hello Kitty gloves and hat outside, they feel like a failure. Maybe they'll think twice next time. But really, I don't care. I'm not here to school the parents, I'm here to provide excellent care for the kids. If that means letting them borrow something that's sitting in my closet, I'm ok with that.... for the kid's sake. (It doesn't mean I'm not gonna call them a loser parent in my head as I put the hat & gloves on though!! LOL j/k... or not...)
It just isn't worth my effort to argue. Some things bug me, but this isn't one of them. And I do have parents that donate stuff their kids have outgrown for the younger ones. It all works out.
Angelsj 03:12 PM 11-26-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
It is in the 40's today dcg said I forgot my mittens dad turned and said it is too cold you won't be going out... I said yes we will I have so mis matched mitten or old socks she can wear... time to send a new notice. We will be going out this winter.
I have one of those. Now THAT drives me insane. Don't tell your kid what we are doing today without checking with me and YES we are going out, unless *I* or regulations say it is too cold!!! Ugh
And btw, the passive aggressive comments about how cold it is when you pick your kid up are going to end up getting you fired day care parent!!!
Unregistered 04:19 PM 11-26-2013
Originally Posted by HOHDirector:
Parents forgetting hats & gloves already and its only November. You can only post flyers and notes so many times. I obviously dont want to hold the kid back because the parent is lazy, but what would you do? I dont want to keep on supplying them with our glove/hat stash. That's only allowing the parent to continue to be lazy.

HELP
I would have each parent buy a back up set for your home. Do not LET THEM TAKE SAID BACKUP SET no matter what. Even if it's -10 out, they brought the kid in that condition, they can take the kid home that way. Maybe they will learn not to forget next time when you tell them "Oh, no I'm sorry they can't take these home" MOM WHINING: But it's cold! You: "But it was ALSO just as cold, mom, this morning, when you didn't have hat/gloves for Jane"
Unregistered 06:02 PM 11-26-2013
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
I have one of those. Now THAT drives me insane. Don't tell your kid what we are doing today without checking with me and YES we are going out, unless *I* or regulations say it is too cold!!! Ugh
And btw, the passive aggressive comments about how cold it is when you pick your kid up are going to end up getting you fired day care parent!!!
I have noticed that a few times some people have mentioned " firing" a parent or a family. I know what they mean, but I find the use of that word very interesting.
As far as winter gear goes, some parents just don`t go outside with the kids , so they don't buy that stuff. Heavy coats are hard for kids in car seats,it is recommended that they just wear sweaters when riding in the car seat. But, I always brought a coat and gloves along too, because you never know.
Josiegirl 03:21 AM 11-27-2013
I've told all the dcps we HAVE to go outside every single day because I have to take the dogs out. At least for 5 minutes. Unless they would rather I leave all their kids in the house while I go by myself.
I do have extra mittens and hats but that's it. They keep extra clothes here so if someone gets wet, etc., they have something to change into.
melskids 07:16 AM 11-27-2013
I have a whole dresser full of winter gear. I even went and bought fancy waterproof gloves with the snow sleeves that go up the arm because I was tired of the crappy knit mittens that they soak through in 2 minutes.

I gave up on trying to prove my point to parents. I have bigger mountains to climb, and I do it simply because the kids deserve to be warm and dry.
Laurel 09:06 AM 11-27-2013
Since there are so many threads like this I've been thinking about it.

I don't live in a cold climate so I keep extras but like someone else said, they're not pretty and I don't send them home....ever.

Why not do like Blackcat said and ask them to bring a complete set. Then say, for those who don't bring them by such and such date I will provide them at $X amount of dollars which will be charged to your tuition bill. Then I would list what they will receive and make them good quality. I wonder if that would work.

Laurel
christine19720 09:42 AM 11-27-2013
A few parents here also refused to bring their kids warm winter coats, gloves, even shoes. So...I went to the thrift store or yard sales and picked up coats, shoes, socks, hats and gloves. The coats, hats are not stylish, or pretty items but useful and allowed me to go on with my day as planned. I was tired of the parents having that kind of power over me, so I just took back control. I have an old duffle bag I keep all this stuff in so it doesn't take up too much space. Win/win for all of us!
jenn 12:48 PM 11-27-2013
Each child has gloves and a hat that stay here at all times.

I request them in the fall and give them a cut off date to provide them. If they don't have them by the cutoff, I charge them $10 and buy them. I know it does not cost $10 to buy those items, but I charge for my time.

I store them in their cubby with their extra clothes, so they don't take up space.

If they come in the morning with gloves and hat like they should, great, that's what they wear. If they come without them, they use their extras and then put them back in their cubby at the end of the day. I do not allow them to take the extras home.
Angelsj 05:03 PM 11-27-2013
Originally Posted by Laurel:
Since there are so many threads like this I've been thinking about it.

I don't live in a cold climate so I keep extras but like someone else said, they're not pretty and I don't send them home....ever.

Why not do like Blackcat said and ask them to bring a complete set. Then say, for those who don't bring them by such and such date I will provide them at $X amount of dollars which will be charged to your tuition bill. Then I would list what they will receive and make them good quality. I wonder if that would work.

Laurel
I have. Over and over and over...it just isn't a hill I am willing to die on. And honestly, I like to have multiples of certain kinds. Either they bring difficult to put on, keep on, get wet, too thin, too heavy, etc, etc....
To each their own. You have to do what works for you. This is just what works for me.
jessrlee 05:56 PM 11-27-2013
I ask each parent to provide 1 hat and 2 sets of mittens. I keep them at the end of the year and have a big bin we take from. then I just chuck it all in the wash at the end of the day.
Tags:frustration, gloves, hats, winter
Reply Up