Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Any Ideas On How To Adjust...
jenboo 08:41 AM 04-21-2014
...my daily schedule for summer??

We are hitting 90s this week and im starting to get worried about summer. I want to get the kids outside each day but im not sure its going to be possible. I am estimating that in a month or two we will be in the 90s by 10am most days.

my problem is that if we do not get outside in the morning, then we cant go out for the day. Im worried because my daycare room is small and the kids will be bouncing off the walls after two days of being inside.

Here is my basic schedule:
8:15- breakfast
9:00-11:00- inside time/circle time/INFANT NAPPING
11:00-11:45- outside time
12:00-12:15- inside
12:15- Lunch
1:00-3:00- Nap
3:30- snack
4:00-5:00- outside
5:00-5:30- inside/ clean up

The infant napping in the morning is what is messing me up. She is only 4 months old and very scheduled so i do not want to change her nap time. She needs those two hours at that time so that she will nap again from 1-3. I think it will be way to hot to go outside at 11am even though we will have water play everyday and we have shade. I cant imagine taking the baby out in that heat.

Anyone see something that i dont? any ideas on how to get the children outside. I am licensed so I cannot be outside while the infant is napping.
NeedaVaca 08:47 AM 04-21-2014
Could you go outside with a video monitor?
jenboo 08:59 AM 04-21-2014
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
Could you go outside with a video monitor?
I believe licensing said no but I will call again and ask...I was also going to ask if I had the infant by the sliding glass door if that would count. while we are outside, the infant would still be within sight and sound which is the requirement... but i dont know if licensing would go for that...
childcaremom 10:39 AM 04-21-2014
Could you eat your breakfast outside? And then have a bit of outdoor time afterwards until infant naps?

Will her schedule change at all over the next few months?

Could she nap outside in a pnp? Is she a heavy sleeper?
misslori50 10:42 AM 04-21-2014
nap in a stroller
NeedaVaca 10:49 AM 04-21-2014
Originally Posted by misslori50:
nap in a stroller
That would not be safe!
cheerfuldom 11:01 AM 04-21-2014
I would not keep an infant unless I could get the napping worked out. I believe a stroller would be safe if you sat next to the stroller to watch her and she was fully reclined flat in the seat (I have a stroller that will do that!). You could also bring out a rock and play that reclines flat or even a moses basket or something similar. It just depends on if she will sleep for you. I would have breakfast and go outside immediately afterwards!
SignMeUp 11:07 AM 04-21-2014
In many states, we are not allowed to sleep an infant anywhere other than an approved crib.
No moses basket or bassinet, no stroller or swing, etc.
Annalee 11:11 AM 04-21-2014
Originally Posted by jenboo:
...my daily schedule for summer??

We are hitting 90s this week and im starting to get worried about summer. I want to get the kids outside each day but im not sure its going to be possible. I am estimating that in a month or two we will be in the 90s by 10am most days.

my problem is that if we do not get outside in the morning, then we cant go out for the day. Im worried because my daycare room is small and the kids will be bouncing off the walls after two days of being inside.

Here is my basic schedule:
8:15- breakfast
9:00-11:00- inside time/circle time/INFANT NAPPING
11:00-11:45- outside time
12:00-12:15- inside
12:15- Lunch
1:00-3:00- Nap
3:30- snack
4:00-5:00- outside
5:00-5:30- inside/ clean up

The infant napping in the morning is what is messing me up. She is only 4 months old and very scheduled so i do not want to change her nap time. She needs those two hours at that time so that she will nap again from 1-3. I think it will be way to hot to go outside at 11am even though we will have water play everyday and we have shade. I cant imagine taking the baby out in that heat.

Anyone see something that i dont? any ideas on how to get the children outside. I am licensed so I cannot be outside while the infant is napping.
What if you did breakfast at 7:45 to 8:15 and went outside from 8:30 to 9:30 and then the infant could nap from 9:30 to 11:00 only cutting back 30 minutes of the nap???? just some thoughts... Good Luck!
cheerfuldom 11:53 AM 04-21-2014
Originally Posted by Annalee:
What if you did breakfast at 7:45 to 8:15 and went outside from 8:30 to 9:30 and then the infant could nap from 9:30 to 11:00 only cutting back 30 minutes of the nap???? just some thoughts... Good Luck!
another good idea. cutting the babys nap down or moving breakfast. Also moving to fast breakfasts with little clean up, at least for the summer
Jack Sprat 11:59 AM 04-21-2014
Originally Posted by SignMeUp:
In many states, we are not allowed to sleep an infant anywhere other than an approved crib.
No moses basket or bassinet, no stroller or swing, etc.
This is the reg. in our state. I am thinking I will move a pnp outside for the newborn. Could you try that as well?
SignMeUp 12:11 PM 04-21-2014
Originally Posted by Jack Sprat:
This is the reg. in our state. I am thinking I will move a pnp outside for the newborn. Could you try that as well?
Yes, that's what I do. Cabana for shade and a pnp. (It must have been a different thread where I commented that ) I don't have the heat to deal with that the OP has though.
preschoolteacher 12:19 PM 04-21-2014
Be outside for drop offs. Parents drop kids off outside with you where you are waiting. Eat breakfast outside! We do lots of meals outdoors.

I'd try to nap baby outside in a PNP in the shade, too.
SilverSabre25 12:33 PM 04-21-2014
Baby nap outside in pack n play. Babies nap wonderfully outside!
jenboo 12:41 PM 04-21-2014
Originally Posted by Jack Sprat:
Do you think 85-90+ degree weather even in shade is too hot for a 4-7 month old to sleep outside?
kitykids3 12:48 PM 04-21-2014
Originally Posted by preschoolteacher:
Be outside for drop offs. Parents drop kids off outside with you where you are waiting. Eat breakfast outside! We do lots of meals outdoors.

This is what I would say. I do this in the summer when it's hot, I have their outside time in the very early AM during dropoffs and then we all go inside when it gets too warm and then if it's cool enough we go outside during pick up times so we're not in the unsafe hotter times of the day.
DaisyMamma 04:13 AM 04-22-2014
I would greet kids outside and stay out through breakfast (have it with you) and until 9 or 9:15/9:30 if you can push nap back a bit.
nothingwithoutjoy 04:16 AM 04-22-2014
Originally Posted by preschoolteacher:

That's exactly what I was going to suggest.

When I had babies, they always had their morning nap when we were outside. I swear they slept better that way, and it meant the bigger kids didn't have to shorten their schedule because of baby naps.
Blackcat31 07:19 AM 04-22-2014
Originally Posted by jenboo:
Do you think 85-90+ degree weather even in shade is too hot for a 4-7 month old to sleep outside?
I have a little battery operated fan that clips onto the side of the cabana. I keep cool air circulating inside the cabana but not directly at the infant.

Similar to this

Tags:schedule, summer schedule
Reply Up