Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Want To Term Family
melissa ann 06:55 AM 02-22-2012
I took in a family with 3 kids back in Dec. 2 are SA and the other is 3yr old. I extended my hours for them from 5pm to 5:45. At the time, I lost a family with 2 kids. The 2 SA girls are friends of my dd. One has been in her class in kindy and now in 1st and they do Girl Scouts together. These kids are absolutely horrible. The hour before school I am exhausted. The girls nit pick each other, argue over who is going to play with my dd. which is upsetting to my dd. She pretty much doesn't bother with them at home because of it.
The kids have broken more toys since they've been here then in the 4 yrs I have been doing childcare,
I really need to term this family. I have never termed before. The family that left in Nov left because of a job going from FT to PT and we left on good terms. They were sad to have to leave.
The oldest girl has says numerous times she hates coming here. The kids get mad when I only give them one snack after school. I let them choice what they want. They think they can have a cereal barl, fruit gummies, crackers, bananas, grapes etc.
Anyway, they are not a good fit for me or my children. I prefer younger kids. (up to kindy) and have had some calls/emails about childcare for 2-3 yr olds. My dd is excited about that.
I know there have been some threads on term letters. I never had to do one. Should I say that I need to go back to my 5pm close time, that I want to go back to prechool age children or what? I know some of you don't give a reason. But I think I should give some kind of reason.
pfund2233 07:02 AM 02-22-2012
Keep it short sweet and to the point. I decided last Aug no more SA. They are too much for me.

Sample Letter:

Dear ***x:

It is with much regret that I must inform you that I am no longer able to meet your childcare needs for ***x. ***x last day of care will be ***x.

I want to thank you for the opportunity to have gotten to work with ***x and your family.

I wish you and your family the best,
(your name)

MrsB 07:18 AM 02-22-2012
I agree, keep it short and simple, but as a mom I think I might want a tad bit more info. But dont give them an excuse that is a lie, they always have a way of finding out. If it were me, I would tell her that you can no longer meet the 5:45 pick up time, or that you decided to focus your daycare and are accepting toddlers only. But if you are saying that you would still be able to take the 3 year old.
cheerfuldom 07:30 AM 02-22-2012
Always keep it short and simple plus you have the fall back of the fact that you are no longer taking school agers at all. Would you be willing to keep just the 3 year old? Make sure you have an answer ready because they may ask.
Cat Herder 07:43 AM 02-22-2012
Keep it very simple, less is more.

Also, make sure all your paperwork, immunization records are up to date. It is HIGHLY likely you will get inspected very shortly after any termination.

Good luck!! It will be a huge weight off your shoulders once it is over.
melissa ann 08:55 AM 02-22-2012
Okay, I made up a letter. I'm going to give them an extra week notice (3 instead of 2) and a list of providers in our area. All of which have longer hours then me, 6am-6pm . I am 7am-5pm.
My3cents 09:43 AM 02-22-2012
Originally Posted by melissa ann:
Okay, I made up a letter. I'm going to give them an extra week notice (3 instead of 2) and a list of providers in our area. All of which have longer hours then me, 6am-6pm . I am 7am-5pm.
Be honest. Try working with the parents first. Tell them what is going on at care.

If you have done this already, then keep it brief and wish them well. Your going to run into them at future events through school, girl scouts, etc... have the break be on a nice terms.

I say be honest, because if they go somewhere else and they end up having the same problems and issues, the only way to help out the kids is if the parents know.

Best of luck-
wdmmom 10:02 AM 02-22-2012
Originally Posted by melissa ann:
I would never offer a list of other providers in the area...unless you know for certain what their credentials are, the level of care they provide, etc.

The last thing you want to happen is for them to be angry they are terming and even more angry when a potential provider on your list either does something wrong, doesn't make them happy, etc.

I would keep the letter short and sweet and not offer them any other providers information. They can conduct their own search Craigslist, the Yellow Pages, etc. for a new provider.
Tags:termination - bad fit
Reply Up