Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Unexpected Interview
TheGoodLife 07:56 PM 01-13-2014
Well, at least at the time. So I rescheduled a 5:00 interview today for 5:30- asked the mom if she would mind pushing it 30 minutes later (asked at 11 this morning) and she said that would be fine. I took a sub job and didn't get home until 4:30. Well, I only had a tiny bit to clean up when I got home, so 5:00 rolls around and I had just started to paint my 4 year old's nails. Dogs were in the house, 2 year old was in mismatched pants and her shirt backwards, DH was out grabbing food before the interview for the girls' dinner, 2 of Bella's nails were painted... and the doorbell rings Dogs freaking out, I'm answering the door with a (probably pretty) annoyed look, and it's the potential DCM. Barely a "sorry" when I mentioned that we had moved it from 5 to 5:30!
Boys seems very calm and sweet, neither parent was very talkative, but seemed nice enough- I just can't decide if I even want to send my contract or say sorry, my position isn't available (it's drop in for now- apparently her mom watches the boy but sometimes takes off with the stepdad and she needs a back up. She said sometimes her mom tells her at 11:30 at night! )
I could use the money, and she said it could go permanent in MArch when she goes back to school, but I can't decide if I want to after the whole "show up ringing the doorbell whenever the heck you want, after specifically changing from that time 6 hours earlier."
WWYD?
Laurel 03:06 AM 01-14-2014
Originally Posted by Mama2Bella:
Well, at least at the time. So I rescheduled a 5:00 interview today for 5:30- asked the mom if she would mind pushing it 30 minutes later (asked at 11 this morning) and she said that would be fine. I took a sub job and didn't get home until 4:30. Well, I only had a tiny bit to clean up when I got home, so 5:00 rolls around and I had just started to paint my 4 year old's nails. Dogs were in the house, 2 year old was in mismatched pants and her shirt backwards, DH was out grabbing food before the interview for the girls' dinner, 2 of Bella's nails were painted... and the doorbell rings Dogs freaking out, I'm answering the door with a (probably pretty) annoyed look, and it's the potential DCM. Barely a "sorry" when I mentioned that we had moved it from 5 to 5:30!
Boys seems very calm and sweet, neither parent was very talkative, but seemed nice enough- I just can't decide if I even want to send my contract or say sorry, my position isn't available (it's drop in for now- apparently her mom watches the boy but sometimes takes off with the stepdad and she needs a back up. She said sometimes her mom tells her at 11:30 at night! )
I could use the money, and she said it could go permanent in MArch when she goes back to school, but I can't decide if I want to after the whole "show up ringing the doorbell whenever the heck you want, after specifically changing from that time 6 hours earlier."
WWYD?
I usually go with my gut. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try it out since it is only drop in. I would say I wouldn't be answering the phone at 11:30 at night so she needs to give you more advanced notice.

This reminds me of an interview I had 2 weeks ago. I am going to retire later this year (not sure when) and didn't want to take any more but a neighbor called and said her friend was moving in the house down the street. I told her about not wanting any more and she asked if I could just watch the little girl until mom found someone else. So this mom rescheduled the interview twice I think. She is a teacher and was off for winter break so she switched days a couple of times. So then on the day of the interview (which was scheduled for 5:00 p.m.) she calls and says she has to go over to the new school and could we do it right then at 11:00 a.m. rather than re-schedule again.

I'm in Florida so we were out front riding bikes, etc. I had no make up on, the house was kinda messy with kiddie stuff but it is amazing how good it feels to not really need someone to enroll. I told her we were out front and give me 5 minutes to get her a lawn chair. So we sat out there and talked. Then it was time to go in for lunch so she came in. Her paperwork was all over the floor because when I copied it I didn't have paper tray out on the copier and they all flew on the floor. So I just scooped them up and stapled them together. It was the weirdest interview ever and I was slightly embarrassed but I just rolled with it because I didn't want to re-schedule yet again. I figured well if she sees me at my worst and still wants to come then that is ever better. So anyway, she enrolled on the spot and this is week 2 with her child.

Laurel
Lil'DinoEggs 04:37 AM 01-14-2014
Originally Posted by Mama2Bella:
WWYD?
Are you saying the money for drop in care is worth it or are you anticipating the March money? If it is the latter, then I say don't bother. 8 weeks is a long time and so much could happen. What if she misses registration or there is job changes. This is obviously coming from personal experience. Also, if you get annoyed by parents who seem aloof, these guys would drive you nuts.
Meeko 06:51 AM 01-14-2014
If you don't really need the money, I would pass on this one. She obviously doesn't think your personal time is important.....a red flag.

She either just didn't care she was screwing up your schedule, or she did it deliberately to try and "catch you" unprepared. Either one is not what I would want in a client. Shows zero respect.
TheGoodLife 07:22 AM 01-14-2014
I ended up sending my contract, but I do want to say something to her about adhering to times IF I do decide to take the boy on. I want to let her know that I expect people to follow their schedule (it is VERY clear in my contract, but I want to reiterate it to her) and that it is one of my most important policy. The boy seems like he's be a great fit and I could really use the income as I only have 2 PTers. Starting as a drop-in would be great, because if she doesn't follow my policies I'm not losing anything but a drop-in.
If anyone has a professional way to stress that I did not like her coming early unannounced and I will not accept that behavior in the future, I'd love advice there TIA! You ladies are all such a wonderful inspiration.
christine19720 07:36 AM 01-14-2014
Originally Posted by Meeko:
If you don't really need the money, I would pass on this one. She obviously doesn't think your personal time is important.....a red flag.

She either just didn't care she was screwing up your schedule, or she did it deliberately to try and "catch you" unprepared. Either one is not what I would want in a client. Shows zero respect.
This is how I would handle that one...
snbauser 09:28 AM 01-14-2014
I guess I am the odd one out here. Unless I am reading this wrong, I don't see that much of an issue with her showing at 5 vs 5:30 for an interview when the time was only changed 6 hours before. If she wasn't sure where she was going she may have left early to make sure she got there in time. Or she may have been coming directly from somewhere else and it didn't take as long to get there. I might be a little upset that she didnt' apologize for being early but that's it. If it is for drop in, I would just make it clear what the rules are and that the spot is not guaranteed. Then if it doesn't work out after the first couple of times I would just not have a spot when she called.
daycarediva 09:48 AM 01-14-2014
Originally Posted by snbauser:
I guess I am the odd one out here. Unless I am reading this wrong, I don't see that much of an issue with her showing at 5 vs 5:30 for an interview when the time was only changed 6 hours before. If she wasn't sure where she was going she may have left early to make sure she got there in time. Or she may have been coming directly from somewhere else and it didn't take as long to get there. I might be a little upset that she didnt' apologize for being early but that's it. If it is for drop in, I would just make it clear what the rules are and that the spot is not guaranteed. Then if it doesn't work out after the first couple of times I would just not have a spot when she called.
I would give it a shot. There is so little risk with a drop in. If you don't want to continue, you can always not have space when they call, or tell them that you have filled it with a regular client.
TheGoodLife 10:03 AM 01-14-2014
Originally Posted by snbauser:
I did decide to send my contract, but I will be wary of her at first. They live less than 5 minutes away and I explained that I needed to push it back from 5-5:30 due to scheduling with one of my daycare famies needed later care that day- I don't do interviews during daycare times. (She had cancelled our first interview last week a couple hours before, so this was a rescheduled time). I plan to tell her that I am on the fence and that I strictly follow my policies, which is set hours for the day and notification if a change of time is needed. I hope it works out, but I am leary- I don't do "open business hours" and have doors locked throughout the day. Here's hoping...!
Tags:interview
Reply Up